Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I was trying to resist buying anything for a while, but found a deal on a New York Central Dreyfuss Hudson, obviously not a Hornby product! Very nice model, DCC sound, puffing smoke, brass shell, wonderful, except it died after two loops of the track!

Back to the manufacturer for repair it goes.

Just got the new Star lovely runner but I nearly dropped it. Caught it but managed to break the rear of the Cylinder and slide bars off. I stuck them back together and all works well but have damaged some of the lining.

hmmmm Now if I were to graft

a front buffer beam from my spare County 4-4-0body and het some Grange cylinders,piston rod and pony truck I might end up with a decent Saint!

Just faced my latest inquisition. A lovely little Late BR crest Hornby Western Region 14XX 04-4 push and pull tank loco permanently attached to a maroon autocoach. It's specially DCC sound-fitted, plus directional and carriage lighting. I just love the

guard's bell. He actually exists as well, together with a coach load of passengers who all really enjoy their overnight stays in a station bay platform. They must be happy with that or they'd get up and leave, wouldn't they?

Graskie said:

Just faced my latest inquisition. A lovely little Late BR crest Hornby Western Region 14XX 04-4 push and pull tank loco permanently attached to a maroon autocoach. It's specially DCC sound-fitted, plus directional and carriage

lighting. I just love the guard's bell. He actually exists as well, together with a coach load of passengers who all really enjoy their overnight stays in a station bay platform. They must be happy with that or they'd get up and leave, wouldn't they?
Why

on earth didn't anyone correct me? Wheel arrangement is, of course, 0-4-2T.

I wanted a 25 ton Southern "Pillbox" Goods Brake Van. The local model shop said "Sorry, sold out of those a long time ago."

Then I went with John Spratley to Stroud Model Railway Exhibition. And there was my brake van!!

I am also kitbuilding

a Mink 'A' GWR goods van and a Container on Flat Truck vehicle. You used to see whole trains of these in the 1950s.

Southampton was the principal port for South America, so a lot of Argentinian and Brazilian meat arrived there, and was loaded into containers and put on wagons to come up to London on the LSW main line. Some went to Smithfield but a lot was then sent

forward to other towns and cities. So your container wagons might have a lot of meat containers loaded on them. Sometimes they were the only wagon type on a train.

I had already built a lot of 'Pill Box' brakes (both 25 and 15 ton versions) from Cambrian

kits before the blue box company brought theirs out.

the ferret said:

I wanted a 25 ton Southern "Pillbox" Goods Brake Van. The local model shop said "Sorry, sold out of those a long time ago."

Then I went with John Spratley to

Stroud Model Railway Exhibition. And there was my brake van!!

I am also kitbuilding a Mink 'A' GWR goods van and a Container on Flat Truck vehicle. You used to see whole trains of these in the 1950s.

Strictly speaking this isn't a new acquisition because I have had the kits in my possession over ten years, but I have today finished making a set of four Phoenix Maunsell high window corridor carriages. The kit is for the Restriction 1 version which are

narrower than the ones Hornby make, which gives them a slab sided appearance with hardly any 'tumblehome' (that is the curve under at the bottom of the body.)

Next up probably will be a DC Kits 6S DEMU.

I'll probably get banned for mentioning it, because I got a rival company's heavily discounted GBRf 66 so that I can swap the body-shell for their noisy Freightliner 66 shell, which doesn't look right in front of a rake of maroon (pretend West Coast) coaches!

I'd have preferred an EWS shell, but they seem to be like gold hen's teeth. I know there's one made as a special, due around Easter next year, from a shop near me.