Dave_wright_1986

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a play, as we do, on my second station    :read:   

Settell Station

/media/tinymce_upload/150308_Settle_station_north.jpg

The above image shows the north end of the station and island platform, station lights on.

Flower beds, seats, people are all new.

The signs are made from bamboo sticks painted in black enamel paint on card with scaled printed station name and logo. Northern-Rail

I still have seats and people to add to the main station. Looks like one lady is sleeping there already.  :keeporder:

/media/tinymce_upload/150308_Settle_station_south.jpg

The above image is the south end of the station and island platform, station lights off.

My hand painted upstand was not quite re-fit correctly, I need to remove the screws and adjust so that the station fits to the platform. I hadn't seen that when I put it together. Photographs show us things we are sometimes not ware of!   :scratchhead:

/media/tinymce_upload/150308_Settell_station_Flower_beds.jpg

Above is one of the flower beds - made from Metcalfe models Red Brick Builders sheets

Foam Flocking - in the flower boxes (blue is the glue not set yet, will dry clear)

JJT - Daisies 95543 either side of the shrub

ebay from China - topiary shrubs (£2.67 for 30 - postage Free)

People in station are mainly Hornby

/media/tinymce_upload/150307_Settell_Station_down.jpg

Above is a view looking down towards Settell station and island platform.

The cost was very small but, they do make the station look a little more natural

I hope you like them. 

PJ

Some pics of our 6 x 4 setup. Its only temporary as the Mrs. has given the green light to go for an 8 x 4 setup but the layout is something similar to what'll get setup onto the 8 x 4 board (Though I keep changing my mind on this every 5 mins).

16754643855_3bcca4594f_b.jpg

16753566972_401b3a943f_b.jpg

16547354577_5ef17d7e8a_b.jpg

Hi N0ddie

Your layout looks good, just a couple of thoughts if I may.

Have you adjusted the image it looks like is as been reduced in width making your trains look very narrow?

I notice your track goes close to the edge of the board, so does mine. Are you planning on putting sides on it as it is easy for a train to derail and fall over the edge?

PJ

Hi N0ddie

Your layout looks good, just a couple of thoughts if I may.

Have you adjusted the image it looks like is as been reduced in width making your trains look very narrow?

I notice your track goes close to the edge of the board, so does mine. Are you planning on putting sides on it as it is easy for a train to derail and fall over the edge?

PJ

When I posted the pics initially it appeared that my post didn't work ie. my post didn't show. Anyway. Yes my track went all the way to the edge of the board but I have since changed the layout (About 2 hours ago for the umpteenth time).

I now have the station on the straight with both 3rd radius and 2nd radius loops going through it. I want to extend the platform and station over roof kit all the way down the staright with platform ramp section at both ends to finish my station off. 

Ideally I'd like for the full trains to be able to sit fully covered under the roof. With the Pendolino being 4 ft long this means 8 sections of over roof (£200). Going to 8 x 4 board size should make this achieveable.

Quick question though. Whats the best way to fix the plastic platform sections (That the over roof sits into) onto the board? They (With the roofs attached) don't weigh much so they do move easily.

Hi N0ddie

You appear to have made a lot of changes in a short space of time, make sure, before you start fixing items to the base board, that you are certain this is your final change.  The other item I would conside is, would you at any time want to lift your layout as it appears to taking up quite a lot of floor space.

If there is any chance of changing items or lifting the board at a later date I would be cautious 'fixing' such items. The sides on my layout are screw fixed for easy removal, every platform station on my layout can be removed so that they do not get damaged when the board is lifted.

Don't forget you may want to lift the boards to do work underneath it, DCC Bus, Point motors, decoders, etc, etc. You may not do these now but, could you want to in the future, think ahead and play safe.

If it was my layout, I would make the roof removeable but also make it so it cannot move with vibration when on the layout, this can easily be done by making and fixing some small feet for upstands so the support legs for the roof slot into them.

It is your layout N0ddie, you have ideas and plans for it, do what you think is best for you and enjoy it . Good luck  ;o)

PJ

This board is just temporary until I procure the bits needed to go 8 x 4. The board will then go along the window wall (The wall at the top of pic no. 1).

I will be building 2 of 4ft x 4ft "frame tables" to fix the board to as this will make dismantling and relocation easier than it would be if the "frame table" was one big 8ft x 4ft one. Using this as a guide should ensure its built for futureproofing:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Hints%20&%20Tips.html

This board is just temporary until I procure the bits needed to go 8 x 4. The board will then go along the window wall (The wall at the top of pic no. 1).

I will be building 2 of 4ft x 4ft "frame tables" to fix the board to as this will make dismantling and relocation easier than it would be if the "frame table" was one big 8ft x 4ft one. Using this as a guide should ensure its built for futureproofing:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Hints%20&%20Tips.html

Brilliant N0ddie

You are thinking ahead and you should have access beneath the layout later. Very important as you are certain to need access for one reason or another at a later date.

Good luck with your layout, we look forward to more pictures (and possibly questions) as you progress.

Brian Lamberts website is crammed with good technical advice.

PJ

Hi all

Heres a link to a video of my layout. The audio has been laid over the top and is not from sound decoders.

Sorry but you will have to copy and paste something went wrong lol.

I have been building this, my first attempt for over 2yrs now off an on. It is 6x4 and I am using it as a learning curve so I can build another larger layout later (got a room 12x8 to play with). Almost all of the buidings (all Metcalfe) are done and in place, just two more to build. Then a bit of tarmacing and line painting to do along with some more lighting for street, station and buildings. Then populate with people and static items.

When the video was done the layout was operating automatically with railmaster, first program I have made.

Cheers

Steve

I just loved the way that heavy diesel blasted out of the tunnel Mr B. Move little guys I need the space.

Nice to see all the Metcalfe products on there (and the free mag signal box - I've got one). Looks great.

Wow! Very entertaining and well built, MB. What on earth will your new layout look like with all that extra room you mention? You'll be able to stand in the middle with it all going round the walls then, as I do with mine in a slightly smaller room than the one you have. I just loved that busy and varied station. Sounds as well. Camera a bit wobbly and I notice a lot of traffic seems to go by your house, but, yes, well done. Can't wait to see your bigger layout.

Thanks chaps.

Not sure what the larger one will be Graskie, got a few ideas in my head but nothing on paper yet.

I was contemplating dropping down to n gauge and building a huge layout but I think my eyes might struggle lol.

Have seen a layout in this months BRM that I quite like the idea of so thinking of a different version of it.

All the sound on the video was overlayed by my son when he put it on you tube.

Raf I love the Metcalfe kits, not too difficult to build and you can add extras to them which I still have to do.

Steve

Hi all

Heres a link to a video of my layout. The audio has been laid over the top and is not from sound decoders.

Sorry but you will have to copy and paste something went wrong lol.

I have been building this, my first attempt for over 2yrs now off an on. It is 6x4 and I am using it as a learning curve so I can build another larger layout later (got a room 12x8 to play with). Almost all of the buidings (all Metcalfe) are done and in place, just two more to build. Then a bit of tarmacing and line painting to do along with some more lighting for street, station and buildings. Then populate with people and static items.

When the video was done the layout was operating automatically with railmaster, first program I have made.

Cheers

Steve

Nice layout Steve, well thought out with the various levels etc. Well done.

Good video as well.  I repeat Graskies comments, can't wait to see what you do with all that extra space  ;o)

Are you the fisherman Steve or is that your son?  Team Diawa.

PJ

My ammended layout from last night:

16580768418_6f55606418_z.jpg

16767185601_5eced6c807_z.jpg

16582205509_f9010448fa_z.jpg

Trying my best to get my head around what layout I want for my bigger board. So that when its ready to put the track on I can get started on it straight away.

And the wee man's wooden layout:

16742471906_f4d17edc76_z.jpg