build more engines

Go_West

Hi live steamers

This Hornby product for me is the best thing to have been put together and sold in 00 and does what it says on the box. the only thing that is sad is that it is no longer in production.

So as some may know i have rebuilt other engines from the A3 FS and in time a new one will roll off the line which is a GWR Railmotor which just shows what Hornby could have done with this little package if they were to continue the line. I have some 16 or so LS engines A3 and A4 models and keep thinking of others to build but the cost to carry out the work engine and parts is going up.

A video will i hope be along soon but what do you think would be a model of your choice if Hornby cranked up a new engine.

Hi walkingthedog

i seem to have come accros you before and your comments come from sound thinking but you never know 30 years ago I built a Castle in 00 but never got it to run on steam but not long back people were saying they will never build steam engines again but we have Tornado and now I think they are to build 2 more so you never know. As for GWR a Castle is a nice engine and does it not hold some speed record for stop start running? me I like a King and some of the tank engines are very nice engines too.

Hi. Walkingthe dog.

once again you have all the info and news as to what's going on in steam maybe you might have info on GWR rail motors I never seem to get the right information on my models I think they all have a small fault somewhere and as I am getting closer to the paint pot what I hope to do is use the Airfix Auto coach as a trailer I think they called them so need to match the colours and decals with this coach but did the G W logo on the Airfix coach (the 2 shields ) be the right year? Or is it the Garter thing. I have seen a video of a rebuilt Railmotor in what looks like LMS red so why was that.

i will put some video up in the next day or two with what I have so far I am at this time working on a sound chip to give the bell code for start as the light system both I and Hornby use would not be seen as the boiler was deep inside the coach.

any in put by any one would be helpful

Hi. Walkingthe dog.

once again you have all the info and news as to what's going on in steam maybe you might have info on GWR rail motors I never seem to get the right information on my models I think they all have a small fault somewhere and as I am getting closer to the paint pot what I hope to do is use the Airfix Auto coach as a trailer I think they called them so need to match the colours and decals with this coach but did the G W logo on the Airfix coach (the 2 shields ) be the right year? Or is it the Garter thing. I have seen a video of a rebuilt Railmotor in what looks like LMS red so why was that.

i will put some video up in the next day or two with what I have so far I am at this time working on a sound chip to give the bell code for start as the light system both I and Hornby use would not be seen as the boiler was deep inside the coach.

The Great Western Railway went through a number of identity changes in its life. But it was also the only one that retained its identity and title from 1835 to 1947. Confused? I am!

In 1856 coaches were painted different colours depending upon class, First - yellow, Second - brown , Third - green.

From 1860 to 1908 the GWR painted their coaches chocolate brown with cream upper panels. Roofs were white.

In 1896 the 'chocolate' was described as light brown, lined yellow wiuth upper panels cream with brown lining.

In 1903 some coaches were painted all chocolate, and another train set painted crimson lake. Chocolate without the cream upper panels was used until 1911, lining was gold.

In 1912 the GWR started painting coaches all over crimson lake lined in gold (like the Midland Railway) and did so until 1922.

From 1918 a start was made to revert to chocolate and cream.

At grouping in 1923 the GWR continued the chocolate and cream livery for passenger stock, but the chocolate and the cream panels were no longer lined out. A horizontal waist line of black and gold line seperated the colours.

Some of the more important stock received extra lining out in gold in 1930.

Parcels and similar stock was usually painted brown.

As a air raid security measure in 1942 coaches were painted red brown but by 1943 the chocolate and cream made a gradual recovery.

From 1950 BR started to paint former GW corridor coaches in crimson & cream, the crimson loiwer panel and narrow roof band being separated from the cream panel surrounding the windows by lines of black and gold , and non-corridor plus parcels stock was painted in crimson, usually but not always lined black and gold.

The garter emblem had the GWR coat of arms inside it until about 1926 when the garter only was used. The garter vanished in 1928 to be replaced by the coat of arms. As art-deco style made an impact a device containing the letters GWR drawn into the shape of a circle appeared on some vehicles in 1936.

Hi. Walkingthe dog.

The Great Western Railway went through a number of identity changes in its life. But it was also the only one that retained its identity and title from 1835 to 1947. Confused? I am!

In 1856 coaches were painted different colours depending upon class, First - yellow, Second - brown , Third - green.

From 1860 to 1908 the GWR painted their coaches chocolate brown with cream upper panels. Roofs were white.

In 1896 the 'chocolate' was described as light brown, lined yellow wiuth upper panels cream with brown lining.

In 1903 some coaches were painted all chocolate, and another train set painted crimson lake. Chocolate without the cream upper panels was used until 1911, lining was gold.

In 1912 the GWR started painting coaches all over crimson lake lined in gold (like the Midland Railway) and did so until 1922.

From 1918 a start was made to revert to chocolate and cream.

At grouping in 1923 the GWR continued the chocolate and cream livery for passenger stock, but the chocolate and the cream panels were no longer lined out. A horizontal waist line of black and gold line seperated the colours.

Some of the more important stock received extra lining out in gold in 1930.

Parcels and similar stock was usually painted brown.

As a air raid security measure in 1942 coaches were painted red brown but by 1943 the chocolate and cream made a gradual recovery.

From 1950 BR started to paint former GW corridor coaches in crimson & cream, the crimson loiwer panel and narrow roof band being separated from the cream panel surrounding the windows by lines of black and gold , and non-corridor plus parcels stock was painted in crimson, usually but not always lined black and gold.

The garter emblem had the GWR coat of arms inside it until about 1926 when the garter only was used. The garter vanished in 1928 to be replaced by the coat of arms. As art-deco style made an impact a device containing the letters GWR drawn into the shape of a circle appeared on some vehicles in 1936.

Hi LC&DR

thanks for that history lesson I will have to print the above out and read it a few times before it sinks in but must be very interesting not only to me but others that read it.

will put a video together now and may be we can come back to this item again.

I think for the moment live steam is a bit like a famous southern railway owned narrow gauge line, it's sleeping. It's a premium range and we are in a deep recession or about to slip into another one if the gloom and doom merchants on tv and in the papers if they are to be believed, such premium ranges appeal to a slim portion of customers so now isn't the time for it. Maybe in the future that will change when world economics improve. The livve steam club people are keeping it going and trying to keep the interest going which is admirable but now is not it's time.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers SoT. In fact don't believe anything. Almost without fail, if I read something about a subject I know about, it's wrong. So that probably means they're all wrong.

I don't think Live Steam will ever reappear under the Hornby banner. I reckon they may sell the idea to another company.

I hope so, it would be a shame if it disappeared.

The SR. that sleeps I think is the Lyinton and Barnstaple which is just up the road from me and when I was up there a few months back have now got some of the original coaches and think that they are having an engine rebuilt. My father said never talk about religion and polititcs. Best leave that one out. Must go now and start filming this Rail motor hope it runs ok.

Hi LC&DR

thanks for that history lesson I will have to print the above out and read it a few times before it sinks in but must be very interesting not only to me but others that read it.

will put a video together now and may be we can come back to this item again.

As I put together the video of the Railmotor I now see that the plan sheet in the video shows the garter crest with the lettering GWR above it

I have the 2 shields of Bristol & London and the paint for brown,cream,white so would it still be ok or should I try to find the type that is on the plans?

I keep trying to think of what was the LC& DR I'll have to google it.

I have now googled the LC&DR and was interested to see that 'The Chatham', as it was sometimes known, was often criticised for its lamentable carriage stock and poor punctuality, but in two respects it was very good: it used the highly effective Westinghouse air brake on its passenger stock, and the Sykes 'Lock and Block' system of signalling. As a result it had an excellent safety record.

My father would tell me about Sykes lock and block and how you had to get all the different parts to work to lock signals and points I still have his old books on the signalling set ups which explain how it works. No doubt all computer systems now.

Still getting off the point with the logo thing?

• 2 months later...
I have now googled the LC&DR and was interested to see that 'The Chatham', as it was sometimes known, was often criticised for its lamentable carriage stock and poor punctuality, but in two respects it was very good: it used the highly effective Westinghouse air brake on its passenger stock, and the Sykes 'Lock and Block' system of signalling. As a result it had an excellent safety record. My father would tell me about Sykes lock and block and how you had to get all the different parts to work to lock signals and points I still have his old books on the signalling set ups which explain how it works. No doubt all computer systems now. Still getting off the point with the logo thing?

Sykes Lock and Block was a good system, and I have occasionally in the past worked under supervision  the signal boxes at Faversham and Selling which had it. (all long since closed) . Faversham was indeed a 'modern' 1959 power box but they fitted Sykes into the panel to work to Selling, or to Canterbury East if Selling was shut. 

The line was occasionally known as 'Undone, Smash'em and Turnover' by the popular contemporary press despite its reasonably good safety record.

/media/tinymce_upload/069_01_11_C.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/066_01_11_C.jpg

Hi Gowest

I've only just read this thread (live steam doesn't interest me) and it's too late to be of help, but you may like to see the attached couple of photos of the Railmotor at Didcot.

Attaching these photos may, or may not, work. If not..................sorry

It's great to here about the old systems which were devolved and worked well all them years ago when the railway employees were of a breed never to be seen again along with there skills. People like your self should write a book on the old times that kept the trains running I often think of my father and what he would say hearing on the news that main line stations were closed and no trains running as work had over run? He would tell me of winter nights unfreezing points on a high embankment with the snow and wind blowing up his coat and when making his way home early morning could over here suited gents look at there watch and say "the  8.30 is running late this morning"

still I am running my A4 Dwight D Eisenhower which has not had a run for over a year and is going very well at all speeds down to a crawl what great models these are.

Hi postman prat

like the pictures of the above Railmotor it does give very fine details of the layout of most of the parts and one day time permitting will go and see it.

it did run down this way Cornwall but I missed it but found the video of it running on the web I still think the red looks wrong and my paint job may also be wrong but It works for me.

still waiting to finish the electronics then can take some video of it and the setting up and bell code system If it works?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi walkingthedog i seem to have come accros you before and your comments come from sound thinking but you never know 30 years ago I built a Castle in 00 but never got it to run on steam but not long back people were saying they will never build steam engines again but we have Tornado and now I think they are to build 2 more so you never know. As for GWR a Castle is a nice engine and does it not hold some speed record for stop running? me I like a King and some of the tank engines are very nice engines too.

They say good things come around so you never know someone at Hornby, Bachmann or one of the increasing number of independent railway modellers may take up this niche again. As Gowest has said Tornado was the start and I know of 2 other engines being built so someone may have a brainwave and release ' Live Steam Models' again.

• 5 months later...

1014 county of glamorgan

2001 Cock o'the north

2007 prince of wales

2013 prnice george

2999 lady of legend

2MT 84030

32424 Beachy head

3MT 7702

3MT 82045

45551 The Unknown warrior ( fowler 2-6-4t next when 45551 is finished)

5AT

61662 Manchester United

61673 sprit of sandringham

72010 Hengist 6MT

8783 Phoenix

F5 789

G5 1759

GCR 567

j39 64960

LNWR Bloomer 670

Thomson L1

baby deltic 

and class 22 are all on the go

The B17 team are starting to make some progress with the Drawings.  Plus the idea of having two tenders for this locomotive will mean it will be able to look different.  And will give the photographers on their feet trying to get a photo in both states 

Archived