What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

It is certainly 1 step backwards then 2 steps forward at the moment on the 2 new bay platforms as I keep changing plans..

Tonight I decided to add a loco stabling siding off platform 1 and so took up the metre of track I had laid - luckily only partly pinned down. In its place went a small Y point and the short siding plus a siding off the double slip to facilitate running round in the bays or hold a loco to back onto an incoming longer service and thus release the train engine that way. .

The metre of track into platform 1 was re-positioned as well so it all looks a lot further on especially after buffer stops were fitted. The track needs wiring up together with the Y Point motor that is attached to the underside of the point in a hole in the baseboard. Wires are soldered to the motor but not connected to the switch panel.

I will have enought room for a three coach train to be run round via a short radius crossover at the buffer stop end of the platforms. 

Still lots to do, laying the rest of track to platforms 1 and 2 and the crossover then lots of testing bfore the intereeting track laying stops and its planting the platformsm track ballasting. and signalling. I think I will have enought track - although using up small offcuts -  but do need some base units to hold 2 point motors for the double slip that will be on the surface

Its all good fun though ! 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had some time in the loft tonight, but little to show for the time spent as usual. I did manage to lay the engine release crossover and some track leading to it, so just about 2 x 1 foot lengths of straight track to cut for between the crossover and the buffer stops.

I also pinned down some previously placed track, but had to resort to the magnet to find stray track pins on the layout - they seem to get everywhere - as I had run out..

Otherwise, no idea where my 2 hours went, but it took a while to hack out a hole in the baseboard for a point motor as it was partly above a 2 x 2 " supporting timber. No room for a surface mounted motor so I had to butcher the baseboard. 

Should soon be all wired up though and I think I am going to try an uncoupling ramp. 

Had another session in the loft last night and again progress but not much really. I have laid the final 2 x 1 foot lengths of track and its pinned down, so I then drilled 12 holes in the control panel and screwed in the 9 switches I had available.

Nexttask is to wire up the sections and the point motors and test them before laying down platforms. Most are made up from before but some need repairing. The next problem is the station building. My existing SQuick one is looking tatty after 20 plus years and I need something else in brick to match the SQuick island platform buildings. I have just realised I will also need 2 more Island platform buildings as well - i have 2 on each of the other 2 island platforms. 

It may be that I will have to get a new SQuick main station building.

A couple more sessions in the loft and I have wired up 5 of the 7 sections to the switches on the control panel and hence to one of the controller feeds.

These 5 sections have been tested and seem to work fine. I also found three on-off switches which are OK for the  sidings as they only need to be energised by the track section preceding them - so dont need direct feeds from both controllers - they take power from whichever controller is being used for the preceding section.

These are all on On-Off-On ( centre off) switches so that either controller can power any section.  . 

So just 2 sections to go, a double slip, crossover and a point to wire up then I can add the feed from the second controller to the 4 section switches that need dual control capability. 

If it was not for the sound capabilities I would still be championing "cab control" as opposed to DCC !! Too late for me for DCC now - it would be a major task and major expense to modify the layout. 

A little more progress this week, I have started wiring up the points. Three now have the earth connected and wires to connector blocks near the control panel. Plus one solitary wire is linked into the block on the control panel and all the connections so far made have been tested with the three points throwing over nicely. 

It all seems to take time though but at least progress can be seen to be made. Some way to go yet as the double slip does not even have point motors attached yet. I did "slip" up with that though as the original planned position for it was over a supporting timber so I was going to hide the motors under a water tower.

Just realised the other night I positioned the slip in the end where there was no supporting timber so should have attached the motors under the slip. Looks like the traxk work will have to be partially removed tosort this out as I do prefer motors under the baseboard. .   

So - why convert back - never thought this would ever happen ? 

I an on DC but only because the cost of conversion would be far too high as I would want to do it for the sound and adding sound to 50 plus locoa would not be cost effective. 

Plus I do like the control panels with the switches to control the sections. 

On my previous layout I did have the close points operated by levers and wire in tube and thought that was better than point motors - bit this time I am using all point motors. 

I'm still at the beginning stage of getting rid of rail joins on curves and converting my Electrofrog Peco turnouts for safer DCC operation. It's a fairly tedious job sorting the turnouts, with all the wiring involved, but will hopefully help in the end to avoid shorts on them.

I'm also testing a couple of recently received all-singing, all-dancing locos with my Elite, and then setting them up on RM.

Managed to wire up and test a point, 2 points on one switch as a crossover and 1 point motor for a double slip - so progress made - including lifting the double slip and Y point and some track to make holes in the baseboard for the 2 point motors of the double slip. 

Not without issues - I attached a second point motor to the double slip and a bit later noticed it was loose. Basically the plastic bit that the point motor lugs fasten in to at one end had shattered. It was a s/h item so I assume its gone brittle with age although it looked as good as new. I will have to attach one of the motors on the surface - not an issue - it was two that would have taken some hiding. 

As I need a base for the surface point motor, that cant be fully done yet but I can connect up other wiring ready for it. Plus I have another point to do as well, with only the power to the control panel switch and the actual motor attached to the point done on that.

Then two more section to wire up and it will be done - then lots of testing before going any further. All good fun of course - apart from me inadvertently bringing down from the loft a lot of wood shavings that were on my back .... I am not so popular at the moment ..........

Today I have continued to run 12 v DC supply cables to the garden railway, used the garden blower to remove leaves on the line, splashed a bit of creosote on to the sleepers and then did a bit more painting to an old O gauge locomotive. In between going shopping, and taking the car for repair.

I haven't got a clue what they're about Graskie. I'm not sure some of those posting on it do either. They seem to be digging themselves into more and more holes going over the same things. Still each to his own I guess, they seem to be enjoying it. 

AC seems to have his finger on the pulse though. 

Had a day off yesterday and had a few hours in the loft.

Managed to wire the remaining 2 sections and a point and all the other wiring save for installing a point motor for the double slip. I need a surface mounted base.

I also tested the wiring and its fine, but did have to remove a point as one earth wire had detached from the point motor, so a while wasted there - but all OK  now.

Such a shame the plastic broke on the double slip and I am having to revert to a surfave motor as otherwise all the wiring would be done.  

I will probably be having a good throw-out of all the surplus bits and pieces I have left over from various models I have canabalised which are likely to be of no use (if there is such a thing!)

Then if I get a moment I'll carry on stripping down my ex- TVR U1 bought off ebay. It's a good runner but the paint job is not great, the person that made it also chopped too much of the Hornby doublo chassis and the trailing wheels/pony truck look as though they are are from an Airfix Prairie.

I think I will need to 3d print a new trailing bogie and will probably do the same for the chassis front but I've not decided yet.

Sadly my third attempt at a 3d print of a GWR 517 body has only just left Holland so I will have to wait 'till next week to see if it will finally fit my Hornby 14XX chassis. The 3d hald print was OK but the locating lug at the back of the body was too short so I extended it on this version, but have I done enough or too much...  

I will probably be having a good throw-out of all the surplus bits and pieces I have left over from various models I have canabalised which are likely to be of no use (if there is such a thing!)

And I can guarantee that as soon as you get rid of something that'll be the bit you want the following week. 

Never, Never, throw anything to do with model railways out! That is my motto!!

After 40 years* I still find a use for any old bits and pieces. (Actually I did fill a dustbin with rusty track earlier this year).

* I came back into the hobby 40 years ago after giving all my train stuff to my little brothers when I got married. Bad move! (Giving the stuff away, not getting married, I hasten to add just in case SWMBO reads this!!)

Archived