What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

Trouble is I have never thrown anything out (knowingly). The bits in question are broken coach bodies part undefframes etc. where I have stripped everything off and used them to restore other models. Hopefully in doing so I'll find all those hornby bogies I salvaged from some thomas coaches and be able to fit them to my night mail coach so it maches my GWR TPO!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently building some retaining walls out of brick paper and card.  As I have about an 8 foot length I decided that buying them ready made or in kit-form would be quite expensive compared to DIY, but cutting out neat arches is hard work and I've already got through a couple of knife blades so I'm thinking it was a bit of a false economy.  Still, I'd rather be doing this that watching X-factor.

With it being a BH weekend I'm hoping the extra day will allow me to complete my Wye turnout extension. My layout is in a partitioned area within my garage and the main tracks are four ovals. When I built this I put two spurs on the outer circuit so I could extend into the adjacent workshop/tool store. Well over the last few months I've cut two 'small' holes through the wall, built the support framework in the adjoining room and recently laid the track with the extra points. They have point motors and I tried setting up on RM but there's a problem in how RM displays paired points so I've bought another Accessory Decoder [no more spare terminals on my existing two 8 channel AD's] and need to fit & connect that. I thought I could use a small relay to sort out the reverse polarity but although it works fine on my desk I haven't got it working on the layout yet. I think I'll need to get a cheap webcam so I can see what's happening in the next room [or I could wait for LD]! If it's successful I should be able to turn around full trains of up to 8 carriages.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been on here for a while as on 23rd August lighting struck the village and took out the phones and hence internet. We had an ADSL filter blow apart on the phone line to the SKY box and it took out the box/TV and DVD.

BT finally arrived after 12 days and replaced a frazzled main BT socket but there were still issues with the lines outside the house. It has finally been restored today after 18 days...........but a lot of damage was caused to the BT network so its understandable.

All neighbours had issues including a skirting board being blown off !!! Honest - seen it for myself.

On the railway, I got the surface mount for a point motor for the double slip and so the bay platforms are now wiired and tested. I then started on the SQuick terminus kit as I need to know the footprint so I can position it at the end of the platform tracks and then lay platform from the terminus building down platofrms 1 2 and 3. It looks like the bay platform tracks will need extending by 6 inches or I may do it by 12 inches and moved the engine release crossover to allow running around 4 coaches instead of the current 4.

I have also just realised that the 2 new bay platforms can only exit to the branch and have no access to the main line - a bad design error on my part but I have a solution with a single slip that will allow one of the bays access the branch and the main line which is fine - keeping platform 1 solely to serve branch trains. It will however mean that through platform 3 will only be able to accommodate a 5 coach train though instead of the current 6.

Or another solution also with use of a single slip would allow both bays to access the branch and main line and also keep 6 coach capability on platform 3. However I would lose the platform 4 to branch capabilty from the present design. 

I am favouring the latter option as it stands as I would lose less capability that way.  Great fun though isn't it !

I have not been on here for a while as on 23rd August lighting struck the village and took out the phones and hence internet. We had an ADSL filter blow apart on the phone line to the SKY box and it took out the box/TV and DVD.

BT finally arrived after 12 days and replaced a frazzled main BT socket but there were still issues with the lines outside the house. It has finally been restored today after 18 days...........but a lot of damage was caused to the BT network so its understandable.

All neighbours had issues including a skirting board being blown off !!! Honest - seen it for myself.

On the railway, I got the surface mount for a point motor for the double slip and so the bay platforms are now wiired and tested. I then started on the SQuick terminus kit as I need to know the footprint so I can position it at the end of the platform tracks and then lay platform from the terminus building down platofrms 1 2 and 3. It looks like the bay platform tracks will need extending by 6 inches or I may do it by 12 inches and moved the engine release crossover to allow running around 4 coaches instead of the current 4.

I have also just realised that the 2 new bay platforms can only exit to the branch and have no access to the main line - a bad design error on my part but I have a solution with a single slip that will allow one of the bays access the branch and the main line which is fine - keeping platform 1 solely to serve branch trains. It will however mean that through platform 3 will only be able to accommodate a 5 coach train though instead of the current 6. 

Or another solution also with use of a single slip would allow both bays to access the branch and main line and also keep 6 coach capability on platform 3. However I would lose the platform 4 to branch capabilty from the present design. 

I am favouring the latter option as it stands as I would lose less capability that way.  Great fun though isn't it ! 

Not the weekend, but yesterday I was building some steps out of concrete blocks and slabs so that I can get into the centre of the oval round my lawn while trains are running. I am now waiting for the mortar to set before I try them.

Today I gave my Metropolitan Bo-Bo a 30 minute each way running in session on an oval of track on our dining table. Being all axle driven it is too long to fit comfortably on the rolling road.

I have actually just completed a major overhaul of the four main running and side lines on my DCC layout. I have now:

- Reduced the maximum height of my upper level double track by 1cm with corresponding adjustments to the two inclines.

- Replaced all track joins on curves with jointless track sections.

- Above all, replaced about 17 Peco points with newer ones allowing for easier fitting of live frog control from their underneath point motor accessory switches, all of which was accomplished with just a bit of head banging. Some of my old points already sold on eBay with several others there now and even more to come.

- vacuumed and cleaned all the mentioned trackwork.

- Tested for DCC electrical connectivity. All systems go.

Now it's merely a question of sitting down to totally flawless running sessions...................????????????

Thanks for everyone's extremely helpful advice on how to set about this exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

Attending AMRA Exhibition at Whitlam Leisure Centre, Liverpool, NSW, Australia this October long weekend. Hoping to meet up with some BRMA members there. Posting this pic of me and my good lady from last years BRMA Conference in Adelaide, S.A. so they might recogise us :)

/media/tinymce_upload/21a1d5298adaad8563d8e2d0dad8fef1.JPG

I was going to do some outside painting yesterday but after a sunny start the fog dropped so it was too clammy to paint, but all was not lost as I headed into the loft in the afternoon and evening.

I got on well and removed the pointwork at the approach to the 2 bay platforms and also two double slips that I bought secondhand. One turned out to have brittle plastic and needed a surface point motor as a lug had broken off, but it was just not convenient to site a hut on top of it as it transpired, whereas I have lots of room at the other slip location.

I also removed the crossover and track at the end of the 2 bays, so at that stage the station was looking forlorn almost as if Beeching had struck with two through roads and the bays out of action with severed connections.

However, I have started the re-build, with the approach to the bays re-laid to include a single slip and so access from the bays to the Down Main is now possible. The only sacrifice has been there is no platform 4 to branch route, but the additional flexibility outweighs this loss. Through platforms 3 and 5 can still access the branch so enough optios there. .

I also swapped over the double slips but the through platforms are not back in use as it all needs wiring up. Next step though is to extend the 2 bay plaforms to enable 4 coach trains to be run around and facilitate locating the terminus station building that will sit at the end of the bays. 

All good fun of course !

I've just fitted another monitor, and a dual outlet card to my dedicated RM computer, so I can split the RM display. Following an earlier post in the RrM section I have also edited my layout plan so it fits on the screen at 1:100, so frustrating before - having to change the scale every time. I still have to move some of the icons out of the way and slip the track slightly to the left [and spread the display across two monitors] but small price to pay. Another reason for the dual display was I've extended my layout into the adjacent room to fit a Wye junction, I will be fitting a Webcam so I can see the junction and needed the extra display space to show the camera picture./media/tinymce_upload/fe31d2f89d1a52c5eeca116afe221ffd.jpg

At the AMRA exhibition in Liverpool, NSW I picked up the following:

new R2881 Black 5, Xuron cutters, LED headband magnifier, 'third hand' tool, die cast (painted) dogs, cats, (unpainted) row boat, office furniture, fishermen and horses-&-cart, and

2nd hand R9633 Skale Regis Station

and swollen ankles 3 days in a row!

Managed to get my bashed dual-motor Railroad Class 56 working at the weekend - the new ringfield motor bogie I installed wouldn't run when paired in the chassis and a strip down showed one of the motor brushes had started to break up and was jammed in the brush holder - new spring and brush and a sweep out and its AOK now.

I'm surprised I can run both ringfields off an R8249 rating decoder, but so far no problems without a heavy rake to haul on my short layout. If its a problem later I'll bung a Sapphire in. 

I had a further 30 mins in the loft Sunday and laid some plain track and the release crossover in the bay platforms.

Last night I went to do a "simple" job cutting a hole in the baseboard for the subway steps  - to be re-used from a layout of 17 years ago. However, of course, the location had to be above the framework for the baseboard so it was not just a jigsaw cut. Anyway it is done so now that the subway is in position I can start laying island platform 2/3 towards the site of the terminus building. Once that is reached and its position determined by the lengths of the platform - I  dont want to cut the platform  - I can then complete laying plain track from the release crossover towards the station building. After that I can then start coming back the other way with platform 1. A lot of the platform is made up from the previous layout but will need more constructing.

I also still have a 12 inch length of track to cut and lay that will link the bay platform roads to the branch, and then all the additional sections and ponts wired up - so a long way to go yet. .

So Beeching is being defied - here is a mid sixties layout where a station is being enlarged to cater for increased traffic !!! Roll on my birthday when I will get the emaining four maroon coaches from my MK 1 bundle as by then - 3 weeks - I should be able to use them on services. I am looking foreward to having the 5 through platforms each with a train formed of rakes of maroon MK 1s - Hornby, Lima and Bachman. Plus a couple of branch trains in the bays to give a sea of maroon !

A useful period in the loft last night as a 14" section of plain track was inserted between the single slip and the branch - down main line track so track is now completed to allow branch trains to reach platforms 1-3 as well as 5. No access to 4 but not a problem. 

I also soldered a connection to the new track, wired up and tested a point motor and laid several pieces of SQuick island platform adjacent to  the section with the subway.  

Off work tomorrow but the wife works mornings so should get more done !! When the cat is away....

I've just fitted another monitor, and a dual outlet card to my dedicated RM computer, so I can split the RM display. Following an earlier post in the RrM section I have also edited my layout plan so it fits on the screen at 1:100, so frustrating before - having to change the scale every time. I still have to move some of the icons out of the way and slip the track slightly to the left [and spread the display across two monitors] but small price to pay. Another reason for the dual display was I've extended my layout into the adjacent room to fit a Wye junction, I will be fitting a Webcam so I can see the junction and needed the extra display space to show the camera picture.

I like what you have done with the split screen, makes it much easier to see everything. I see you want the extra screen space for a web cam, but It would be great if RM allowed more than 2 coloumns of locos so you could see all your locos without scrolling. I'm using a desktop for RM, what video card did you get for the split screen?

Terry

Terry,

I have always thought two monitors would be good but didn't realise until a post a month or so ago that RM worked with it. That's probably a misnomer because provided your Computer can display the dual screen you can drag and extend the RM window. That's what I've done, it's still only one 'window' but luckily I can fit the 'layout' part on one monitor and the 'loco' part sits very nicely on the right side monitor. I will not need to display the Webcam often, indeed only when I'm using the Wye branch and I think that might be quite rarely so I agree it would be nice to increase the number of locos.

The salvaged video card was from Ebay and only cost £12, I searched and shortlisted a few candidates BUT my son is a IT technician and I had him check which was likely to be suitable before buying. The card has two DVI outlets, several cards I looked at had only one outlet connection and you would need a splitter cable/connector - more cost! A point bearing in mind is I simply needed dual monitors, I wasn't looking for a fantastic games performance that you'll get with the expensive new cards.

There are variations in the connection types in every Computer so please don't assume you could fit the same type as me. However, my card was PCIE [i believe this refers to the slots it plugs into in your computer] Quadro FX570 256MB DDR2 PCI-Express x16 Graphic Card.

Some more time in the loft tonight so another track section has been wired up and 5 other existing but possibly disturbed sections tested. A pair of points were also connected up and tested with further connections made to another point.

Slow job though as its a maze of wires on the control panel and under the baseboard. Its relatively organised but there are just so many wires. Roll on tomorrow ! .   

Had just over 2 hours in the loft today concentrating on the wiring. It was mostly a case of troubleshooting as the re-laying of track had led to wires being disconnected. Just the bay platorm ends and a short siding to lay now , These sections need wiring as well as the point motors for a single slip and a panel switch for a new section. 

I was interested to read about a single slip only needs one switch to operate it and I suspect that is the case, and will be testing the throry in due course. I did use 2 switches on my other single slip.

Sufficeinetwiring is now in place to enable me to add a section of basenoard to site the station building and the ends of the bay platforms.

However, I think I need to have a clear up first and get some trains running again now that most of the wiring is re-instated. 

Archived