Pro Pack - Best of its benefits as experienced by users

PJ, I'm not convinced that any RM upgrade is needed for LD, paid or otherwise.  As we know, there is already extensive LD capability built in, we are only waiting for the hardware to implement it.  Which further strengthens my argument the patent is in the hardware not the software.

That doesn't mean there won't be more capability in future though.

@PJ

Thanks for that info PJ... thorough and of great help. I will check the links and the Train Tech signals forthwith...

Just before I do that though.. what do you mean by saying the "programming is done from the top of the layout not underneath"? Is this the decoder being in view on top of the layout or something else you are describing?

Hi AC

Sorry if not clear.  Most decoders are under our layout, if anything goes wrong we have to get under the layout or lift it. With the Train Tech signals the decoder is in the base of the signal, therefore above the layout not below it.  There are two small contacts on the edge which a single piece of wire touches to put the signal/decoder into learn  mode. You just set your signal on screen to the aspect before green, touch contacts to go to learn mode then click the signal on screen to go to green. That's it set up. 

Note: it is important to set your signal the aspect before green before setting any signal, so for a 2 aspect you set on screen red, for a 3 aspect you set on screen to Yellow, for a 4 aspect you set the screen signal to Double Yellow. 

When you are ready just add a note on here, Ray, myself or others will help when you are ready. I word it that way as Ray knows more than anyone, no disrespect to others when I say that.

For general guidance at this stage

4 aspect are usually on high speed lines, including Red - Stop, Yellow 'proceed with extra caution', Yellow 'proceed with caution' and Green  - Clear.

3 aspect on reasonably fast lines or other wise but are used when a definate Red or Green needs a 'proceed with caution' signal Yellow signal.

2 aspect are often used for leaving stations, branches and entrance to sidings where just Red - Stop or Green - Clear are needed.  

Note there are also siding ground signals which you will see on the link I gave previously, I have pictures of these on my layout if you need to see them, they work the same as a 2 aspect signal.

This info. is provided as guidance.

We will wait for your questions AC... enjoy  ;o)

If you knew the above, I apologise, maybe it will be useful to someone.  ;-}

PJ

PJ, I'm not convinced that any RM upgrade is needed for LD, paid or otherwise.  As we know, there is already extensive LD capability built in, we are only waiting for the hardware to implement it.  Which further strengthens my argument the patent is in the hardware not the software.

That doesn't mean there won't be more capability in future though.

Hi Fishy

We know all that and agree we are waiting for Hornby to get the patent and have the hardware produced. We also know RM software has as many LD commands as they can add for now, included for us to view and get a feel for the system.

I am quite sure as HRMS iron out the current signal issues within RM, they will also be fixed for LD as they overlap or work with each other depending how we program the options they will on release of the software make available to us. (Upgrade = software revision with signal fixes) Although we report signal issues to HRMS, which as mentioned earlier are mainly program or sequence issues, they are not just testing them in RM they are testing them with LD. Another reason we know we have to be patient, frustrating as it is as time goes on and signals have been on our layouts for months. This is just general working of signals at this stage, not feathers, although they are working on these as well. LD will probably come before feathers way things are going but, LD with all current signal issues fixed will be a good start, I think. ;o)

There will be other improvements and enhancements, HRMS have said so during discussions whilst signal testing...

'there is a lot more coming.'

PJ

I understand what you are saying but...

I said RM & LD working with each other.  eg. Signal commands in LD

See list of commands for LD below...

On signal green

On signal red

On signal yellow

On signal double yellow

On signal Flash Yellow

On signal Flash double

On signal Flash Green

For loco(s)

For train types(s)

For forward direction

For reverse direction

For any direction

Stop loco

Stop loco on signal

Resume loco on signal

Reduce loco speed to

Increase loco speed to

Set to cruise speed

Switch right point

Switch left point

Set clear signal

Set danger signal

Activate loco function

Play sound file

Run program file

They will need to and will work together.  LD will send packets of relevant data for RM to process.

Train or carriage passes over sensor, sensor ID & train, tender or carriage ID sent back to RM which then processes any commands relating to the two items of information sent back.  As both are processing data I see that as 'work together'  I will hold my hand up if I am wrong.

PJ

I'm with Fishmanoz on this one.  LD, nothing to do with Signals.

Ditto RDS on that  - that answer is in the name - Loco Detection not Signals Detection.

LD = When I see a loco I know what it is and I do something even if nothing as instructed, although that something may be or include something to do with a signal:

e.g 1 - if loco exists at this detector then set signal to stop/go at some other location.

e.g. 2 - if loco exists at this detector and signal at somewhere is red/green then stop/start this loco.

@PJ

Thanks for the info re the signals PJ... very valuable and informative. Some things I did 'sort of' know but a lot I didn't.

This will be copied for future reference for myself only and I am still to check that link you offered up. I will do that when done on here.

The fact that there are still issues with signals and RM doesn't matter too much to me at this stage because I know this will be fixed sooner rather than later. I am adding some pull-out boards to the underside of the layout base to take the laptop and mouse while the eLink unit will fixed to a side wall of the units beside the laptop. Wiring is being sorted for this now and is stripped ready to place. I will run a couple of circuits of test track before doing any permanent droppers and will be testing things like the points and signals then. Hopefully all within weeks or a couple of months dependant on my business needs.

I took in what you said re the Train Tech signals and how they are wired. Do you see this as a disadvantage or a mere inconvenience to have wiring above the boards? Or have you drilled through the boards to wires underneath e.g. a bus?

Can you post a pic or two showing what you describe in your post? It might be of interest to others too.

Thanks for your help on this one... Pro Pack purchase about to initiate... just need to persuade the mouse to click the right buttons!

Do you mean your mouse is an unwilling participant in the things you want it to do PJ?  Or maybe Windows is unwilling to have you do things on its computer, given it nows heaps more than you do and will likely only mess things up?

It was MY mouse Fishy mate... unless I missed something earlier... lol

Thanks for your help on this one... Pro Pack purchase about to initiate... just need to persuade the mouse to click the right buttons!

My cat sometimes clicks my mouse and presses a lot of keys (which i probably why I need a new kyboard)

Oops, slip of the finger AC.

Just correcting the last part of my sentence referred to, it should say "given it knows heaps more than you do and you will likely only mess things up."

And the answer is?

No probs Fishy... ah yes, the noble knowledgeable mouse. It seems it does know more than me... I have been struggling lately to get that thing (sorry, it's listening...) glorious wonder of science to do stuff I request of it with the kindest possible words in mind.

Of course, they are only in my mind... coz I curse it when it doesn't do its job properly... it verges on the insane at times and it really should be locked up... lol

Now it's run out in a huff... :-) Ah well, my keyboard is my friend... :-)

Been looking at the Train Tech signals on their pages overnight and I must say they are decent ones. They aren't what I thought they were. I am probably stuck with the image of the Hornby ones I have from the eighties and so will do some more research to see if they are right for me. Although I am leaning more to a generic layout for three of the four sides of the plan these must fit in with the seventies look and BR Blue diesel. I admit I didn't check that detail on site so if anyone can reliably inform me they are correct for that period, I suspect they will be, then that will be great.

Onward with the woodwork then...

• 8 years later...

You have resurrected an 8 year old thread that is not actually related to your specific issue.

There are two activation codes (license keys) in Railmaster. The main RM program one, plus another supplementary one for ProPack. When you 'deactivate' RM on the old PC as part of the move from one PC to another. Both license keys are deactivated. Read manual pages 131 & 132.

As well as activating the main Railmaster program on the replacement PC, that according to your posted text you appear to have done successfully. You also have to re-enter the original purchased 'ProPack license key unlock code'.

If you didn't keep a record of it, you will have to purchase another. This unlock code 're-purchase when lost' policy is stated in the manual (last red text paragraph in middle of page 131).

The 'ProPack' unlock code is entered on the 'Loco Detection' tab displayed in the 'System Settings' screen.