Airfix 1/32 Aston Martin DB5

Ratch

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1312/4776356/18877177/391060576.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1312/4776356/18877177/391060574.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1312/4776356/18877177/391060573.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1312/4776356/18877177/391060572.jpg

• 6 months later...

Where to begin?

Front and rear lights - terrible. Nothing like the actual car.

Body too long/narrow.

Terrible fitting parts - gaps all over the place.

Awful spoked wheels with centre spinners that would be  the size of plates on a real car.

No inner door panels of any kind.

Many kits seem to arrive with very warped body shells.

Basically, a very old, worn out tooling.

The one shown built is a great reslut from a very very old kit.

A new version would sell very well I have no doubt.

Mine came in a Type 11 box, so 1995 - 2000. I bought this kit as Milton Keynes Modelkraft Show. The assembly sequence is illustrated in three exploded views with a fourth drawing as a paint guide. Three sets of number plates are printed. The light grey mouldings carry quite a bit of flash. Construction is quite simple, although the exploded drawings are over-simplified that may lead to parts being incorrectly positioned. Having initially cementing the dashboard to the chassis, I discovered that it would be better glued to the body shell after the glazing had been fitted.

The body shell and the cabin were then given a coat of Halford’s acrylic grey primer. I experimented with Tamiya  X-10: Gun Metal. The gunmetal caught the look of James Bond’s car in the films Goldfinger and Thunderball. I assembled the sub-assemblies and added the smaller parts before touching up the paintwork where necessary. My finishing touch was to make the number plates. These are strips of Plastikard, painted black with the digits made up from 8” RAF serials in 1/72 by Ventura.

• 2 weeks later...

The most expensive British car, that was ever auctioned: an Aston Martin DB4 GT (Zagato?), sold for 14,3 Mio. dollars at Sotheby's New York. Wouldn't this be the Aston Martin we want as an Airfix kit instead that Starter Kit DB5? (Photo: AP).

/media/tinymce_upload/27945d710727e68d96029f3938ed01f7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Re-tool the DB5 for a 2016 market.

It would sell by the truck-load.

Stop fobbing everyone off with the ancient moulding we currently get.

They aren't "fobbing" anybody off with anything. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you do, then do. How have you been fobbed off? You didn't buy one thing and find another in the box, did you?  At some point you're going to have to accept that cars are just not a core market for Airfix. They may dabble, but it will never be a focus.

Thing is Drewe, if I were a new modeller and saw the kit with 'New' on it I'd think 'oh that's good' and buy it.  It doesn't have to be a car kit of course.

roy_fitzimmons clearly knows it's a mould way past its prime, others might not be so aware. I fully support Airfix in its new tools, but I tend to agree with others - if the kit is labelled 'new' when it isn't, then isn't it fobbing people off? It's not new, it's anything but.

The "NEW" tag is a marketing ploy used by every company. If you haven't built the kit before it IS new to you. If you have built the kit you are unlikely to be fooled into thinking that some modern wonderkit is encapsulated within the box.

As we have established though Ratch the kit is not new. The implication is that it is, and an unwary purchaser might well think that it is. What else can you think when there's 'new' emblazoned on it? I for one really wouldn't think it was a 40+ year old (or whatever it is) kit that was past its prime 30 years go, because I would be expecting some modern wonderkit is encapsulated within the box.

Sorry, but I think Airfix are doing themselves no favours here. It doesn't matter how it's dressed up, I think the 'new' tag is grossly misleading.

The nail was hit on the head a few posts up - it's a 'marketing ploy'...

A polite way of saying a 'con'.

Apart from the box art, what is 'new' in the DB5 kit?

Would Tamiya get away with it?

At least when they re-introduce an old kit, they admit it's old, but with a few new updates.

Also, it's a kit that's been hard to get for years. (Lotus 49)

Airfix are fooling nobody who makes models, that the DB5 is in any way 'new'.

It wasn't even unavailable previously - so what's 'new'...

Well, it is all a bit odd - the write up for kit no. A50089A Aston Martin DB5 Starter Set 1:32 (£11.99) also mentions a 'Related Item' - kit no. A50089 Airfix Aston Martin DB5 Starter Set 1:32 (£9.99) - eh?

You'd excuse the average punter for indulging in a bit of head-scratching.

What exactly is the difference - a bigger tube of glue, perchance?

PS if you trundle on over to the US side of the website, you'll find BOTH kits on offer for US$ 15.99 each, together with a question peading to know what the difference is between the two ... and we are informed by a gentleman who seems to know, that 'It is a new build'.

Archived