circuit diagram zero 1 master

westies

Hello there, as an ex Zero 1 user of some 25 years, I cannot resist asking why you want a circuit diagram. I actually still have a master controller in a box and a slave down under! I think I have all the Zero 1 Service bulletins. I never saw a circuit

diagram though. What are you trying to do? Please let me know, as I am intrigued! I thought Zero 1 was absolutely fantastic and was so far ahead of its time it is not funny. When the sad day arrived for me to migrate to Hornby DCC, I literally unplugged the

two wires from the back of my master controller and plugged them into my Elite. Oh, and of course, had some locos ready with DCC decoders! regards Nick

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your reply.Long live Zero 1! I think it is great.I have never had any problems with this system and still use it today.Recently I was given a dead master controller and I would like to find out its problem,hence my request for a

circuit diagram.
I have re-vamped controllers by taking them appart and re fitting into custom made enclosures/layout boards with great success.Enthusiast friends have been impressed and made them think!
It is still a good system and treated with the

correct handling that DCC requires produces good results.
Regards,Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
Hi westies

Don't know if you ever got the diagrams you were looking for but you could try this link.

The circuit board used in a Zero 1 Controller was a Texas Instruments TMS 1000 Microcomputer. It was regarded as one of the best of its kind

in its day and TI made several series of this type of microprocessor. Have a look at the link as several circuit diagrams are on there in .pdf format and I didn't have time to look at them all for you unfortunately.

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/TMS1000-datasheet.html

Hope

this helps you... :)

Evening. Would be good if you could share the Zero 1 info docs as just re-kindling the Model Railway bug. Have lots of kit from the 80's including a full Zero 1 system which bought second hand before the layout was taken apart, never used it much

at all. About to set up a new layout and plan to use the Zero 1 rather than spend on new DCC for the time being.
Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
Good to hear you are interested in Zero 1 for your project.I am using it with success but I must say that low speed control is not quite as good as the newer DCC systems. From what I can gather,and I am no electronics expert,this is to do with the

speed steps.
I joined MERG where there are forums,technical bullitins and circuit diagrams,all good useful stuff.
I must say that track and train pick-ups must be clean-this also goes for the newer DCC.
Good luck,
Geoff

Hi Geoff

Finding even with the old 1980's 3 pole ringfield's they work pretty well at slow speed, yes they are maybe not as smooth as later models and DCC, but the Zero 1 system does have a fair number of steps. I have the Binary data code and will

dig it out to see how many exactly. I feel its the same control as on DC at slow speeds on these older locos. Don't have anything new with later motors to try it on mind!
Think the system works very well with good operating motors and as you say a fairly

clean track is required, likewise for DC and DCC.
Have only got it running at present on a oval of track whilst I make the baseboard up in the loft but the features it does offer work well.

I am interested in trying to find a MicroMimic Panel and

LED driver unit, I have the main Micromimic unit and loads of LED'S but need the missing link! Still searching though. If I had a circuit I would make them. Is the circuit for the Display Module on the MREG?

May have to join it but its not exactly cheap

for the small info I am after

If you need to re-furbish your Master Control keyboard don't buy a kit, its easy to do and if you have some Zero 1 coding paint you can re-furbish the rubber key pad also. Mine was pretty useless but now works with a feather

touch!
I may start a Zero 1 website to post all info I can find on it to share for free. Such Re-furb actions etc and other advise such as adding suppression to the track to help prevent any shorts damaging loco Chips etc.

Always good to hear other

are using Zero 1, the demand for the kit on Ebay is unbelievable, loco modules going for £10 each on average. At that price DCC starts to look attractive even.

All the best

Darren

• 4 weeks later...

• 7 years later...

Mr C,

If you click 'Westies' user name you will see his most recent and last post on this forum was 13th Dec 2012. Thus the chance of him seeing your question is very slight indeed.

• 11 months later...

Charles, if you'd taken Chris's advice in the post above yours, you'd have seen westies has posted only 16 times, the last one 10 years ago now, so little chance he/she is around.

But why not use the MERG advice given?

Hi  Yes I have all the MERG docs etc.   Just interested to see whats new.

Charles

Archived