Bring back TT scale

Waitingforth

Hi Kevin

You say "no one else produces it" but that raises the question as to how many people would buy it.For the OO modeller that would mean starting again and the size of our collections would go against this, in terms of cash and variety of stock.

I thiunk OO and N are so well established that TT would not repay the investment in terms of UK models. I understand that TT is well established abroad but I can't see much of a market in the UK.

Sorry

The Three Millimetre Society caters for an interest in that scale, They even support users of former Tri-ang TT3.

PP is correct, especially in the current economic climate, branching out into a scale which only has minority interest is very risky.

Hi Kevin,

TBH, I love the idea of 3mm scale i.e. TT gauge. But as others have said it is not financially viable. I want to do British TT scale myself unfortunately and like with most cases British TT is different from the continent (like OO and N). I am currently toying with the idea of using the power of 3D software + 3D printing to make 1:120 British models just for my own personal use.

Of course if anyway wants I can always do for them. I see it as the only way out if you want something that is otherwise financially not possible in RTR or kit form.

I am not against TT, in fact I have some myself.  However it is a very long time since it was sold generally in the UK, and few people have even heard of it. Tri-ang abandoned it in 1964 (52 years ago)  because it wasn't selling, and N gauge still in its infancy was taking over that slot in the market very rapidly. N gauge is now fully established and the slot is definitely theirs. There is another scale which never got the exposure it deserved, and that is S scale or 1/64th, also 3/16th inch to 1 foot,  with a  track gauge of just over 7/8 inch (0.883 to be precise). In between OO and O it gives a larger model, but not nearly as cumbersome as O. Hornby Meccano did produce a prototype carriage to attempt to bridge the gap, and perhaps abolish both Dublo and O, but they realised that it would be a step too far and abandoned it.

I believe S gauge is (or was) available commercially in the USA but I too haven't heard about it for a long time.  Truthfully today only four gauges are commercially successful , 9mm, 16.5mm, 32mm, 45mm. I hesitate to say 'scale' because these gauges accomodate a variety of scales, for example 16.5mm can accomodate at least  On16.5  (7mm to 1 foot narrow gauge), OO (4mm to 1 foot British standard gauge), and HO (3.5mm to 1 foot, rest of the world standard gauge).

TT (12mm gauge) can also be used for 3 foot or metre gauge models in OO or HO, and in the mainstream .this is probably the best place for it.  Fine scale TT modellers in the UK now advocate a track gauge of 14.3mm, shades of P4 here.

One thing that is plain to me however is that it is unlikely that Hornby will be reprising the old Tri-ang TT (now watch me getting THAT wrong!!) but perhaps when things are better financially they might be prevailed on to produce some OOn12, Isle of Man and Irish narrow gauge, or more likely OO9.

Hi LC&DR 

OO9 I would sugest

Perhaps they could start with the Darjeeling toy train sharp stewart? B? class with the full properly painted four man crew driver fireman coal breaker for on top in the bunker and sander for the front. 

Say two of the modern DJHR coaches and passanger brake, tea van and brake van??

Forgeting WD stuff exept the tin turtles thats well covered By mini trains the blue box mob and variouse kit manufacturers.

Or may be go for dificult and do a RTR vertical boiler loco and slate truck's

would need weight and good quality motors though and could be expencive to produce requiring a high retail price.

But I think the Darjeeling Railway stuff would sell provided it was well made quality and reliable.

no cheap limited hour motor would do.

regards John

• 2 weeks later...

The Darjeeling B would indeed make a splendid OO9 model, but would it appeal to enough UK based modellers?

Personally I think some Welsh Narrow Gauge models would be more popular and would offer opportunities to sell as souvenirs at the railways themselves. The Talyllyn Railway might be the best place to start although I gather there have already been moves across 'the Pond' in this direction. This would allow the Skarloey Railway locomotives to be made from the same tooling. I was disappointed when the Festiniog Double Fairlie was removed from another manufacturer's proposals.

For sheer 'wow' factor a NG16 2-6-2-2-6-2T from the Welsh Highland would easily find a home in the LC&DR collection.

Another "Rave from the Grave" ! The Tri-ang TT models were very well detailed and the goods wagons were akin to the Hornby DoubleO SD range. It was a shame that it went the way of many of their idears. It looks like the nearest you will get is Lynton & Barnstaple stock on that guage of track. At least the coaches can be green!

Archived