AIRFIX KITS

LCDR

I have contributed to the Airfix Wishlist Forum regarding the production of a large scale kit of a railway locomotive, the original poster suggested a 1:32 scale 4-6-2 'Tornado', which I agree would make an impressive if specctacularly expensive model, however  I have suggested that an 'O' gauge  57xx Pannier tank might be a winner. Certainly a better starter to test the water. It could be motorised very simply but would be an attractive static conversation piece too.  Thing with the 57xx is that they were built in huge numbers by the GWR,and a few were sold to other users including London Transport and the National Coal Board. There are also a few preserved.

Would anyone on this forum agree that a large scale plastic Airfix kit of a steam locomotive would attract you? If so what would you like to see?

I could live with one in a glass case on my mantlepiece, especially motorised (although at the price it may have to have a coin slot to gain revenue).

Maybe even a cutaway version would be possible.

I'm going to to go against my normal loyaltys and say how about a class 20. Go nice with the dapol 08

Easier to motorise too. However I think that steam outline model might have wider appeal, a class 20 is less likely to sit on a display mount on too many mantlepieces than, say, an A3, A4, Princess Royal or King. Not so challenging to build either.

Revell do have a kit for an HO Union Pacific 'Big Boy' 2-8-8-4 in their current catalogue. I still have an un-made one, waiting for a day when I fancy building it (after the unmade Kitmaster Beyer Garratt!).

I support the idea. However I won't post a wishlist here because I'm more modern era so no one will like it and if I do I'll be immediately told that steam is going to sell better. So whilst my wishlist for diesels is kept under the wraps I can only make one suggestion.

If Airfix does do this in kit form then I think they should offer some good motor + gear box combos for those who wish to motorize it. If a good system to just drop and fit motors and gear boxes of various combinations is done I think we can have some good stuff.

Hi Fazy

You never know, this could be the way to get your 'Retooled Princess Royal'!

Is the LMS Princess Royal Class similar to the LMS Duchess Class? If so why does it need a retool? It's more than acceptable.

Judging by the pics this Duchess Class looks amazing.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/br-4-6-2-city-of-bradford-duchess-class.html?___SID=U

The princess royal boiler is under size. The fire box is even worse. The value gear is wrong and and set to far backwards the cylinders are too small.  The wheels are hideous they never do the rabbit ears cross bar guides for the first two. Never mind 46205. The steampipes are in the wrong place due the the cylinders being wrong.  Cab not right. The tender still has that lip below the tank sides that no stanier has. There are if I remember rightly the smokebox has fauts too. 

It is  in no way in the same playing field has Hornbys other 4-6-2's but want  people to pay the same amount! About time LMS had a decent model of one of Stanier's Masterpieces 

There are many detail differences to the individual members of the class though the life time of the locos which should be models.  Such has. Buffers smoke box doors, boiler and boiler fitting, tenders and frame cut outs which could be model.  Etc 

I know you model modern age diesel but you wouldn't want a class 25 and Hornby just renumber it and sell it has a 24.

The Princess Royals are different to the Princess Coronation's (Duchess)

Royals came frist slightly lighter smaller, look them up your soon see the difference. 

This is a free forum and yes I model steam. But if you have a diesel list put it up. Unlikely I would buy what you like but you never know. And quite often if it's something I don't know about I'll go and read up on it has it's still a train. 

This is a free forum and yes I model steam. But if you have a diesel list put it up. Unlikely I would buy what you like but you never know.

Major classes missing in O gauge... Class 56, Class 58, Class 101 and Class 142. All models that did have a good lifespan in BR service. Many still in use today.

I know PRMRP does a kit, but I've always heard that their kits are on the lesser detailed side and also in brass. A nice MMP one will be good and easy to assemble like the JLTRT ones.

I know you model modern age diesel but you wouldn't want a class 25 and Hornby just renumber it and sell it has a 24.

I agree, and that's my point. I'm interested in modern era stock and therefore when it's wishlisting time I always suggest modern era stock. Some of the outstanding exmples of what I've always wished for is a Class 91 and Class 92 (in terms of a re-tool). Hornby's offering is not at all at par with today's standards and so many modern era modelers are unhappy with it. Not to mention it's a tad bit over-priced. You only have to see the amount of negative responses received...

But whenever I suggest it or give feedback on the product my views are always shot down and I'm told that it is a perfectly acceptable model. Both Hornby and other forum members think so. I was actually told by Hornby that it's perfectly acceptable in today's terms. Initially Hornby said electrics don't sell well. Then their designer said they sell well so there's no need for a re-tool. The said models are riddled mith inaccuracies just like the ones you mentioned for the Princess/Duchess class. 

Hence why I am reluctant to posts wishlist. The term "wishlisting" is totally misunderstood these days.

PS: Thanks for the good write up on the differences.

I think Fazy may have slightly missed the point. The question was a larger scale model (probably 1:43.5 scale although 1:32 has been mentioned) so it isn't necessary to compare with existing Hornby production. However JBM is nearly on the mark with missing diesels. There are some offered by Heljan and Dapol in gauge O but the list of RTR diesels is fairly limited. However my view is that it ought to be a steam loco though, partly so it has appeal to people who do not have a model railway but want an interesting alternative to aircraft, ships and armoured fighting vehicles, and to model railway enthusists who might see it as a way of increasing their stock. Diesels don't strike me as particularly challenging as a plastic kit.

My list of potential candidates include  (but one at a time, not all at once!) and in some kind of priority order -

LNER A3 (FS who else!)

LMSR Duchess

GWR King

BR(E) A1 (specifically 'Tornado')

LNER A4

GWR Castle

GWR 57xx

LMSR Princess Royal

LMSR 3F 0-6-0T

BR(S) Merchant Navy rebuild

The Pannier and Jinty are included as they might be seen as beginner's locos.

The alternative could include a series of historical locomotives such as -

S&DR Locomotion

L&MR Rocket

LB&SCR Jenny Lind

GWR North Star (7 foot gauge)

GNR No 1

LNWR Hardwicke

At 1:43.5 scale they would make impresive ornamental models.

I think a range of 009 scale/gauge locos in such makes as Baldwin, Hunslet, L&B, Hudswell etc would be popular, initially made as static models which could also enhance an existing '00' layout but with a view to actually fitting to a motored chassis for running eventually.  HB.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember they did do Trevithicks Penydarren loco in somethiong larger than 00. But for an O gaug loco I would think Flying Scotsman would be an obvious choice with possibly additional componets to build all varianta (assuming tha major cmponents are the same. Maybe Stephensons Rocket, Locomotion.

However, I would prefer to see some new 00 models made to current detailing standards and ideally ot of prototypes made in the Hornby RTR range although a varient would be acceptable. Perhapse The Great Bear (I think I could motoriae one with a Hall/B12 chassis!) or a doublechineied Caperotti Black 5 (again could be motorised with an rtr hornby chassis or even some of the more obsure locos in the National collection or preserved elsewhere

Archived