Building a B12

Go_West

These things are sent to try us Ken.

I have had my three things fail this weekend, Elite programming output - caput, running capacitor on my house water pump - caput, backup HDD for the pc - caput. Lets hope thats the last of it.

Rob

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible cure for the programming output failure.

This MAY be due to oxidation or other contamination of relay contacts carrying the programming power. A simple cure may be to tap the Elite with a screwdriver handle or similar while it is programming to cause a small amount of self cleaning of the relay contacts.  Needs to be programming while tapping to ensure the contacts are actually touching each other.

As these contacts are only carrying a small current there isn't enough power to burn through oxidation.  They should be self cleaning, by rubbing, when operating but this doesn't always work as it should.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Ken for a minute...

Rog - I have applied a sustained and vigorous calibrated vibration to my Test-Box Elite whilst programming many times over to no effect whatsoever. Ditto with the good Elite. I hvae just tried an old phone vibro-motor direct to the relay in the Test-Box.

I see a reduced voltage from the Prog and Boost ports when programming so I suspect the fault is deeper within the electro-gubbins. Seeing an output from both ports means the relay is switching over but doesnt prove its current carrying capability unfortunately.

You can have your thread back Ken - thanks.

Rob

Rob & Rog

do not mind the change of track, track get it ? Not sure what you are both referring to but do I take it there is a relay ( machanical switch)

use in a data line to some other storage memory device? And that the contacts are causing data drop out owing to oxidation of said contacts surely such old fashioned devices should have a more modern approach now.

if it helps my mum used to say "things happen in threes" so you might be ok now Rob

Mechanical relay Ken. Blue thing centre screen between the two big capacitors.

You would think an electronic relay these days, although this Elite is circa 2006.

I could 'scope the outputs for data drop out but wouldn't know what I was looking for on the 'scope trace to prove it really.

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/1c702f31862e6dcdcff1c1957924a5e0.jpg

I see the picture and your relay if you know what your looking for and have I think a 7.5GHz probe you could check the signal into the relay and the signal coming out the relay or can you not solder a link across the suspect contacts and reload the data?

ken

The new art work was made up and the Stratford and Great Eastern parts of the plates was made a little larger As before the negative was produced from the art work to the size required for the engines cab sides and the photo sensitive paint applied to the brass plate.

/media/tinymce_upload/23e8dcb9e73f4bfdf6cc058c743559a9.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6f713101f1075d956f372d320f90a8e4.jpg

After the exposure with the UV lamp in the picture here its into some developer.

/media/tinymce_upload/ee1f6d398f3d36857a92a291ded4aa5c.jpg

The developed brass plate with the brass parts exposed this will be the area that comes into contact with the ferric chloride.

/media/tinymce_upload/6e2a12e3ef33897a9feaab0494865922.jpg

Next is the etching of the plate in its bath of blubbering ferric chloride.All this seems to be taking longer the engineering side of the project seems a long time ago now.

/media/tinymce_upload/4eca52a3fb6019100d805ac71173c1d9.jpg

To give some idea of size a 20 pence coin is included in the picture this is the plate after the etching has taken place and this plate was the best of 6 that were etched out so might have a go at a second run as the best of the tender plates fell on the floor and cant find it. 

/media/tinymce_upload/6af12760371564bd4aa2e165a523c5ea.jpg

Again with the coin and painted in red not sure the position of the tender plate so must look into that.

/media/tinymce_upload/98d9854eb79659c26ad0bf1aceb7c5c1.jpg

Just laid in place on the cab side and along with the brass window looks the part still got the wheels to line out and the tender.

My floor is full of tiny things I have dropped and cant find Ken

Its a pity brass isnt magnetic as my favourite look-for tool Is a strong magnet and a bright torch.

I'll email you about the 'scope and Elite.

Rob

hi Rob

i didnt have that problem with 7.25 gauge engines all you had to do was watch your feet as dropping bits on them was not recomended./media/tinymce_upload/9f47f1bd66865db5c9cd5c613fae8a7f.jpg

Last night had a go at a few more plates and came up with these which look a bit better so I now have a few to chose from. I once saw a comment on the Forum I think by WTD when he said “ I would give my wife’s right arm for one of those?” and following in his foot steps owing to the fact that my UV light box was passed its best this Christmas I bought my wife a UV box for a new nail painting system which is in the pictured back a bit within postings here and we are both very pleased? 

/media/tinymce_upload/32283af1704535bfd7f944f7336e52fb.jpg

I have spent what feels like 2 weeks designing transfers and painting the lining out of this engine and it strikes me that this paint job has been almost a larger task than the engine build it self. It must be one of the most lined out engines ever to run in the UK and I think if Hornby were to produce this engine 90% of the cost of production is doing to be finishing it in the GER colours and linings.

/media/tinymce_upload/8d66fd5b6caadd76aed043537b08c1af.JPG

Its by no way perfect they say the camera never lies and there right some of the lining out is a bit wonky as if the painter had a good time down the pub before he started this job.

/media/tinymce_upload/08c1de091aa347b40306dfcce3a9e920.JPG

The lines on the wheels were painted on with a fine paint brush by hand.

/media/tinymce_upload/8c2e06106389bca6f542ddbd374611f0.jpgThe cab interiors was finished with the back of the boiler and the driver and fireman screwed to the floor.

Had to repaint the cab roof as I’m told they were grey not black.  And the small plate for the tender which I had painted in red were in fact painted black and were cast iron not brass ones.  Still it will have to go as it is now.

The tender just needs putting back together  when the paints dried and then i will see if the loco still runs.

You certainly chose a complex livery there Ken and close up digital photography is overly cruel, every spec of dust shouts at you.

Anyhow well done on the whole project and lets hope the beast still runs as well as it did in the trials.

Rob

I think you have made a magnificent job of it all round Ken. I would not even attempt to paint such fine lines, but now I know a man who can, I may be in touch!

Every time I drop a crucial part (which instantly becomes invisible) I think to myself that I must work over a tray or something so that the parts get caught before getting to the floor. I expect I'll think of it again when I drop the next thing.

I trust that all will be well in your next "in steam" session. This thread has been an absolute pleasure to read. Thank you. R-

Hi Chorlc, Rob, RogB

It's great to read your comments servicing locos and the like has always been a problem when you get to put them back together and find you have less parts than you started with and a tray might just save the lost parts never to be found again so will give it a go maybe a specal tray with boxes glued to the top edge with clear lids so you can see what the parts are.

i see Chorlc postings have a GWR safety valve bonnet and grandad was born in Swindon and started work at Swindon Railway Works and a nice green engine with little lining out grandad left Swindon as a young man to work at Stratford work for more money it's interesting to see this type of brass GWR safety valve fitting as Trevor who works at part of Swindon old work and was an apprentice there making all the brass and copper fittings made such a part as in you picture for a restored King I think it was but on a test run went under a low bridge and smashed it completely off the top of the boiler. 

And as you say Rob all the little bit of dust and poor art work show up but going fast and at night will look a lot better I hope 

the end is nigh and her in doors is getting a smile on her face as she will get the kitchen table back and want me to do jobs in the garden and house?

Ken

...and want me to do jobs in the garden and house?.

Best you hang the loco job out a bit longer Ken.

Dust and photos - I posted a picture of a tram I had motorised and despite brushing and blowing all the dust and chippings away it still looked as if I hadn't bothered in the picture. Same for the Mallard picture I posted a ways back showing a speaker in the tender - dust and chippings everywhere. I hate to think what the pictures would be like if I had to set to with a paint brush on the bodywork - it would look as if I had used a platform broom I reckon.

Rob

Rob

that's problem with 00 gauge stuff the dust cones out much larger than it would on 7.25 gauge just thank your lucky stars its not N gauge or smaller?

Now with the tender completely reassembled the final parts are coming together 

/media/tinymce_upload/dddea63fe1108c3e5b4a374986265c6b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9f106d10c876f2e59af9df0d74dd7590.jpg

I’m not complete sure the tender plate is in the right place all I know is its on the rear of the tender high or low or exactly where I do not know but its position in this picture is its present location. Just lots more lining out and our working rear lamp.

/media/tinymce_upload/b0f8b06353d38c63252bc52f9d8e48a7.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/90c1cfe083897567898cb6c6d387f5f0.jpg

The engine on its plinth it has not been steamed yet just for a photo call 

/media/tinymce_upload/71a36239298359f67c05bd76de8d84d8.jpg

Complete with cover 

/media/tinymce_upload/5689d26460f98075f49983f1387a746b.jpg

A copy of the picture old Stratford Works with a red ring giving George’s location in the picture. On the back of this picture gives a short history of my grand fathers life history.I will steam up the engine and take some video of it running and post it here all being well in a few days.This engine was in the beginning one that the end was not known and I think I have carried many along the road of engineering to which Great Britain gave the world the Railways of today and much is owed to the designers and engineers of the early days and I must add the workers that turned from the drawings into iron and steel that we can still see today the engines and bridges the tunnels and earth works.

But what of old George the black smith striker well I feel I must add his part now to complete the story.

A Brief History of a Railway worker 

/media/tinymce_upload/ce96d7d4d4756fceb92f07bd4e8c4b90.JPG

And so we come to the last page of a long up and down struggle to build an engine worthy of grand father and the work that he and men like him put into there working life to build these monster in steam with ever more power and ever more speed. And from his point of view all just to provide food and a home for his family on with very little pay.This is sounding like there is not going to be a happy ending.

Here we see him with his wife and daughter Millie all 3 dress in there Sunday best in a studio setting maybe to send a picture back home to family in Swindon showing how well they were doing. He looks smart in his suit and tie waistcoat and watch and chain.The little girl Millie never made it to her teens but died young at the age of 11 from Pneumonia

/media/tinymce_upload/ce5ddbf16f88caea5ed522e5e7546748.jpg

In this picture of him on the right working with the blacksmith. The black smith is holding a part they have forged for a steam engine maybe or a coach or wagon in his left hand. Still not daunted by this loss of there first child they went on to have 2 more children a girl and a boy, the boy being my father and thank god they did or I would not be writing this.

My father told me that he would meet him from work most days as there was a back gate to Stratford works not far from there home in Maryland Point and my father noticed that the walk back home started to take longer and longer as his father needed stops along the way to get his breath back all the time pulling on his shirt front trying to breath.

/media/tinymce_upload/f1f832c58637ac6f8f0519a6673dcbe2.jpg

This is the last photo taken of my grand father now very ill with breathing problems he was sent to I think Clacton or that way to a rest home and is pictured here not counting the nurse (the screens) the second man from the right front row.

I believe that this rest home was ether run by the trade union or the GER and that he died not long after the picture was taken at the age of 43 years leaving a wife and 2 children my father was about 7 years old at the time his sister was about 6 years old, as for grandma she to I never met but died after I was born but as a baby she did hold me in her arms and must have seen that life goes on how ever hard it is. 

Thanks to Hornby and all there staff for letting me post this project on the forum pages and good luck to all railway modelers in what ever you build.

Ken

Thank you for sharing the fantastic story behind the construction of this magnificent  model Ken, and also for the background to your decision to produce it.  What a fantastic monument to your grandfather, you must be justifiably proud of the fruits of your labour.  The garden awaits........

Rod

Even if it turns out not to be a brilliant performer the finished (?) loco in its presentation case is fantastic.

Well spotted gowest. Taken at Minehead in (our one and possibly only overseas trip in) 2012. Without going to look through all the photos I believe it was 6960 Ravingenham Hall simmering in a siding.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived