Valve Gear Rivets

Tigg

Hi All,

I'm currently repairing the valve gear on LNER B17 4-6-0 'Sheffield Wednesday' (R2319).

I bought some rivets off eBay (needing only one to finish the job) however they seem too small and fall out soon after fitting them.

Are there different sizes of rivets to use or am I not fitting it correctly? Also, are there specific rivets to use on individual locomotives?

Any advice on this would be most appriciated!

Thanks.

It's hard to tell if you're fitting it correctly, how are you fitting it?

Well, from looking at the other rivets, I'm fitting it with the rivet head facing the wheel (which seems to be the only way it'll fit through the eccentric crank pin/eccentric rod). Also, the new rivets I bought are a shiny silver colour rather than the others on the loco which are a more weathered grey. Does the colour have anything to do with the rivet type? Cheers.

The Colour is just paint.  Take the valve gear of the model.  Place the revit on a hard surface. With the  larger side at the bottom place the valve gear on to the revit. With a old screw driver or drill bit ground to a point.  Place in the hole of the rivet and give it a couple of taps with a small hammer. Don't over do it. Otherwise the joint won't be able to move.  And under doing it the rivet will fall out.  

Hi WTD I have to admit I couldn't remember the terminology of a rivet yesterday.  But yep.  

Hi raf96 Never seen a rivet squeezer small enough for the rivets I use for the kits I've built. That doesn't mean they don't exist though. 

/media/tinymce_upload/f60545676953326619511212d4520f75.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As an aside when riviting anything that should pivot, the technician at my school would place some cigarette paper between the two components., When removed this gave just enough clearence for the components to move freely.

As an aside when riviting anything that should pivot, the technician at my school would place some cigarette paper between the two components., When removed this gave just enough clearence for the components to move freely.

Thanks for that, good advice.

• 5 years later...