Jinty new tooling

E2 32108

In better times I would support a call for Hornby to have a go at British outline OO9, but PP & WTD have made a valid point.  We are after all  still waiting for Heljan's Lynton & Barnstaple 2-6-2 and Bachmann' Baldwin 4-6-0 tank locos to appear.  However Peco's L&B rolling stock is doing OK at present..

Hornby's N gauge venture has gone very quiet (Arnold Brighton Belle) which suggests the results have not been all that good.

There is an interest in OO9 which in the long run Hornby could exploit, but now is maybe not the time.

If ever they did the Talyllyn might be a good place to start.

• 2 weeks later...

For reasons previously stated, I think new tooling would be an unnecessary duplication. However, it may be beneficial to "tweak" the current body. A slight increase in smokebox diameter, 1mm on the length of the smokebox (on the "chin" in front of  smokebox support), about 2mm on the front overhang in front of the frame molding, and softening the ribs on the roof would improve the body immensely. For the chassis, it needs smaller wheels, (X961?), and the chassis bottom modifying to lower it and accomodate the increased front overhang. The resulting model, whilst not being perfect, would capture the full character of the loco without resorting to a full re-tool, and retail at a lower cost than the Blue Box version.

Bachmann currently make a reasonable models of the Fowler 3F and the Johnson 1F 0-6-0Ts at present so if Hornby were to embark upon a new LMS shunter surely it ought to be significantly different one.  The Fowler Dock tank would be an interesting departure from the norm, or something from one of the constituents for example Caledonian McIntosh or North London 0-6-0 tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

True, I suggested the Johnson 3f for the following reasons.  the class  not to small with 60 in it. they started with the MR in 1899. Round boiler.  fowler fitted the Belper boiler at a later date. some  had condenser fitted. the last 3 of the class lasted till 1966. plus were seen on the midlands line and even up north. plus has you say the Johnson 1f and fowler 3f is done by bachmann. so it might be nice to have the set so to speak. 

The fowler dock tank was a small class 10 and if memory serves me right.  stayed at or near docks. up north. 5 went to Scotland and did work on branch lines some of time. 

The deeley dock tanks spent most of their time on docks or industrial lines. but would  go nicely the Johnson 1f for a certain line.

The 'Jackshaft' diesel shunter does have a certain appeal, but would it be universally popular? How many people nowadays remember them?  I can remember them widely on use across the LM region. They did not seem to work on any other Region. None have been preserved.  They were the most numerous of the pre-Nationalisation diesel shunters.

The Johnson 3F 0-6-0T is quite a nice loco, and would make a good alternative to the Fowler one, but is it sufficiently different to it or to the 1F, both of which are available from Bachmann as well as the older Hornby Fowler tank?  I still contend that a good Scottish type is long overdue, and should take priority.  The Caledonian 812 0-6-0 is undoubtedly one that ought to be considered..

Caledonian Railway 0-6-0 Tender Goods Loco....

The Caledonian Railway “812” 0-6-0 class of 1899, designed by JF McIntosh at St Rollox Works, Glasgow, developed from Dugald Drummond’s “Standard Goods” of 1883. 96 of the locos were built.

Caley, LMS, and BR liveries....

AND there is one preserved that could be measured...

Not to mention....

Donald and Douglas in the Rev. Awdry's stories....

Come on Hornby....

You know it makes sense! 😉

http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/donaldanddouglas.htm

It is said the 0-4-0 chassis used on the pug etc. now runs a lot better than it used to. For a Railroad model at a low price, a Deeley (BR 41528 on) or Kitson (BR 47000 on) shunter could use this chassis. Yes, the wheelbase is 3mm too long, but the body could be dimensionally correct, resulting in a far more accurate model than the Smokey Joe pug. (One does wonder why one of these prototypes was not used to begin with.) It would also attract sales from the "bashers" and more serious modellers to use as a basis for an accurate model.

I firmly believe that there is scope for a series of cheap bodyline kits to fit on these basic chassis.   This would add play value in that the purchaser can develop basic modelling skills, much as they might building an Airfix model aircraft, car or ship.  I have heard all the arguments about how expensive the tooling would be  but Airfix seem to be able to bring out plenty of new kits annually, and if the basic mechanism was a ready to run unit, and the bodies were designed to slip over, surely the costs could be kept reasonable.

The Deeley and Kitsons mentioned above sound ideal, and there must be a whole range of industrial tank engines that would fit the bill.

By taking the basic 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 chassis and designing the kits to fit would not stretch the ingenuity of the designers too much. I heark back to the bad old days of whitemetal bodyline kits that were designed to fit on the R52 Jinty. OK the wheelbase and wheel diameters may not be 100% correct, but for the Railroad end of the market, who is counting??!!

The E2 could make a comeback, and perhaps a 57xx Pannier too. Then there is the Johnson 3F tank, a number of LNER and constituents designs.  With carefull design a few larger types could be added, requiring a pony truck and a tender for the more advanced practitioner. This would bring in 0-6-2 and 2-6-0 types. It might pave the way for Welsh Valley Company locomotives and Scottish types al of which are generally overlooked.

There is a need to get a bit of relief from the 'plonk and play' tendencies of todays scene.

Another good return would be the R.253 Diesel Dock Shunter, updated with glazing, cab interior and LED headlight.  As for re-tooling the jinty, Bachmann already make a super detail one so the market is limited for a new model.  For now Hornby need to concentrate on what makes money. New mouldings cost serious money, typically you won't get much change out of £100K for a new models moulds when you take into account r&d, machining etc.

Archived