Repairing Tri-ang/Tri-ang-Hornby/Hornby Smoke Unit Elements

Top Tip. Repairing Tri-ang/Tri-ang-Hornby/Hornby Smoke Unit Elements. Well I guess someone had to bite the bullet and reveal they can be repaired!

New X.549 elements are fetching mortgage money on the likes of Ebay now.  A simple repair can be effected if your element winding fails.  All you need to do is remove the old wire to avoid short circuits, this is then replaced with four turns of 5 amp fuse wire and each end of the wire soldered to the brass end caps. Resistance should read 33 ohms or there abouts (original Element had a 33ohm resistance).  A simple but effective repair to get those smoke unit elements working again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What about the stuff you pour into the smoke unit to get the smoke, is that still availble?

MEGA STEAM smoke oil is an Americian smoke oi avalable from Peters Spares and works very well with SYNCROSMOKE and HORNBY smoke units! Dapol also now do a smoke oil that will work very well to get some go to www.dapol.co.uk and order your smoke oil right now!

MEGA STEAM and DAPOL would have to test their smoke oils on many locos as after all Hornby doesnt do any smoke oil anymore or make smoke units! Dapol now do an A4 with DCC digital sound and a working smoke unit this isnt a Tri-ang Syncrosmoke this is a Modern smoke unit so using Dapol smoke oil on a Tri-ang or Hornby smoke generator should be fine as using SEUTHE smoke oil! 🤔

MEGA STEAM and DAPOL would have to test their smoke oils on many locos as after all Hornby doesnt do any smoke oil anymore or make smoke units! Dapol now do an A4 with DCC digital sound and a working smoke unit this isnt a Tri-ang Syncrosmoke this is a Modern smoke unit so using Dapol smoke oil on a Tri-ang or Hornby smoke generator should be fine as using SEUTHE smoke oil! 🤔

OK ill do this too then you want MEGA STEAM smoke oil go to www.petersspares.com and order some now ok!

OK so you wanna see how MEGA STEAM smoke oil works well go to www.megasteam.com you can see how it works but note you cant order from this website they wont supply you as you order it in the uk from Peters Spares so take a look ok!

I tend to be conservative with smoke oil and the old Seuthe and Sychrosmoke smoke units. Seen the damage caused by not using the right oil.

People use all sorts of stuff, baby oil contains impurities that eat into the element wiring over time, some other smoke oils do the same.

Worst example of wrong oil was a Tri-ang Britannia that came in. The owner had used car engine oil, apparently it smoked well for a while and then stopped working. The smokebox and boiler top were covered in a yellowy film and the wadding and element were wrecked.

I tend to be conservative with smoke oil and the old Seuthe and Sychrosmoke smoke units. Seen the damage caused by not using the right oil.

People use all sorts of stuff, baby oil contains impurities that eat into the element wiring over time, some other smoke oils do the same.

Worst example of wrong oil was a Tri-ang Britannia that came in. The owner had used car engine oil, apparently it smoked well for a while and then stopped working. The smokebox and boiler top were covered in a yellowy film and the wadding and element were wrecked.

Dapol, Mega Steam, MTH and Seuthe Smoke Oils are all tested with all smoke generators including Tri-ang Syncrosmoke Generators i admit i use Seuthe oil but i have a Tri-ang Davey Crockett this is a Wood Burning with Logs in the tender not coal so you get the MEGA STEAM Wood Burn smoke oil its smells right for that loco! Yes there are fools who put Engine oil into a smoke unit its best to get the smoke oil you are happy with so i put on here the contacts where you can get them from so here they all are www.dapol.co.uk www.mthtrains.comwww.seuthe-damf.de shop around get your best smoke oil as Hornby dont make Smoke units or Smoke oil anymore so you need to look to these sources to get the smoke oil you need! 😎

Good idea to put the links up. I'll stick with the proper Seuthe stuff, in my 50 years of railway modelling it hasn't ever let me down. You can test all sorts of "smoke oils" on smoke units but it doesn't mean they are right long term. Although I know how to repair smoke unit elements and are having a batch of elements made they are still expensive to replace for the average modeller in the street if you have to replace them. They fetch silly prices on ebay.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello All

After perusing this forum for a few years I decided to join. This 5 amp fuse wire thing has got me bewildered ..I need to repair a couple of elements....is there special 5 amp wire...my cardboard spool of 5 amp wire only measures 3.4 ohms for a 2 inch length with a digital multi-meter ...so 4 turns won't be anywhere near the 30 ohms needed ?.