My Detailing and 3D-printing projects!

JeremiahBunyan

• 2 weeks later...

Look out for an update tomorrow...The postie has been around and delivered some 3D-printed parts. This is a huge moment for me as it's parts for the first customer who has ordered an RTR model. Same model of the WAP-5 on page 2 of this thread. However I have only just received all the parts to inspect, paint and assemble myself.

So I will be posting some pictures tomorrow and hopefully as the days go by I shall complete it and soon have an RTR N gauge (1:150) WAP-5 Bo-Bo AC electric to show you'll. Customer is over the moon so far.

Wish me luck with the whole painitng. I did a test assembly and it's fitted like a dream.

Here's some pictures of the 3D-printed parts, earlier my customer sent me some pictures, so rather than post basically the same thing, I've decided to start off with the painting and therefore as you'll see now there's the initial coat of white on now. Tomorrow I'll do the red (bands along the face and body), mid grey (underframe and lower skirting) and silver/light grey (roof).

/media/tinymce_upload/2f811df892d0d6cabfceed7838e6cf3d.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/30744138fb1f7deaf0bd00851d9e699d.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/9a6d2e9a4655daa46dd1a159d9335697.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/227fbdabc51d3734a414b8683042cff5.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/65974b239b1a7308721dd3a7810e6e31.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b15cb01e05b98906e97b41ec03c11a42.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/01a68c3ca30c172a875b059cb75f4cd3.JPG

Look forward to seeing more of that Jeremiah. Is the speckle in the finish down to the paint you have applied or the printing? Particularly noticeable on the cab ends in photo #4 above. R-

Hi Roger,

That's from the 3D printing process and since the cab face is one of the largest parts of the model with an angled face it's obvious. I actually sanded it as much as I could until I was frightned of sanding away detail. Too small to try stunts. On a OO/HO gauge model I would've been comfortable.

I must point out, the picture is darkened and edited with an HDR filter and it stands out. To the naked eye it's barely visible.

Sorry for the bad quality pics, used my older mobile phone...! Any reviews for a first-timers work? I have done partial repaints in the past but this is the first thing I've done from scratch.

/media/tinymce_upload/9f0ac91ac0cbb504a94e1e5adc8ecc33.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/0d66f5495cb4b508d3fe69d52c620a2c.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e1430bf16dadd05cf2324542743e7d92.JPG

I must point out, the picture is darkened and edited with an HDR filter and it stands out. To the naked eye it's barely visible

It wasn't a criticism at all - sorry if it came over like that. I think it looks amazing, especially the last set of photos you have posted. Great stuff. More please.

R-

I must point out, the picture is darkened and edited with an HDR filter and it stands out. To the naked eye it's barely visible

It wasn't a criticism at all - sorry if it came over like that. I think it looks amazing, especially the last set of photos you have posted. Great stuff. More please.

R-

Hi Roger,

No offence taken to your post, will have more soon!

He's some more very bad quality pictures. Some touching up needed on the red lines. The annoying part is that when you view the model from dead on from either side, the lines are straight. But unfortunately because of the ribbed/corrugated sides on the body, the masking tape has warped a bit. Upset to say the least, and this is after 3 tries.

/media/tinymce_upload/a0e8301a0d87429235bc4cd7f82cd19b.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/8c73ad8c7c5b830de94244df7da6257b.JPG

Looks good to me. What amount of detail are you planning? Glazing, hoses/pipes, lighting etc?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes glazing is in actually, thought I'll put up pics when it's moreorless complete.

- Waiting for the decals to come in and be applied

- Waiting for etched grilles for the windshield to come in and be added

- Buffers are done but will be added in the end as they're delicate

- Air pipes will be added too

- Couplings are a pain, anyone with suggestions? I am using regular N gauge rapido couplers, but are there any coupling mounts as spares?

- Lighting is on the cards, however the motor is sealed and there's no place to wire the lighting. Also I have no idea how to wire lighting in a DC format.

Hey chaps,

Hoping for some help. So as I mentioned above I've been facing two issues, first is the coupling and second is the lighting.

Regarding the couplings - the plan is to stick to the simple and effective N gauge rapido couplers. However I've done a bit of research and not really come up with a coupling and mount/socket as a spare that I can use. Any suggestions, please let me know. The Tomix chassis came with a coupling but modifying that will do more damage than help.

Secondly it's the lighting, so with regards to lighting I have a fair idea on how to wire a locomotive so that it can run in one direction with it's headlights on and tail lights on. However as a bi-directional loco my customer has settled on bi-directional headlights and no tail lights. Anyone with advice on how to wire up a DC ANALOGUE locomotive so that the headlights work in the direction of travel?

Here's a picture. The yellow highlighted parts are the lights that have to work in the direction of travel and as already mentioned there's no tail lights required.

/media/tinymce_upload/92c2133f91a82a91f62048cba30b3b5e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress...Again close ups are cruel and this is my first ever custom build. Also note that this is the first time I've had a go at making decals and I am mighty proud of the results. Just have the other side and the faces to do. That'll have to wait whilst I finish off two grueling weeks of final exams.

Hope you'll like it and I hope to hear what you guys think.

/media/tinymce_upload/23e350718fabfebb1d520e552ba4de38.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0ad3cc54a36e97c20a4f5af5f2346986.jpg

Very nice I wish I could get my locos to look that good. Also nice thing about N gauge (I think I'm right about your loco) is that 3D printing is much less expensive than 00.

Below is my latest creatio, a Signal cabin. It is partly painted but also incomplete. I need to paint and fit some planking above the windows, add the name board and a door plus an interior. - Also need to find the roof vent which fell onto the living room carpet!

Sadly the roof did not fit so am awaiting a modified version so have not bothered painting the original here.

For ease of painting all the different coloured pices are separate parts alowing a quick spray with virtually no fine brush works

/media/tinymce_upload/0c98c549d2a940750f56653126eed4ef.jpg

Very nice I wish I could get my locos to look that good. Also nice thing about N gauge (I think I'm right about your loco) is that 3D printing is much less expensive than 00.

Below is my latest creatio, a Signal cabin. It is partly painted but also incomplete. I need to paint and fit some planking above the windows, add the name board and a door plus an interior. - Also need to find the roof vent which fell onto the living room carpet!

Sadly the roof did not fit so am awaiting a modified version so have not bothered painting the original here.

For ease of painting all the different coloured pices are separate parts alowing a quick spray with virtually no fine brush works

/media/tinymce_upload/0c98c549d2a940750f56653126eed4ef.jpg

Hi 81F...yes there's a clear difference in pricing! Approximately half the cost. I also managed to track down a local 3D printer who has a printer that somewhat matches the quality of Shapeways and also the price. But I save roughly 35% simply by having a much much cheaper delivery option and no hideous customs amount.

Your signal box is outstanding! Excellent and neat work.

@ JeremiahBunyan                                   

Thanks, I've just got the new roof so have painted that and I;ve fitted the planking above the windows so it is comming together. Still cannot find the Vent on the carpet so I've ordered another.

So far the fit is so good that none of the 9 parts in the phtoo are glued! but I will probably stick it all together when I have all the parts.

I'll probably post more photos when it is finished.

Are the horizontal RED lines decals too ?

They look a lot crisper than the painted version in the earlier posted example.

You'll have to post a 'How To' on how you made the decals.