ELITE CONTROLLER WITH SELECT WALKABOUT

billyboy1

• 2 years later...

hi sorry to but in but I’m thinking of buying the hornby elite and the walk about cable but I’ve looked at the cable and you Say it gets the power from the walk about cable but there is no power plug so where does it get the power from as there is no power going to the circuit 

regards John

The Elite with the power supply is connected to the track and the Select Walk-About is then connected to the Elite with the special cable. The Select does not need any other power supply as it gets it from the Elite........the Walk-about is just an extention of the Elite and duplicates the controls..........you must not connect the Select to the track at the same time as the Elite.........HB

......... but I’ve looked at the cable and you say it gets the power from the 'Walkabout Cable' but there is no power plug so where does it get the power from as there is no power going to the circuit...........

..........I take it to have the 'Walkabout' you have to have two controllers one plugged into the power and the 'Walkabout' plugged into the one that’s plugged in to the power...... is this correct?

It seems to me that previous replies from forum members are still leaving you somewhat confused. Maybe my 'provision of detail' style of writing a reply will provide you with greater clarity of understanding.

Two of the wires INSIDE the R8266 cable are designated for the transference of power from the Elite to the attached Select. The normal DC coax power connector on the Select is therefore left unconnected and unused. Only the controller that is designated as being the 'Master' is connected to a power supply.

As an analogy, think of a USB cable. Sometimes the PC USB cable connects to a device that has it's own dedicated power supply. Say a desktop printer for example. Then sometimes for devices that have lower power requirements, the attached device gets the power only through the USB cable from the main PC. A flatbed scanner for example. In the same way, it is the R8266 cable that is providing the power to operate the Select, but via the RJ12 XpressNet connector.

Because the other end of the cable is plugged into the Elite (or can be another Select designated as master). The Elite (Select) master can detect that electrical current is being drawn from the XpressNet RJ12 port via the R8266 cable. It is the detection of this current being drawn that tells the Elite that it has a Select attached as a 'Walkabout' device. So it then knows that it has to enable the 'Walkabout' functionality. The Select meanwhile is put manually into 'Walkabout' operating mode.....see 'How To' image below.

/media/tinymce_upload/0c81f6dfa1c6c8a4cf1c115baf130851.jpg

Notice that Steps 2, 3 & 4 require you to choose a number between 1 and 31. This is important and must not be missed out. This number tells the Elite and the Select which channel to use to communicate with each other. A large number of Selects can be connected to the Elite, so each attached Select needs to be allocated its own unique channel number. If you are only attaching a single Select Walkabout, then just give it channel number 1.

There is no follow-up action required on the Elite to complete the communication 'handshaking'......it is automatic.

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE:

When you use the Select as a 'Walkabout' with the Elite. Then the Select buttons and knobs can ONLY control DCC devices that are within the Select permitted DCC addressing ranges which are 1 to 59 for locos and 61 to 99 for accessories (points & signals).

So if for example you had a loco with DCC Address 80, then you would only be able to control that from the Elite knobs and buttons. The Select 'Walkabout' will not recognise DCC Address 80 as being a loco and will try and operate an accessory with that address (if one is present).

It is this DCC Addressing limitation which I find personally to be not worth the bother of implementing a 'Walkabout' configuration. I appreciate that others are happy to operate their layout within the constraints of this DCC addressing limitation and have no issues with it.

An Elite can only be a Master it is not possible to use an Elite as a Walkabout handset with another Elite. Only a Select can be a 'Walkabout'.

Never connect an Elite to an Elite as a Walkabout. The firmware does not support it being a Slave controller. The Select can be both Master and Slave.

Note also that when you make selections on the Select in Walkabout mode these will feedback onto the Elite screen. When the Elite has control the Select screen will flash. This depending upon each controller firmware revision state.

Important - if your Select is at v1.1 do not use it to control R8247 accessory decoders. All other revision states are OK.

With the deepest respect John, but just how many times are you going to keep on asking the same question. You have already asked this question or variations of it in these two recent posts and been given answers.

As I said in the previous answer, the physical size of the layout is immaterial, it is the size of the loco fleet and loco age that you want to run concurrently that decides the power required. A Hornby 4 Amp power supply is expected to concurrently run up to 10 modern locos with low power motors. But this assumes very little power is required to operate Accessory Decoders (AD). The AD brand / model you deploy (if any) may impact on power consumption. It also assumes that the 10 locos are not all 'sound equipped' as well.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/digital-controller-recommendations/?p=1/#post-293314

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/27364/?p=2

Last post on this page....with answers on the next page

Archived