Stopping on points.

kangooman

Guys I think I may have it sorted.

After me being all cocky about my baseboard I today put the spirit level and straight edge on it and found it was very slightly bowing upwards in the middle at the point where I had mad a support. I've removed  the support and rechecked the flatness.

Now this bow just happened to be where the points are. I have made the support a fraction too high and I think that's the problem.

Train hardly stopping at all now, maybe just a little fiddling will get it perfect.

Cheers Richard

Thanks 2e0dtoeric. I presume that means numpty in French 😳

Now were cooking on gas.

Ive sorted the dip out on the base board, and got the points all nice and flat. The little 0-6-0 now crawls over the point work.

I think most of the problem was a newbie thinking he knows too much. Still hopefully other newbies will learn from my mistakes

I expect I'll hit other problems, but at least I know where to come for freindly and helpful advice.

Thanks again Richard

I think most of the problem was a newbie thinking he knows too much. Still hopefully other newbies will learn from my mistakes.

Hence my previous comment about taking advice from users with 100s combined years of experience. Main thing, it is now sorted.

Thanks RDS, 'twasn't difficult, there are any number of posts in the General forum, including very recent ones, saying exactly these 3 things (level (includes track pin in the middle of the point to achieve this), frog depth and back-to-back) and also reporting no problems with locos stopping when following them.  I just plagiarised.

• 1 year later...

The first thing to try before trying these old wives tales (rubbish ideas in my view) is to put an additional track pin in the point as close to the frog area as you can get. There is no pilot hole for it, so you will have to drill your own first. Extra pining down the centre area of Hornby points usually works.

By the way, 0-6-0s are notorious for stalling on Hornby points.

The first thing to try before trying these old wives tales (rubbish ideas in my view) is to put an additional track pin in the point as close to the frog area as you can get. There is no pilot hole for it, so you will have to drill your own first. Extra pining down the centre area of Hornby points usually works.

By the way, 0-6-0s are notorious for stalling on Hornby points.

Dear Chrissaf,

I’m having a little trouble with Hornby points and with a few trains stalling on them. 

If it’s not too much trouble, are you able to take a photo of precisely where you recommend the additional track pin should go?

Many thanks, 

Gareth

Firstly I am just repeating a fix suggested previously by others on the forum. I have never had a need to resort to trying it out. Secondly, I do not use Hornby track. So a photo of my track would be ineffective. Sorry.

Maybe somebody else who has actually used this fix will read this reply and post a photo.

PS - If I had Hornby track and had used this fix myself, then I would have gladly posted the photo as requested. It would have been no trouble at all.

... Maybe somebody else who has actually used this fix will read this reply and post a photo...

I posted a picture on page 2 of this thread, back in Feb 2017.  ( I acknowledge that the idea was taken from member WTD).  A 1.3mm hole is required.

Archived