Track Connection

LH Tim

Hi 

I have just inherited a large amount of track (over 80mtrs ) , a mixture of old and new.

As typical it had been stored in a garage and the old stuff is pretty tarnished.

I am in the process of cleaning it all up and tightening all the jointing pegs.

Despite this the cars are still running intermittently is there a gel or grease that can be added to the joints to make a better connection.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

There is no substitute for cleaning the connections. The Classic track has poorer steel than the Sport track so will no doubt will be the worse. Cleaning the inside or socket side of the track is every bit as important as cleaning the plug or spigot part. You may find the use of a dremmel drill benificial when there is a lot to do.

Finally there are conditive grease compounds about but I have never used them. You may find some help from scalextrics track care tips. Also be aware that careless use of conductive compounds may cause shorting so take care. 

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance

For decades have used small dose of vasoline on the 4 connecting tips of each piece when changing track design, which has always eliminated the need for track jumpers here.

Also occasionally use a light dose of tire cleaner (tiger milk brand at my local hobby store) on the guide brushes to keep rails clean,

after first cleaning and removing track grime from braids.

But always keep track covered when you are done playing.

Only shorts ever had on my track was caused by someone elses too low of magnet and a digital that got jammed in the lane (how that happened is beyond me).

I have sucessfully used copper tape with conductive adhesive on Classic track that I still use. The advantage of classic track is that it is "levered" into place meaning you can wrap the tape around the "peg" or "male" end and fold it into the socket or "female" end ensuring you have a copper to copper connection.

It is kep though that the oncerlying rails as clean and free from rust as possible and that you burnish (i.e. rub with a clothe) the tape down on the rails (working from the middle to the outside) very very diligently and hard.

Archived