Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

The Bay of Fleas kindly gave me a voucher, so I splashed it on the Kitty Hawk Models OS2U Kingfisher in 1/32 plus the Big-Ed upgrade set.   Unfortunately some cash was involved too....

Now for it to wend its way around most of the world to me.

The kit comes with a British colour scheme and decals - it says RAF,  but I presume RN, since they were the only operators.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, e(vil)Bay - I thought FleaBay, and variations thereof, was a recognised alternative.

I havent had vouchers before, but they suddenly sent me £15 off if I spent over £50, so far be it for me to argue.   I think it was because I looked, placed some buy-it-now items in my basket, and then didnt complete the purchase.   With the right encouragement, I did!

What?!  😮

£100.00 plus, for a lump of paper? To be percific, an out of date lump of paper! Just playing and joking, in this sentence.  😉 😆 😀

Why does it sell for so much money? Was it a limited edition catalogue, or something?

GNR-Gordon-4

Only a few were published before Airfix went into liquidation and were bought out by General Mills/Palitoy. They are comparable with rocking horse droppings.

Trumpeter Fw 200c-4, and today heard that a new mdel shop had the 1/72 Academy Opel Blitz in both early & late cab versions so I had to go & check it out, also came away with the 1/72 Blitz & Itateri battlefield building set and the 1/72 Opel Blitz ambulance. I'M building up quite an array of blitz's at the moment & it all started with the Airfix Pak 40 with an Opel Blitz truck.

Also treated myself to an O sable brush I almost choked at the price of R 225, A normal sythentic (nylon) one that size is about R 15. Still you can't beat quality as I find the synthetic brushes soon loose there point.

Remember we do this for fun 

I've picked up via eBay a number of older kits that'll initially get stashed away:

Matchbox Prowler - like the simplicity of Matchbox kits, and this one seems to be so.  Overly prominent engraved panel lines adorn the exterior, but that's never bothered me.  Transfers look unusable, but Matchbox examples are very resiliant and haven't let me down yet!

Airfix Mystere - never got this as a kid, saw a few come up on eBay, and waiting for the first few to approach their auction deadline, got it cheaper than I'd planned for.  Nice and solid, simple kit.  Transfers appear unusable, but I've coaxed many worse examples into use!

Hasegawa Cougar - good surface detail even if the panel lines are raised.  Not a problem with Hasegawa kits as the fit is generally very good which cuts done on aggressive sanding.  Like the Mystere, three came up and I waited for the first two to near close of bidding before making an offer.

Revell Tornado F3 (1/48) - I'd read that this was a good kit and having the GR4 decided to buy the F3.  Quite a number on offer, and I got mine at a good price.  Like the GR4, this looks an impressive kit but assembly will be testing I'm sure.

Just bought myself 10 mahogany bases for my ships.  I ordered them from a carpenter.  They are different sizes to fit the ships.......

The models look so much better when mounted properly.  Sorry about the poor quality pic.

/media/tinymce_upload/2d3c81171aa6d49a7cb1a55fa1853ea3.jpg