Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

Whoops I went a little mad this week with my purchases which have all just arrived. Good job my better half was out when all the parcels arrived lol .....

/media/tinymce_upload/725f91407fe09b87f6967b751bacec13.JPG

I wanted to add another FAA or 2 aircraft to my collection after my recent Fairey Swordfish build and having  done some research and read some reviews about Special Hobby kits, I thought I would give this Barracuda a try. It is the first none Airfix aircraft I have bought in several years!

/media/tinymce_upload/5800221c8d7d5dc33a68eadcd20aa851.JPG

Not worried too much about the Sshwimmwagen, I bought the kit primarily for the Opel Fuel Trunk to sit next to my Airfix Me262 build which was completed a couple of months ago.

/media/tinymce_upload/9a87d3d70d0fe2d41a56ebf16d874855.JPG 

Going to try these resin figures to add to my tanks and diorama's. The US Navy pilots will be going back as they were sent in error, I'd actually ordered a set of RN figures for my Barracuda build. 

/media/tinymce_upload/ac0127472ab2f91243d9a17eb671f595.JPG

These figure sets are going to be used with the Airfix Forward Command Post as I plan on doing a diorama round that kit soon.

Yes I know I need to hang my head in same as none of the kits are Airfix, but I couldn't get them in the Airfix range so I had to go elsewhere  ☹️. And unfortunately I'll not be able to any full build posts here either.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@T2B

Cool!  😆

I like the look of the German Fuel Truck & Schwimmwagen kit.  😆 😀

GNR-Gordon-4

Thanks ...... when I came across the kit I thought it would be useful to create a Luftwaffe airfield diorama seeing as Airfix don't offer anything of any use! Unless they have something planned that we know nothing about??            

Are Academy's products easy to get hold of, then? I have never seen any of their products before, or ever heard of them, before.

GNR-Gordon-4

I find them on Evil Bay where with research prices and postage costs can be reasonable. To be honest I was aware of them previously but didn't bother much with them as I was a die-hard Airfix fan but in recent years have been looking further afield for my vehicles and AFV's as I can get a better diversity of vehicle in a more consistent 1:72nd scale!!

To channel 'Dad's Army'...

It's a Heinkel...

🤐

{channels "The Battle of Britain"}

Messersmitt!

Actually it is a Heinkel He111 H-6

Along with the Big Eduard Etches & Masking set for the H-6

And Deluxe Materials Glue N Glaze...

.. and there maybe more purchases to come  😎

@T2B

EvilBay. I've heard that one before!  😆

Yeah, eBay can be pretty pricey. Sellers list stuff with outragers jacked up prices, above the RRP of the product, hoping a fool who does not know how much the product is worth should buy it. I try and buy andything I want at the cheapest price I can possibly buy.

GNR-Gordon-4

@T2B

EvilBay. I've heard that one before!  😆

Yeah, eBay can be pretty pricey. Sellers list stuff with outragers jacked up prices, above the RRP of the product, hoping a fool who does not know how much the product is worth should buy it. I try and buy andything I want at the cheapest price I can possibly buy.

GNR-Gordon-4

Actually although I used the phrase 'Evil Bay' in my post I quite like eBay, as it means I can do a lot of shopping without wasting time going from shop to shop looking for what I want, plus save petrol on those wasted journeys. And yes some sellers do try and over charge or 'maximize their profits' but I usually set myself a budget and search until I am happy with the product/price.

Its just like the High Street, if you don't like the price you walk out and try a different shop which sells the product you want at the price you want to pay.    

Hi GNR-Gordon-4

If your into WW2 German army stuff you might like to look at Roden kits, they do a whole range of Opel Blitz models including an airfield refueling tanker plus many other including a Command Opal Bus, these should be fairly easily available in the UK. Also Hasagawa did a range of 1/72 vehicles that you might find interesting, not sure of the availablity of them now but I'm sure they turn up on E-vll Bay.

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

Two twist drills, 1 mm & 1.2 mm to drill out the port holes on the Academy Graf Spee's hull; all 350+ of then. If Patrick can do it on his 600th scale Queen  Elizabeth I can do it on a 350 scale model. Tried it on the Airfix Graf Spee and it took ages.

Remember we do this for fun                        John the Pom

@ JS

Thanks John, as it happens I have almost the full range of Hasegawa kits in my stash and built as they are very good. I also have a lot of the now virtually extinct Esci AFV's as they also are excellent. And I have just discovered Roden and have so far added 2 to my collection. You maybe interested by the new Revell vehicles are good, some appear to be updated Esci tools but some are new tools like the Sdz 7/1 & 7/2.

Sadly I can't post any of my AFV builds here ☹. I did search for another forum to post them on but gave up as none seem as user friendly as this site?

Sadly I can't post any of my AFV builds here ☹. I did search for another forum to post them on but gave up as none seem as user friendly as this site?

Have you tried the Airfix Tribute Forum

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php?sid=c801ac24e6d854e4585e792e18865583

We show other brands too

I did Ratch even created a login but couldn't get it to work for me. Maybe I gave up too easily and will give it another try?

Two twist drills, 1 mm & 1.2 mm to drill out the port holes on the Academy Graf Spee's hull; all 350+ of then. If Patrick can do it on his 600th scale Queen  Elizabeth I can do it on a 350 scale model. Tried it on the Airfix Graf Spee and it took ages.

Remember we do this for fun                        John the Pom

Err! Umm this was posted last night but now I can't get it to go away. every time I open this forum It's still there.

hopefully if I repost it it'll go away. Mr admin if you see this please deleat it. 

Thanks JtP

Actually although I used the phrase 'Evil Bay' in my post I quite like eBay, as it means I can do a lot of shopping without wasting time going from shop to shop looking for what I want, plus save petrol on those wasted journeys. And yes some sellers do try and over charge or 'maximize their profits' but I usually set myself a budget and search until I am happy with the product/price.

Its just like the High Street, if you don't like the price you walk out and try a different shop which sells the product you want at the price you want to pay.

Yeah, eBay can be good, as long as the product you want is from a seller who isn't trying to rip you off.

You mention about fuel, which I totally understand myself, only acquiring my first car, back in November. There are sellers that charge for postage though and until you add the postage on to the cost of the product, the postage can out value the cheapness of the product, making the High Street model shop the cheapest!  😆

I was always like to buy from sellers offering free delivery.