Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

Working near London, so a pilgrimage to Hannants:

Pre ordered - the new 1/48 Blenheim, plus a few masks, photoetch etc for various kits

In the second hand section, a Revell Dornier 215 Nightfighter, plus some PE thrown in, then I saw the "Classic Airliner" HP-42 in 1/144 (two brand new, sealed, copies) so obviously I had to take it!

I was hoping for the new Hunter, but it is "delayed", so no luck...

Now I'd better get SWMBO something VERY nice for under the tree!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently building the 1:72 Warhawk/Zero dogfight double that I got off Ebay.

Also waiting for three(!) Shorts Tucano T.1 (1:72) in 'Lest We Forget' livery. A local seller (in Aus) had three kits so I bought them all. One will be built gear up, another gear down and one just left in the box for now.  I saw someone framed an unassembled kit using the box art and instructions as background and the parts all painted but left on the sprues - I thought it looked very arty. I have a soft spot for the Great War/Anzac stuff and when I saw these I had to have them. I'll be taking extra care with the builds. Any tips for applying gloss black?!

Also hoping to make the journey to the nearest 'proper' hobby shop before Christmas to pick up some essential supplies suggested on the Forum and maybe a kit or two.

Merry Christmas to all. :)

Hi Jeff.

Any tips for applying gloss black?!

Hope your shopping spree goes well. Possibly the best gloss black is done with matt black then a gloss varnish applied over it. As I  know some gloss colours can be a bit awkward. Matt seemingly seens to cover more easily.

Remember we do this for fun              John the Pom

Currently building the 1:72 Warhawk/Zero dogfight double that I got off Ebay.

Also waiting for three(!) Shorts Tucano T.1 (1:72) in 'Lest We Forget' livery. A local seller (in Aus) had three kits so I bought them all. One will be built gear up, another gear down and one just left in the box for now.  I saw someone framed an unassembled kit using the box art and instructions as background and the parts all painted but left on the sprues - I thought it looked very arty. I have a soft spot for the Great War/Anzac stuff and when I saw these I had to have them. I'll be taking extra care with the builds. Any tips for applying gloss black?!

Also hoping to make the journey to the nearest 'proper' hobby shop before Christmas to pick up some essential supplies suggested on the Forum and maybe a kit or two.

Merry Christmas to all. :)

Bummer - two days after confirming the order fot the Tucano's I was advised they were out of stock. Oh well at least I don't have to tackle the gloss black paint now.

This morning I popped into The Model Shop in Northampton to stock up on a few scenic materials.

Great more dioramas in the pipe-line.

Remember we do this for fun                            John the Pom

Its the one I'm currently working on.

Airfix 1/72 F-51D 

Academy 1/72 P-47D 'Eileen' edition. 

Not usually my first choices as they are very much part of the 'usual suspects' lineup. However both boxes are buck the trend in having camouflaged options of what are generally modelled as NMF subjects - the Dominican Mustang with its Brown 'clouds' on Green, and the US Thud in Medium Green over Neutral Grey.

Ironic as my latest project is going the other way...USN Grey over White backdated to NMF! 

My lastest additions to my stash and growing build list!

/media/tinymce_upload/02f06717cc6a31c5c1ef5c1e2917e48f.JPG

Not sure what I'll do with the swordfish yet, but I wanted the Hurricane Mk.IIB for for Hurricane collection.

/media/tinymce_upload/d670fa55300dd664220e4dd37add9b72.JPG

A gift from a modelling friend who took pity on me after the demise of my MPM Hudson attempt. It was in his stash which he said he'd never get around to building so he gave me the chance to have another go at doning the hudson.

/media/tinymce_upload/f7dc4621890563b7bc4262e04c349785.JPG

Got this 1 online and they are quite hard to get hold of so had to pay full price, more than its shelf value but I wanted it so it had to be paid. It should be worth it but watch for the upcoming build lol.

/media/tinymce_upload/a30867ab8d87778f7fa976afba4daead.JPG 

Some extra detail bits for my next Blenheim build sometime in the New Year!

/media/tinymce_upload/e0663e2169e3593953147240820b04e8.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/166c9df26fb3c60df53e9dfa7cdf2dc6.JPG

And finally a visit to my LMS last week and I came out with these two kits. Well you can't leave empty handed can you??

Finally made that 800km round trip to the real hobby shop! Picked up a few kits to keep me busy after I finish the Warhawk/Zero Dogfight Double I'm currently working on. They are:

Hawker Hurricane (can someone identify the other plane in the background of the box art?).

/media/tinymce_upload/4b09b0503f8d9a14918490600df46e3b.jpg

Then a Dakota with Willys Jeep set - this might be fun seeing it is the same colour as the Warhawk I was whinging about being a pin to paint (but I did get some spray primer to try out as well).

/media/tinymce_upload/20ba12dc559d2980605f9885ae5fcfb2.jpg

and finally an Avro Lancaster! This and the Dakota will be a challenge for me as thy are both significantly larger than all the other kits I've attempted. But as someone once said "How do you eat an elephant? One mouthful at a time.

/media/tinymce_upload/8dc3cd14dbf1db32ecc7abf92a511412.jpg

I also picked up some 'real' paints (rather than the tiny pots in the kits I have previously bought), a few tools and accessories suggested by forum members to go with the work station with magnifier from my better half. Thanks for all your help. Merry Christmas to all.

Its Christmas, so I popped in to my LMS (Models Unlimited, in Inverurie) and emerged with yellow paint (my daughter wants to have a Daddy day joint building the Yellowjacks Gnat) and the 1/72 Dakota Mk III.

Somehow I managed to distract SWMBO enough to smuggle the box past her....

Merry Christmas to all here!

Which yellow? The Yellowjacks best OTC mix is actually Tamiya "lemon yellow" gloss. As a Brucie bonus, that even dries fast enough that if you can interior and build dead quick you can overcoat before sitting down, have dinner, and apply decals after coffee!