Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

My lastest acquisitions over the past month are:-

2 x sets of Bachmann N Gauge Figures

2 x Oxford N Gauge Die Cast Cars - these are for a planned future 1:144th scale project

1 x Airfix 1815 French Grenadier of the Imperial Guard 54mm Figure

1 x  Airfix 1815 French Line Infantryman 54mm Figure - these are for a IPMS Model Club Show Build

1 x ACE 1:72nd Citroen Avant (WW2 era) with 3/4 acquired Caesar Resistance Fighters

1 x Airfix 1:72nd EE Canberra PR.9

2 x Airfix 1:72nd Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a

1 x Eduard Zoom  AW Whitley Mk.V detail Set for Airfix kit

1 x Eduard AW Whitley Mk.V Mask Set for Airfix kit

and finally ......

2 x Airfix 1:72nd Messerschmitt Me262A-1A (Pre-Order I was expecting in July)

I don't know when I will get them done but they are all intended to be build and not add to my 'stash' of loft insulation!! 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm thrilled to bits because I've tracked down a lovely brand new 1/72 Nimrod. I've been looking for one for a while, and came across this one purely by chance online.

Apart from that I've also found a 1/72 MiG 15 on Ebay. It's a Mistercraft kit, it cost all of £2.50 and came from Poland. It has no cockpit (just an empty space), a very small amount of raised detail on the outside, no canopy detail and the pilot looks like he has a serious deformity. I've been playing around adding some cockpit detail with bits of plasticard and wire, and have found a nicely modelled Airfix pilot to sit in the basic L shaped seat. 

What seduced me (apart from the price) are the 'exotic' decals; Soviet Russian, East German, Czech, Bulgarian, Romanian and N. Korean. They're poorly printed but I think I might be able to clean them up with a bit of careful scalpelling. Even if I can't, I'm having a huge amount of fun with it and that's what this hobby of ours is all about isn't it?

I'm thrilled to bits because I've tracked down a lovely brand new 1/72 Nimrod. I've been looking for one for a while, and came across this one purely by chance online.

Apart from that I've also found a 1/72 MiG 15 on Ebay. It's a Mistercraft kit, it cost all of £2.50 and came from Poland. It has no cockpit (just an empty space), a very small amount of raised detail on the outside, no canopy detail and the pilot looks like he has a serious deformity. I've been playing around adding some cockpit detail with bits of plasticard and wire, and have found a nicely modelled Airfix pilot to sit in the basic L shaped seat. 

What seduced me (apart from the price) are the 'exotic' decals; Soviet Russian, East German, Czech, Bulgarian, Romanian and N. Korean. They're poorly printed but I think I might be able to clean them up with a bit of careful scalpelling. Even if I can't, I'm having a huge amount of fun with it and that's what this hobby of ours is all about isn't it?

Be careful with those decals Timmas, I've made a few Mistercraft kits and the decals have been very fragile.

Hi Timmas.

How about scanning those dodgy decals and getting them lazer printed onto some decent decal paper. Only problem is you can't print white, but you could use white decal paper, but then you have to be really accurate when you cut them out. If you do decide to reprint them add some extras just in case. Another dodge is to coat the deals with liquid decal solution or you could try a matt acrylic varnish like Vallejo; that works because I've done it.

Good luck it's a pity you can't post a picture of the outcome ( not an Airfix kit )but maybe you could write about it in the techniques section. something like Saving Dodgy Decals or simular.

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

You should definately get the Re-supply set James, I recommend it 😆

Acquired the Re-supply set on a certain auction site, for a 3rd of RRP

Ha that could have been the 1 that I was watching. But with so many other kits on my list decided not to dip my toe with a bid when it started going up! But well done on grabbing a bargain, it's 1 of the plus's of a certain auction site!!

Hi Timmas.

How about scanning those dodgy decals and getting them lazer printed onto some decent decal paper. Only problem is you can't print white, but you could use white decal paper, but then you have to be really accurate when you cut them out. If you do decide to reprint them add some extras just in case. Another dodge is to coat the deals with liquid decal solution or you could try a matt acrylic varnish like Vallejo; that works because I've done it.

Good luck it's a pity you can't post a picture of the outcome ( not an Airfix kit )but maybe you could write about it in the techniques section. something like Saving Dodgy Decals or simular.

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

Hi John

That trick with the decals sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I could scan and clean them up, or even use the scan as a template to redraw them.

Thanks for the tip! :-)

Hi Timmas

If you've got a program ;like Corel Draw it's better to re-draw them in that program as it's not resolution dependent. You can also add all the stencils you might need ( I find Arial font covers most cases.). type them out in 10pt then shrink them down to the size you want. I've done that and shrunk them down to +/- 1pt and they're still readable with a magnifing glass just remember to convert the final CDR file to curves before printing. If you're using a bit-map editor like photo-shop then use 600dpi or higher to avoid jagged edges.

Hope this helps.

Remember we do this for fun                          John the Pom

My latest ..arrivals is about 30 kits 

This uncludes  a batch of F4 phantom II's 

Eduard's Good Evening Da'nang F4C 

Academy F4J

Hasegawa RAF phanton FG1

Hasegawa RF4B  vmfp-3

Hasegawa RF4B  vcmj-2

Hasegawa mitsubishi F1

Hasegawa F15A ADTAC

Airfix P40B (new) and vintage Hurricane mk1

A few vintage monogram kits ...p40b, p47d, p51d, sb2c helldiver,  B25 mitchell, mosquito

Revell Euro Fighter Typhoon Single seater 

BAC srikemaster 

Esci sepcat jaguar

Tarangus bulldog T1

Heller SE313 alluette.

A few 1:32 including a revell tornado & heinkel he219 uhu

21 century mitsubishi A6m3

Matchbox spitfire Mk22/24 

1:72 airfix Lancaster B.I hellcat & avenger tbf-3, monogram F7F-3 tigercat

1:144 C-17A globemaster

some Mr Paint  levelling thinner , tool cleaner 

Hi Timmas

If you've got a program ;like Corel Draw it's better to re-draw them in that program as it's not resolution dependent. You can also add all the stencils you might need ( I find Arial font covers most cases.). type them out in 10pt then shrink them down to the size you want. I've done that and shrunk them down to +/- 1pt and they're still readable with a magnifing glass just remember to convert the final CDR file to curves before printing. If you're using a bit-map editor like photo-shop then use 600dpi or higher to avoid jagged edges.

Hope this helps.

Remember we do this for fun                          John the Pom

Hi John

I use Adobe Illustrator (similar to Corel) as it'sa vector programme,andas you say, it's not resolution dependent.I probably won't bother with stencils because I've also bought and another, better MiG 15 (see below) which has much more detail.

Incident

Over the weekend I had delivered

Osprey Men-At-Arms Series 98 – Dutch-Belgian Troops Of The Napoleonic Wars ISBN 0-85045-347-X Osprey Men-At-Arms Series 371 – Wellington’s Dutch Allies 1815 ISBN 1-84176-393-4 from World Books

and

Spray-Craft Airbrush Cleaner

Swan Moreton 0113 No.26 Straight Scalpel Blades

HaT 8096 Waterloo Netherlands Militia & Belgian Infantry

from ModelsforSale