Devious Diesel, Toby, and other old characters.

I remember how, so many years ago, I got Devious Diesel. He's still strong, but over the years, I've noticed problems with the character's shell. I would replace him, but all Hornby Diesel's are the same. A similar problem goes for Toby, but I dont have one. Now, what would it be like if Hornby remade some of the older characters (Stepney, Dart, Spencer, Duck, Oliver, ect...) but with the new style faces? I'm interested to see what would happen, so post your thoughts on the matter.

I hope Hornby bring back some more engines for 2018, at least Toby.

I think the newer releases have the same face moulding (Except Edward and Henry apparently, however I don't see any moulding differences), but with different eye brows and larger pupils. So maybe it will be the same case for future engine releases.

I want Toby, Duck, Bill, Ben, Devious Diesel to be brought back with better faces. The current six loco's (Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James and Percy) have CGI faces. That's why I am collecting them. The only one I need now is Percy.

I think part the reason Hornby changed them so much, was that the owner of Thomas & Friends (HiT Entertainment) may have Hornby to alter the models a bit to make them look how they look, in the current TV series, which has been in CGI animation, since 2009. If it wasn't for this, I do honestly think they would be exactly the same to the previous releases. Knowing Hornby, I know they would have done this.

If we look back to when the rabge was reannounced in 2015, the images for the loco's were the same as the previous releases, so are the images on the back of the boxes. If Hirnby do bring back more engine's, I am certain they will be different and hopefully better than the previous models of them.

That's the only thing I want them to change on Spencer, but owning my Spencer for almost 9 years now, I am used to him having black wheels, evening if it incorrect.

Now back to Toby. For me, Toby is the Hornby Thomas & Friends loco that needs redesigning the most. He is too tall and out of scale. He dosen't fit under of the shelf OO Gauge sheds or tunnels. I want him to the correct sort height and to open up cabs and and a better looking body piece, rather than a plastic box with stickers on the side, becuase what he looks like. It would nice to have a body that has grooves in between each look-a-like plnak of wood, not something basic that the Hornby version had.

• 2 months later...

I put a product suggestion in asking for production runs of Murdoch, Spencer, The Flying Scotsman but forgot to mention Oliver - all based on eBay prices that these models now sell for. 

I would really like to see a TTS Double Tender Flying Scotsman with smoke deflectors. I doubt I will ever see it but all you can do is ask.

Well done m_duck, for doing that. I would be very surprised to see if we will get any of those releaased, but you never know. They could be.

Not sure really if Spencer would get re-released again, as we had a limited prodction re-release of him 5 years ago, in 2012*. Same with Stepeney.

* It's that long ago the reintroduction of Stepney and Spencer were released, along with the brand new release of Spencer's Coaches in 2012, too. I can remember just finding out about these, as if it was yesterday! Dosen't time fly!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

• 1 month later...

Archived