Railroad class 31 DCC sound

Nictor

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received my class 31 and I'm very pleased with it. Nicely detailed, runs smoothly (even on motor algorithm 0!) and the sound is very good. Just need to fit lighting now, although it looks from outside as though the speaker is very close to one end and may make fitting lights there difficult.

Regards, John

A minor problem is that the buffers project further than usual beyond the NEM coupler sockets (about 3mm more than my Class 47), and I'm getting buffer locking when reversing on curves using my normal Kadee long (#19) couplers. The extra long (#20) are less than 1mm longer and I'm not sure that they will solve the problem. I suppose that I could glue the couplers part-way into the NEM socket?

Regards, John

I am very new to all this, hence my first post in response to the comments re R3592TTS, bought last week.

I found the sound to be excellent but have experienced lots of problems with the non-driving bogie shorting power when crossing points.

There is too much play on all 3 axles and I badly need to increase the width between wheels. Can anyone who has dealt with this issue comment on how to proceed please!!

I am also intrigued by the earlier post re Kadee couplings on this Class 31 Railroad model as I am currently trying to assess whether to fit Kadee on all my current and future purchases. Could the poster kindly add their views please.

Regards to you all, Roger

I am very new to all this, hence my first post in response to the comments re R3592TTS, bought last week.

I found the sound to be excellent but have experienced lots of problems with the non-driving bogie shorting power when crossing points.

There is too much play on all 3 axles and I badly need to increase the width between wheels. Can anyone who has dealt with this issue comment on how to proceed please!!

I am also intrigued by the earlier post re Kadee couplings on this Class 31 Railroad model as I am currently trying to assess whether to fit Kadee on all my current and future purchases. Could the poster kindly add their views please.

Regards to you all, Roger

I have fitteed kadees to all my stock, and have not regretted it. I use size 20 shanks for loco's and coaches, to avoid buffer lock on 2nd radius curves, however 18/19 shanks seem fine on wagons. They look better and couple more effectively.

I have just purchased the class 31 TTS, hopefully the 20s will be fine. If not, might need to remove the loco buffers and trim off a couple of mm.

If you have an Ecos, Roco Z21 or Bachmann DCC controller you may find it will not run or program until you turn the loco to face the opposite direction. I await Hornby's response. 

Hi, my first comment. Just bought TTS decoder for 31 and worked ok on 3 but as soon as I changed number to 5 using Sprog programmer have had same result as above. Will only respond correctly when facing one direction. Turn it round and its dead. Swopping over power leads has same effect. On a old Select it will only run forwards - changing direction on Select has no effect on loco direction. Programming back to 3 has no effect either.Just realised that TTS 20 does the same! Any suggestions?

Archived