Select Walkabout 1.2 v 1.5 Firmware with Elite

LMSFan72

Hi. I just purchased a brand new Select Walkabout to use with my Elite and Railmaster.

Annoyingly, having checked with the retailer that it would be the latest firmware it isn't - I have 1.2 not 1.5. (I am in separate discussions with them for them to contribute to the upgrade and am waiting for Hornby to give me a price.)

It took me a while to work it out but everything works OK (as per the relevant version of the manual) - except the points. It fires points 3 higher than the number programmed to unless I use Classic mode on the Elite. Does v1.5 firmware fix this so it works witht he Elite in Standard mode?

Many Thanks

Last time it was published the upgrade cost was £15 plus your postage costs to send it to Hornby. I vaguely recollect something about version 1.5 fixing the Classic / Standard walkabout issue, but I'm sure Rob (RAF96) will be able to confirm or not.

My notes show that Select v1.1 fixed the points addressing offset and recommended that points addresses be changed from starting at 60 to starting at 61. Yours at v1.2 should not see the address offset unless your Elite is also way, way behind on updates.

Select v1.5 main advantage over v1.2 is that it will operate all functions F0 to F28 inclusive, whereas the earlier version only operated 9 functions. Yes it will work correctly with the Elite in Standard Mode after the update.

Just be aware that if updating the Select to v1.5 and you wish to use it as a Walkabout then your Elite needs to be at v1.42 or better. The Elite v1.3 introduced Standard and Classic Modes and v1.4 introduced F0 to F28 support. The latest version v1.44 has a new foolproof update installer and supports more and more decoders by other makes than Hornby.

As you bought your Select on the understanding it was the latest revision state then I would insist the retailer either pays you for the expenses of the update (Hornby fee plus P&P one way) or gets it done for you by Hornby. Unfortuntely the Select is not user updatable.

Rob

Thanks RAF. Interesting on the points - my Elite is 1.44 so they should work then but don’t! I do have them starting at 60 though.

Just sent the Select off to Hornby. No price quoted still so it may be done under “warranty” since it’s a new unit. I have open dialog with the retailer and am waiting on confirmed cost.

I do have them starting at 60 though.

That'll probably be it then......the Hornby documentation does state that there is point numbering inconsistency if you start your point numbering scheme at 60 and not 61. For maximum compatibility the first port on the first R8247 should start at 61 when using the Select controller.

Only two weeks ago, I sent my own Select controller back to Hornby repairs for the latest firmware (mine was on the oldest version).  You do have to phone customer services to get a returns number before doing so.

Fantastic customer service.  It was posted to them on a Friday and I got it back on the following Wednesday, all fully up to date.  I had sent a £15 cheque to cover the process, which was absolutely fine with me, as my Select is years old.  The next day courier service and the speed of turnaround was just great.  They told me this time of year is usually quiet and the Select firmware doesn't take long at all for them to do.

Three weeks before that, I sent my hardly used two year old Elite controller back for repair (so well out of its one year warranty) because of an odd USB fault, which manifested itself only when it would simply refuse to communicate with the Railmaster software. A longer wait and out of the blue arrives a brand new Elite fully boxed and perfect.  No charges other than the £11 for me to insure and post the old one back.  I was over the moon with their service.

Given my own experience, and how new your Select controller is,  I would have thought Hornby may well just upgrade it free of charge.

Archived