Lane changers

Paul461

Thanks for this .  I still don't quite get why you have to snip anything ,which is  standard , to make the CLC 's work normal.

When scalextric introduced the CLC their digital powerbase couldn't run in analogue mode.

They never expected people who put lane change functionalitiy in their track to want to run analogue, so they didn't bother isolating the lanes on the lane changers.

Years later they released a digital powerbase that could be switched to analogue. This meant the CLC caused short circuit problems. Rather than changing the manufacture of the CLC they dropped the section from their range.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

must not be reading my posts

been talking about arc pro situation since monday

about time scaly sets up and formally notifies buyers/users what works and what does not

THIs new ARC pro seems to be designed in a way that seriously limits imaginative track design.

What are they thinking? Or are they not thinking?

It's like they've forgotten how to make Scalextric interesting. It's like they've regressed mentally and haven't thought about the way the product they're offering will play....has personnel changed in the design department? Have they sacked the brains and kept the monkeys?

I, for one, see nothing to entice me to 'upgrade'.

Could one of you explain what happens in ARC Pro when you use the modded curved lane changer, assuming it has been correctly modded. Incidentally that mod is very poor unless you snip a section of the link out say 3mm to ensure the cut ends snipped don't touch again.

Twigman has said the mod does not work (with ARC Pro) which I take to mean digital cars cannot run through the lane change lane.

That would generate an interesting question for pure digital circuits that have a single analogue crossover!

arc pro works great with straight dual changers

got rid of those curved changers years ago cause pia

happy with my arc pro now

it will probably satisfy 99% of those who buy it

even if their racing includes stopping to pit

which must be a generational game

Could one of you explain what happens in ARC Pro when you use the modded curved lane changer, assuming it has been correctly modded. Incidentally that mod is very poor unless you snip a section of the link out say 3mm to ensure the cut ends snipped don't touch again.

Twigman has said the mod does not work (with ARC Pro) which I take to mean digital cars cannot run through the lane change lane.

That would generate an interesting question for pure digital circuits that have a single analogue crossover!

I don't have ARC Pro so am only passing on what I have heard.

The way power is delivered to the track in digital is no longer as though the track was one big lane but is powered as two seperate lanes, the analogue way, even in digital.

This means that it is impossible to have sections of single lane (where the 2 lanes merge into a single lane) and the CLC, even modded won't work as the mod picks up power from both lanes (left rail left lane, right rail right lane)......it's a phasing issue

The way power is delivered to the track in digital is no longer as though the track was one big lane but is powered as two seperate lanes, the analogue way, even in digital.

This means that it is impossible to have sections of single lane (where the 2 lanes merge into a single lane) and the CLC, even modded won't work as the mod picks up power from both lanes (left rail left lane, right rail right lane)......it's a phasing issue

One analogue crossover in the circuit would make the layout one big single lane - what happens to your "phasing" then? 

Please post the source of your statement because at the moment I am not the least bit convinced.

One analogue crossover in the circuit would make the layout one big single lane - what happens to your "phasing" then? 

Please post the source of your statement because at the moment I am not the least bit convinced.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165866&p=1951906

Thank you Twigman,

Reading through that thread the answer seems much simpler. ARC Pro seems to have been made with the idea of at least two lanes existing which are powered and isolated independantly. That of course makes switching to Analogue mode a  piece of cake but it severely limits what you can do with Digital. Scalextric really need to list the do's and don'ts with but It means (at least the following)

Curved lane changers will not work at all unless further modified by cutting into the rails on the change lane, putting in dead spots and rewiring so each half is powered from each lane.

Odd number of crossover track pieces not allowed.

Chicanes of two lanes into one not allowed

Power boosters fitted in fixed digital layouts may need to be doubled up removing any track to track local links.

Pretty much a nightmare for any of the large fixed Digital layouts, Also a nightmare for uninformed consumers who like me like to put a single crossover into a circuit.

LOL bring back the goodwood chicane for digital users to have one! I still have my classic one I think with the adapters! maybe have to mod it to deepen the slot!

Actually Gorp I have just read through, there are plenty of posts about the C7042 APB and it starting in Basic or Pro mode but nowhere do you report the issue with ARC Pro.

The curved lane changers actually work with C7042 and can work with the Analogue mode on the C7042 APB when snipped.

ARC Pro is a completely different problem that so far as I can see was raised by Twigman on the 9th.

Just point me to where you say you raised it.

jeez blagard, all you do is click on name of poster and will take you to their posts

you think me make this up

anyways

have just confirmed failure of arc pro digital with pitlane to single lane test

see slot car illustrated, forum,  digital

Wow still dont have arc pro here in oz and probably glad now

ive been using the 4 car power base for the last 3 years just running 3 cars and was hopeing pro would solve the power problems we are now experiencing as our track grew to a rather very large circuit and in that time all ive heard and read on forums is how great the 6 car  power base is and im missing out on so much race play its not funny. I dont care about running in analog mode,i love my corner lane changers,i want pitting and race stats seems arc pro wont satisfy my needs.So what do i do now? buy the older 6 car power base so i still have the freedom to build my layouts any way i like?or go the the scaley premium brand system with its dongles $aus150+ hand controlers and hard rechip all my cars?

damn i though slot car racing was supposed to be fun and not a science lesson on whether something works or dosnt work

• 1 month later...

It sounds like (as I do not have ARC Pro) that this new app based PB is not as sophisticated as the APB but more of a "ready to use" one.  Features (including legacy incompatibilities) are more like the original C7030 6-car PB and its limitations.  Scalextric now only makes 2 "digital" lane changing pieces - XLC and Pit Lane.  Too bad the CLC issue was not resolved and their manufacture continued as they have been modified to make RLC (racing line change) as well as curved pit lane entry/exit.  Perhaps the "classic" chicane pieces (with separate lanes) and other classic track pieces should be revived as they would work with the ARC Pro PB.  Just a suggestion.

• 1 year later...

It's possible you don't need a modification - only if your ARC Pro powerbase is from the Platinum GT set or the ARC Pro update kit. Those that came with the Sunset Speedway and Le Mans 24h sets have a newer version that has the track polarity of both lanes the same. It is essential to check before you carry out potentially unnecessary modifications!

• 3 weeks later...