DCC programming

Hi, I've just bought a DCC- fitted Virgin Pendolino second hand on eBay. I placed it on my track and it moves off no matter what code is selected. I know now from the previous owner that he had givien it the code number 08. Do I have to reprogamme it and how do I do this? It also has lights in the power car and dummy car. The previous owner has told me that I need to use a programming track. Can anybody give me advice on sorting things? Please use "Idiots Guide" language. I am very new to model railways.

Cheers

What controller are you using?  I would assume elink and Railmaster as you have posted in the Railmaster section of the forum.

I suggest resetting the decoder by writing a value of 8 to CV 8.  This will (should) reset the address to 3 and hopefully set things right.  However, if you only have the Select controller you won't be able to do a reset to the decoder.

Another possibility is to reset the controller,  It might help.  For this, see the owners manual.

Your other posts indicate that you have a Hornby Select. The Hornby Select does not have a separate programming track output. In order to program a loco with a Select you need a short length of spare track (longer than the loco). You then disconnect the Select from the main layout and connect the track output of the Select to the short track length instead. This is now called your 'programming track'. You place the loco on the programming track, then follow the guidance in the Select manual regarding 'Changing your Loco DCC Address'. You can either re-write the DCC Address 08 to it, or a new address of your choice between 01 to 02  and 04 to 59 - these are the only addresses supported by the Select controller for locos. I have left out 03 from the stated range, as 03 is the default address for a brand new decoder and should ideally be avoided. The address you finally choose should be unique and not one used by any other DCC locos you might own.

Once you have finished performing any decoder configuration / programming tasks, you then disconnect the Select from the 'programming' track piece and reconnect it back onto your normal main layout where you can then test the loco on the layout track.

You say that the previous owner has told you the DCC address is supposed to be 08. It might be that the last command the previous owner gave to this loco before sending it to you was to 'move off'. This command may have been remembered by the decoder in the loco and is just obeying the last command given to it (clutching at straws here with this comment). Try selecting DCC address 08 on your Select controller (again read the manual on how to select an address) then see if you can then control the loco and bring it to a stop.

Tell us what firmware the Select has (the first two numbers that appear on the LCD screen when you power it up). Knowing the firmware will let us know what advice to give regarding what buttons to press in what order on the Select to perform basic DCC address selection and loco control functions. The button pressing orders changed with different firmware revisions.

As you have a Select you cannot perform a decoder reset as this function is not supported by the basic Select controller.

However, that all said, you say that the loco takes off just by being placed on the normal layout track. This should not normally happen with a loco that has a DCC decoder fitted, but it will happen if the DCC Decoder is not present. Are you absolutely sure that the previous owner did not remove the decoder before selling it on to you. Another indicator that the decoder may be missing ,is if the loco makes a loud buzzing or whining noise as well as racing off on its own.

If it is a Select and regardless of whether the loco is DC or DCC then pull up loco zero on the Select and rotate the speed knob to max then firmly back to zero. If the Pendo is DC (i.e. no decoder) then it will make a buzzing noise as soon as it is placed on track and it will respond as you turn the knob so be ready to catch it. If it has a decoder installed and that decoder is enabled for DC running then it may react also by running away as Chris said so again be ready.

The reason for this is if loco zero control is throttled up it changes the DCC signal form and this can affect other locos, so best to make sure loco zero is throttled to stop even if there is no DC loco on track.

If you decide to reset the Select then you have the option during the controller reset process to disable DC support by the controller. All this is in the manual (if you don't have the manual you can download it from the main site downloads area but make sure you get the right manual - the one for your Select firmware state as explained by Chris on the start up screen).

Rob

Archived