How to add additional power to 103' digital track?

AceCombs

I have a 103' digital track that I've added I've added booster cables to but I seem to be losing power and have inconsistent power.  I purchased a Digital Transformer SXTP9303 and would like to add that power to my track's existing 15 volt 4amp power supply and 4 car base.  I don't want to fry my existing 4 car base.  If I used a splitter from each power supply, is it possible that I could fry the existing 4 car base?

My local hobby shop had the same issue and added another power supply but they have the 6 car base which has two power inputs and I would assume has more capability to use two 15 volt 4 amp power supplys.

Does anyone have a suggestion to boost the power either utilizing the additional power supply or have another suggestion?

I've attached the plan and a photo of my track./media/tinymce_upload/51bfdd2a623cc61d49baaca9005dfa4f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/936f7e79d9ce05945781f656d746e951.jpg

Thanks.

The 6 car APB can have two power packs attached, which boosts the power, however, my track is around ~160 feet in total .

I added booster cables from the power base to other parts of the track to help keep a constant experience (same throttle position gives same speed).  I followed other advice in that you mark each lane as LANE A and LANE B at your power base.  Now, pick a lane, either one, and follow it around the track electrically.  Usually you want to put a booster spot in the middle of your total run.  When you reach that spot, run a cable from your power base track to the booster spot, connecting LANE A with LANE A.  Do the same for LANE B.  If you cross wire them, well, expect bad things.

I installed two taps on my track, divided total length by 3.  That helped GREATLY with the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

place car on lane 1

left side of car is a and right side is b

run car half way around 

left side of car is a and right side is still b

do the same for lane 2

left side of car now is c and right is d

run it halfways around and c is still is on left side and d is on right

a,b,c, and d jumpers from powerbase track piece can go across if necessary or anywhere else you believe there is a power problem - you decide its your track

just install them again a to a, b to b, c to c and d to d

personally do not use jumpers and just add slight vasoline to rail connectors, keep track aligned properly, build flat tracks and cover track when not using

I’ve also been getting incredibly confused with the booster cables...do you just connect wire to the track near the power base and run them to the furthest point of he track and connect In the same way? 

That is pretty much what you do. Use a cable for each lane and to avoid accidently mixing the lanes do as Gorp says, run a car around the track (without changing lanes and link the lane back to the powerbase area.

If you have really long track you might want to consider linking a 1/3 of the way around and again 2/3 of the way around. Make sure you connect the left and right rails the same as you started otherwise you would short the track.

If that does not help it probably means you have bad track to track connections somewhere, so you need to hunt those down and deal with them.

Archived