Hornby Railroad Mallard TTS sound chip.

Forum-1211528

Do you have a Hornby Railroad DCC fitted Mallard, well now Hornby has released the A4 tts sound chip as a separate item you might wanna put sound on it! Heres were trouble starts the first part removing the existing DCC chip inside the loco is easy, when you want to put the TTS sound chip in the loco the speaker goes inside the tender and the chip in the loco these need to be separated as the loco and tender connect together with a brass plug and socket this cant connect the TTS sound chip to the speaker so another complicated mess up by Hornby as why didnt they make the speaker separate so it goes into the tender then wire everything together so it works easily? I hate to think how this will work on an Eighties Hornby A4 or a Wrenn one just even a worser Nightmare!! 🫨

Just get a 'sugar cube' speaker to replace the supplied round speaker and install in the boiler space........it's not really a problem........we are fortunate the product has been made available but you can't expect several variations to retro fit all models.......... 😀..........HB

I fitted the A4TTS decoder to an A4 Mallard R2784X with the supplied speaker fitted in the tender. A little bit of judicious trimming of the speaker housing allowed it to fit in the Ringfield armature space! I hard wired without using connecting plug and socket. It sounds great.

...the loco and tender connect together with a brass plug and socket this cant connect the TTS sound chip to the speaker so another complicated mess up...

Not sure how you can claim that Colin.

I've never seen a brass plug and socket - plastic yes.

Complicated mess up - the decoder comes with a plug on it and the speaker attached. - can't get much easier than that unless Santa puts an Elf in the box to fit it for you.

Rob

Archived