Converting Analogue Cars to Digital

Evzone

Ok, I get that it’s relatively easy to convert DPR cars by installing the chip, however older cars or some other makes require the C7005 chip, which needs soldering and some modelling skills.  

I will at some point try to do this but my question is does anyone know of a supplier, modeller etc who offers this as a service?  I’m rather loathed to make a hash of some of the lovely cars I’ve started collecting, and I’d love to use the full functionality of my new ARC pro kit.

As usual all advice is greatly appreciated.  

You could ask at slot forum or slot car illustrated .

Have you decided how much more you are willing to spend ?

Takes me couple hours to do proper job on fairly easy cars so your cost would be time charge, degree of difficulty,  car and chip, and shipping , all which adds up quickly.

What if you have a problem later, are you planning to send it out for repairs also ?

Perhaps you should learn to solder  and work on your own toys to save a fortune.

I agree with Gorp on this. Learn to solder get some silicone wire in various colours, Something like 22 AWG/24AWG would be in the right ballpark and some heat shrink tubing and mod them yourself. If the chip goes wrong I would not have a clue how to fix that but the wiring is very simple. Securing the chip board in the car is the awkward bit as you need to find the space to fit it and then secure it. - A hot glue gun might help there!

Don't even think about making a hash of your cars - If you can't fit the board inside without trimming the body I would suggest you leave them alone. Use Analogue mode when you want to run them.

You could try your local Scalextric supplier - In York, the Monk Bar Model shop supplies Scalex and Hornby etc, and they convert Analogue cars to Digital for a fiver, and a good job they do of it to, having converted a Ford Focus, Suburu Impreza, and a Ford GT40 to date. They have even fitted LED front light to the Focus! I have also asked them to convert the Lancia Stratos cars that I have on order, which they have said is possible.

Archived