Adaption of Princess....Methods

Guest Chrissaf

The Turbomotive itself has been the subject of a number of DIY conversions of Hornby Princesses, including the early Tri-ang type one although in the latter case not strictly to scale!  I have however never seen a model of' Princess Anne', in fact photos of the real loco are rare.

Poor 'Princess Anne' was a very unlucky engine indeed, but would indeed make an interesting 'cut and shut' edition. However given the extremely short life of the prototype and the fact ot is very much a 'one off' I very much doubt it would be an economic model as ready to run. One solid fact is that as 'Princess Anne' would only be only available in one livery. (Does anybody know if it was in blue or green? It came out of Crewe just about the time that blue was being discontinued for class 8 locos and green substituted instead )

I could see it succeeding if done in the same way as the new 2017 Hornby Princess Coronation has been,  to include the Ivatt version by modelling an alternative cab. i.e. he tooling made to accomodate the alternative front end.   It might even be possible to incorporate the original Turbomotive with a bit more ingenuity. That way all the Princess class, including 6205 with alternative valve gear might also get a look in.

The other 'one offs' however have the advantage of lasting more than 6 months in actual service. DoG and the blue Deltic are after all still extant. White Lion, Falcon and Kestrel were at least about for a number of years before being scrapped or sold, and were frequently photographed at work.

@LC&DR

I'm looking at a photo of Princess Anne on page 130 (lower)  Eric Treacy's Lure of Steam. It's unfortunately a B/W photo but it's very well lit and it appears to be lined green. Blue and green liveries can be difficult to tell apart but my money is on green.

Was she as old as 6 months when she was involved in the Harrow smash? Could it be that it's service was calculated to the date she was written off rather than the date of the accident?

😀

6202/46202 Princess Anne. How about if Hornby adapts a front part body shell of a Duchess-Coronation and use the Cab rear half of the Princess Royal models what Hornby use to manufacture? All you need are a motorised chassis like that of the Duchess of Atholl and a Princess Royal pony truck and a slight drop level of the body skirt and WOW! Surely that could be made possible and would go in my collection of Princess Pacifics nicely anyway! Any chance of production in the near future Hornby?

I have been doing  bit of research and I also conclude that 46202 was green.  46201 was reported out of Crewe in green a couple of months before 46202, as were 46230 and several others.

Does anyone have the exact dates that blue and subsequently green liveries were applied to all Stanier Pacifics (and for that matter to the GW Kings?)

It was definitely green. There is a colour picture in "The Colour of Steam, vol 6, The LMS Pacifics" by Derek Huntriss. It was less than three months old when it crashed (August - October 1952).

Models would need to be a carefully researched mixture. Princess Anne had a Duchess-style chassis with 7'3" + 7'3" driving wheel base, and forward mounted outside cylinders. The tender was smaller, carrying 9 tons of coal instead of 10 tons.(Source is "Stanier Locomotives" by Brian Haresnape.)

Princess Ann may look like a royal/Coronation. But its not that simple. The top was princess royal the steam ports and saddle looked like a coronation but was a one off, so it fitted the smaller diameter of a royal boiler. After the crash it was Anne's main frames used to repair City of Glasgow. As Glasgows were bent by 3 inch.  To repair Anne would have cost a lot more due to the one off parts. Ports, saddle, boiler smokebox. 

So hornby can't just mix and match to make a princess Anne. However I am hoping  Hornby will bring out a all new Princess Royal with the ability to model all the differences of the clasd

Archived