Thoughts?

Wobblinwheel

I saw on a forum once upon a time, asking for suggestions about what features should be made as NMRA standards on all decoders. One idea I have thought of is a feature that would basically "shut down" the decoder in the loco: turning off the sound. Turning off response to ANY commands from the controller, and making  it impossible to  attempt to reprogram. Simply pressing same function again returns loco back to "active". I would suggest a "double-digit" funtion to prevent accidental shut down, OR a "double-tap" function. I have an unusual controller that switches from DCC to DC with a press of a button, which is a nice feature, but consequently only allows for a limited number of single digit address assignments. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to "shut down" a loco with just a press of a button, rather than having to have switchable "dead" sidings? QSI used to have decoders that double-tap F9 once would make loco not respond to throttle, but kept all sounds respond to controller. Double-tap F9 again would keep sounds on, but not respond to controller. Double-tap F9 a third time would shut down loco entirely, no sound. Double-tap F6 would return loco to normal. Downside on "shut down" is it would still respond to programming. Not so good... What do you think of this feature?

Hi Wobblinwheel 

I agree with Rob and 2eOdtoeric as I’m having difficulty with getting the normal CVs right at the moment as I have just mastered the easy ones with RM and I’m about to get adventurous now with trying to do a speed curve and at least if I make a mess of it I can reset the decoder back to the manufacturers settings and I wouldn’t even know where to start with putting a decoder to sleep and then remembering how to wake it back up unless HRMS makes a setting in it’s programme like how CV29 is with the options for to either have it enabled or not 

Hedley

The QSI decoder I mentioned does all the things I mentioned EXCEPT it still responds to programming. By pressing F10, it verbally announces it's address and it's "shutdown" status. Doesn't seem to have all the "bugaboos" you seem to be scared of... it obviously is possible to have a decoder set not to respond to any commands... except one... not to mention there are plenty decoders out there that have the "lock" function to prevent accidental re-programming. The QSI decoder I'm talking about was in the first sound-equipped locos offered in the US in the early 2000's. This is not "new" technology...! Just very useful, to me anyway. In the case of QSI, pressing F10, or double-tap F6, to get status, or Wake up the engine, has not been something I ever "forgot"! You guys need to sober up...

Hi 

I’m very sober and you asked a question of our thoughts regarding features that could be implemented in decoders and all I had said that I personally wouldn’t want to purchase or have this type of decoder as I’m an old dog learning new tricks and still learning about how to program and although it’s taking me a while but I’m slowly getting there but at the moment if I did install sound decoders in my fleet of locos I would stick with either the ESU v4 micro or the Zimo as I have an n gauge layout so I would only install a 6 pin decoder in my locos 

Hedley

If you had a loco that if you double-clicked F9, and the loco shut down, and then double-clicked F6 to "wake it up", that could become a "problem"? I gotta think about that one.... of course, I would think a "CV 8 override reset" could be incorporated, but I can't imagine why. If your function controls suddenly stopped working, an F 8 reset probably wouldn't either! 

You guys need to sober up...

I'm not sure how to respond to that, so I'll totally ignore it.  🤔

I do not see the point in being able to put a decoder 'to sleep'. DCC decoders, unless commanded to do something, just sit there and do nothing. You might gain a few milliamps of unused power, but that's all.

Against that, to use a 'sleeping' loco, you would need to 'call it up', then wake it up, then give it the move/make noises command. Just extra button-pushes, making everything more cumbersome.

All you will have done is create a digital version of an analogue layout, where each loco is parked on an isolated section, and needs to be mechanically selected by a switch, before it will move.

Hi

you have been in this hobby for years and I have only been doing dcc for about 6 months and yes it all seems very simple to you both but it still seems a bit difficult for me maybe that I’m a slow worker or even a slow learner but that’s me and not you and probably if I had half of your time in the hobby and dcc then probably I might just might agree with both of you and you both have stated that you have been modelling with American locomotives for years well I haven’t had that pleasure and maybe been spoilt with British locos and just starting to get used to them and learning to program them and I still agree with Eric ( sorry for shortening your name ) that it seems daft to me as well putting a decoder into a loco and programming it for to send it to sleep in a siding? or like I say it just might be me anyway welcome to the hobby of MODEL railways to anyone who is just starting out like me and having an opinion about what you have learned from it and reading this post especially when it asked for your thoughts and you give them just for to be told to sober up well I suppose that’s life 

Hedley

In the IT world, which essentially is what DCC is in, you dont have a big switch off button. It's one reason NASA doesnt fit an off switch to rovers on Mars. Someone may switch it off and then you're goosed. Or rather your rover is. I think the OP is really thinking of an instant reset switch but being new to DCC, not sure if that is right?

What Id like to see in DCC is

• standardisation on the size ie length width of decoders (maybe there is but Im seeing different sized ones!),
  • standardisation on the number of pins (Im seeing 8, 21 and now 18 pin decoders),
  • the decoder having the pins and the loco has the sockets (think Im correct 21 pin decoders have the sockets and the board on the loco has the pins?)
  • a north south orientation of decoders in locos (Im seeing north south, east west orientations)
  • wires coming off the decoder in the same north south orientation instead of coming off the sides
  • ability to upload your own or change sound files via bluetooth or micro usb (think this is starting to come in?)
  • standardisation of speaker size for locos (Im seeing round ones, square one and oblong ones) although this is more a manufaturer's issue than DCC.

I have a number of US locos factory fitted with QSI decoders, I find that being able to shut the loco down with a double F9 tap is extreemly useful.

Thank you! Once you've tried it, it does come in handy, especially with QSI "three mode shut down". 1. Double-tap F9- all sounds respond- engine won't move. 2. Double-tap F9 again- no response to whistle or bell- engine won't move. 3. Double-tap F9- third time- total shut down. No sound at all, engine non-responsive. Double-tap F6- back to normal. Good feature! Guaranteed to "short-circuit" your brain....! Seriously, a nice feature, especially if you have more than one loco with the same address. (out of necessity, as with DC/DCC controller)

I'm probably missing something here, but what does putting a decoder to sleep achieve? Aren't they technically asleep anyway until you tell them to do something? And if they are going to do something crazy like an uncontrolled run, won't that happen whether they are asleep or not?

I put my sound to sleep with F1, and stop the loco from moving by turning the knob to off. OK 2 functions, not one.

Not trying to be difficult, trying to understand the benefit

Hi 

I think that Lt Cmdr Data’s Cat and Michael A are quite right as well and personally I wouldn’t pay £100 plus for a decoder for to put it to sleep the way you do either by double tapping etc and yes maybe that’s what you want from your layout and locos as well as the hobby but I don’t and as far as I’m concerned I should have the right to my opinion like everyone else on this thread without being told for to get the NMRA for to make it into the settings in decoders across the spectrum as for me personally I’m quite happy with the way things are at present and like I have said in my other responses you asked for everyones opinions regarding the NMRA settings being  installed in decoders and all I had said was that I wouldn’t like to have it personally but each to their own and I can’t understand why a person asking a question and as soon as someone says something that they are not happy with throws his toys out of the pram 

Hedley

The reason this feature is particularly useful to me is my controller. It is a MRC TECH 6, which is switchable from DCC to DC. It also has a hand held throttle with keypad, which most DC controllers do not. It delivers very " clean" DC, and is an excellent DCC, 6amp system. The only real drawback is it is limited to only single digit addresses, one thru six. Consequently, I have some duplicate addresses. Being able to "shut down" individual locos enables me to run only one of two locos with the same address, without having to kill the power to a certain section of track. It seems to be a fairly popular setup over here for those who still have a lot of DC locos they want to run, and use the same hand held control. If I had a regular DCC only controller, where I could use unlimited addresses, well, the shutdown feature may not be that necessary...

Hi Wobblinwheel

if only you had explained this earlier in the thread I probably might have agreed with you especially in your situation and I dare say that if I had the same layout and controller I would have probably been the one wanting exactly the same thing as you however I don’t have your type of controller and therefore at this time I don’t need this function on my decoders personally but as you say maybe one day the NMRA will make it compulsory for manufacturers for to make it a standard CV in all decoders 

Hedley

Archived