Class 50 TTS Decoder

Somerset Modeller

Are Hornby going to release a Class 50 TTS decoder?

In the meantime could a Class47 TTS decoder be used and would the sounds be similar, would it be easy enough to change the other CV setting to replicate a Class 50 with a Class 47 TTS decoder?

Class 47 sound better than no sound or would another TTS decoder be a better match?

Lots of users can't afford the loksound decoder for a Class 50.

Check if they have the same engine for starters, then what about the horns as the 47 horns are very distinctive. Most of the other sounds are fairly common across diesels e.g. fans, valves, door slams, couplers, etc.

There are no CVs you can change to make one TTS decoder sound like another, you can only adjust the volume settings and motor control algorithms and a few other parameters.

Rob

The Class 50 and the Class 47 do sound distinctly different (I have both), however, the class 40 TTS is IMO a much better match to the cl50.......probably because the real ones have similar 16 cyl English Electric motors.......HB

• 9 months later...

I would suggest doing some research and having a look at some videos on YouTube of class 40s and class 50s.  The engine sounds are very different as suggested by their respective nicknames 'Whistlers' and 'Hoovers'.

Class 40 

Class 50 

TTS Decoder for Class 50 (R8123) expected ( 🤐) April 2019:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/tts-sound-decoder-diesel-class-50.html

I suspect that these will be very popoluar and will all get hoovered up very quickly  😆

I hope that Hornby have looked at compatability with older releases of the class 50 although removing the redundant working fan assembly will create plenty of room for fitting a quality sounding speaker.

I hope that Hornby have looked at compatability with older releases of the class 50 although removing the redundant working fan assembly will create plenty of room for fitting a quality sounding speaker.

Why would they. It is a stand alone standard format product with no specific difference between any of the different marques apart from speaker size and shape.

Any adaptive engineering to make it retro fit other than to a sound ready (i.e. all later tender engines) is down to you.

If the fan is working then its not redundant unless you make it so.

Rob

Why would they. It is a stand alone standard format product with no specific difference between any of the different marques apart from speaker size and shape.

Any adaptive engineering to make it retro fit other than to a sound ready (i.e. all later tender engines) is down to you.

If the fan is working then its not redundant unless you make it so.

Rob

I think it would be very thoughtful of Hornby to consider compatability to encourage those who are not so gifted as you to be able to fit spekaers without having to carry out major surgery to a model.

With regard to teh working fans in teh class 31 and class 50 models they are generally more of a hindrance than  a help.  I shallat least be cutting the drive belt on my  models next time they go on the layout.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest info direct from Hornby about the Class 50 (Hoover) TTS due in April.

The Class 50 recordings are from a Class 50 in preservation. i.e. the later state after the refurbishment program of 1979-1984.

The equipment which gave rise to the class nickname of ‘Hoover’ because of the characteristic ‘sucking’ noise had been removed from all Class 50 locos by 1984. We do not know of any contemporary recordings in existence which could be successfully employed on DCC sound decoders. 

Running with the Engine sounds plus Fan sound will give an approximation of the ‘Hoover’ versions, but will not be truly authentic.

I have sound recordings of unrefurbished Hoovers but not unfortunately not sufficent to use for developing a sound decoder.  It wouldbe great if one of the preserved 50s was engineered back to original condition.

Read here - good reasons why they were refurbished and no good reason why you rebuild one to original configuration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_50

Archived