Older Thomas Wagons and Passenger Car Wheels

Old Hobo

Hello.

This is my first post here!

I have quite a few older (1990's) Hornby Thomas wagons and passenger cars with plastic wheels, and I would like to find out if there are metal wheels availbale to replace the plastic ones.

Does anyone know where I can get them, if at all?

Welcome 

Generally the standard Hornby metal wagon and/or coach wheels are interchangeable with their plastic versions, but it is worth checking axle length, wheel diameter and pattern (spokes, disk, holes, etc). All the current metal wheel sets in the shop here are pointed end axles, but some are double insulated and some single side insulated - useful for picking up track power for lighting.. See examples X9096, R8097, R8100,

Others will be along shortly to put me right if necessary as we have several Thomas experts on the forums.

Rob

While it is true that the Hornby wheels work on the wagons, they sometimes snag on the brake shoes. To run them nicely, use wheels smaller than the Hornby metal ones of cut off the brake shoes. The coaches use the same tool as the Railroad GWR coaches, and even the Thomas coaches of today, so standard Hornby wheels will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived