elink losing control

jbcontrol

H i  again, my querie at the moment is why does my elite lose control. i can have two locs running on the layout and for some unknown reason the controllers will not slow down or stop either locos. the allstop botton will not stop them, i have even switched off my computer and still the trains are golng they will only stop by switching the the elink supply off  .' This has happened three times now over a period of 4/5 weeks. any ideas please 

running  railmaster/elink via laptop running windows 10. Both locos i converted to dcc with hornby decoders r8249's. one a second hand eurostar which i think is an ho, and the hogwart castle also second hand  both usually work ok,ie  stop start,and speed control +forward and reverse.

thanks  John.

Elite or eLink is irrelevant for this given it sounds like DC Runaway where the decoder gets a “bad” DCC signal, interprets it to be DC not DCC and takes off flat out until the DCC supply is removed.

To fix this, turn of DC running in CV29 by subtracting 4 from it’s current value and right the new value to the CV. Default value of the CV is often 6 so if this is the case, write 2 to CV29.  See a full explanation at http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm 

Keeping everything spotlessly clean will also help to ensure a good signal gets to the decoder in the first place. 

I agree with Fishy about it most likely being DC runaway.

I was recently reprogramming my locos to short addresses so I could use the Select Walkabout attached to my Elite more often and I had replaced 4 of these reprogrammed  locos onto the main track.

I had a runaway incident during programming of the next loco.

RM was about half way through reading all CVs on the programming track attached to the Elite, when suddenly 2 of the locos on the main took off like scalded cats, 1 loco switched its lights on and the other started its engine. Upon checking CV29 I realised I had just reset each decoder then gave it the new address. Default setting for CV29 is DC running enabled. I changed each loo back to DC disabled and no problems since.

For all 4 locos to show uncommanded behaviour confirms to me that a bad signal went to the main track during programming, hence probably why others have recommended disconnecting the main during programming.

Rob

In my few instances, the loco on each oval just kept running at the speeds I had set them to.

It was like the system had lost contact with the locos, and only switching off the Elite stopped them.

This, to me, doesn't sound like dc runaway (all my locos have dc running turned off)

Archived