1:72nd Scale Junkers Ju88 A-4

T2B

Thanks for the extra photos. It’s crystal clear that the are two shades of green. That can be seen easily in the close-up of the upper surface. I don’t think the blue effect in the earlier photo was a real one. You don’t have to worry about your photography skills. I am convinced it was just an effect of the lighting.

Well done again. I like the model and I like the finish.

@ DT - Thanks again for your positive comments. Since I started airbrushing about 15 months ago, and learnt a host of new skills I think my overall finish and end result is far better. My modelling skills have probably improved more in the past year or so than they have in the previous decade or 2. I certainly couldn't have attained using such a finish using my old brush painting and dated methods. I've got an old Dornier Do217E which I can clearly see the contrast to different methods!

@ P4T - Yes the raised rivets and panel lines are its heritage from the old tooling days. Although my skills have improved I wouldn't even consider sanding them all off and engraving recessed panel lines as I would make a complete mess. I envy those with those skills! But for an old tool kit I think I have done a reasonable job, but as I mentioned earlier it needs the new tool treatment from Airfix to bring it upto date!!

• 1 month later...

You mentioned the Revell Ju88 - the 'old' kit [1960s?] is quite nice with a 'better' canopy.  

Fairly easy to get hold of too.  Mine has a underside gunner rattling about inside!  These older kits warrant crews being added don't they.

The recent revell modern kit is very nice, interior, good undercarriage, appropriate weapons and nice fit - and the canopy is much better!  But I did find it a task to finish with the number of parts.  An older, simpler kit gives me surprisingly more incentive to finish as they are generally less demanding.  I like modern kits, but enjoy the older ones, inaacuracies, lack of detail and poor fit no disincentive!

Oh I love the new tool kits, but yes some of the old tool kits still have a certain appeal! I have done a few lately while I wait for them to get the new tool treatment (Big Wish List and Lots of Wishful Thinking  😇). And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, with all the new methods and airbrush I'm now using I can obtain a much better result with an old tool kit now than I ever used to!

/media/tinymce_upload/34bd38c27579917806000ffc1db136c8.jpg 

The old tool Dornier Do217E I finished a few years ago brush painted with enamels, compared to my most recent finished build using airbrushing and many other improvements!

/media/tinymce_upload/7519247e5e05488f720064ef73587145.jpg

Good luck with this kit, as it is really showing its age now, and there are much better Ju88 kits on the market. Let's hope that Airfix listen to us and produce a Ju88A-1 to complete their Battle of Britain trio.

I'll second that!   It's criminal that the Ju88A-1 and Sabre F-86 A/5 have been neglected by kit manufacturers.

Yes Tweezers there are still lots of kits that have been neglected and need the Airfix new tool treatment but over recent years I think Airfix have done more than most manufactures to give us new and varied kits! Hopefully they will continue to give us 3 or 4 every year?

And just a little advice if when replying to a post put your text in the white page below the yellow box, it's then easier for us to decern your comment from the earlier post.

• 1 year later...