TRIANG POWER CLIP WORKS WITH HORNBY DCC CONTROLLERS

Forum-1211528

I have a large layout that uses TRI-ANG super 4 track the power clip that connects the controller is a brown one very different to the Hornby black one but you connect a Hornby DCC controller to the Tri-ang poer clip connecting it to super 4 track that all works fine and i expect with super 3 track too so you can use that with dcc but forget Triang locos as all mine are staying dc!!

Paul, just to clarify that for DCC there is no “track DC signal”.  DCC is a square wave at over 10kHz with the data modulated onto it by varying the mark-space ratio. If you analyse this, the capacitor probably leaves the 10kHz largely intact but will certainly degrade the harmonics present in the square wave, and the higher frequencies in the modulated signal. 

The 'Standard' R.487 Tri-ang Super 4 power clip does contain a capacitor!

It is under the raised section across the ends of the sockets for the connecting pins.

I have modified a R.487 to use with DCC, by carefully removing the clip base, which is held on with three small eyelets (rivets).

The capacitor can then be removed, and the base glued back in place...

It is generally thought that a capacitor across the DCC conections is a Bad Idea....

In general, Tri-ang and Hornby Power clips were all fitted with capacitors.

In fact, Tri-ang used to reccommend that, if interference was caused by a layout, extra power clips were fitted (with no wiring). This put more capacitors across the power feed....

There is a capacitor in the Series 3 Power Clip as well.

Also a capacitor in the 'Standard Track' power connecting and uncoupling rail. (And the special suppressor straight track!)

Most of the original plastic R.602 System 6 Power Clips do not have a capacitor fitted, whereas some China made versions DO have a capacitor fitted!

Archived