LMS Duchess

Go_West

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTD

i hope other find or wandering interesting as we travel lifes long highway and touching on things of the past you must remember that the Co op had its own money funny little brass coins which had to be spent back in the shop as it had no value anywhere else 

Rob the brown pay packets were still being used when I was at work and one chap had a 3/16 rod with a slot cut down it the width of a pound note and could slide this into the packet and by rotating the rod could roll the note on the rod and pull it out after a time they stuck a staple into the notes and envelope which stopped this happening.

ken

Back to the Sterling, for a moment. Hunting around for info on 10 Squadron, I found this little gem hidden in a corner  -

Following the end of the war in Europe in 1945, the Squadron spent four years with Transport Command flying Dakotas, first in India and then, after a disbandment between 20 December 1947 and 4 October 1948 (when 238 Squadron was renumbered as No. 10 Squadron), in Europe, taking part in the Berlin Airlift and disbanding on 20 February 1950.

All I found was a list of planes on wika and they listed the Sterling as one 

/media/tinymce_upload/39af86fddb42c7320d9e39224ef32d24.JPG

When Marconi had it it was in better condition than this not sure but a building like this was the works canteen.

a brain cell has just fired up and I remember one hot summer working there we made a bomb tail fin out of some sheet metal and put it in the pond near our building 

Then pointing this out to our manager he said the hot weather was lowering the water level and the bomb was showing now he said I have to send every one home and get the bomb disposal people in. What a great couple of days we had off Work with pay.

They never found out who made the bomb or put it in the pond.

i hope we are not going to get into trouble going off topic?

soon have the last part of the engine.

Ken.

/media/tinymce_upload/be451bc13915e9bfda2ed20e702db0bf.jpg

With the tender removed we can see the crew sitting on there wooden seats having left the long drag behind them and now on a more easier part of the route on the west coast which gives the fireman a break after all the shovelling he has done to get them this far.The driver I will call Bill after one of my relatives as he drove the route years ago he said once at Carlisle his job was done and there was an LMS rest home for a wash and brush up and a bed for the night which he said was some times still warm from the last crew which were starting there shift the fireman i could call Brian after his son.

/media/tinymce_upload/20285c912f16cb829f3b6a126fef01a4.jpg

In this picture you might notice the small winged head lamps

/media/tinymce_upload/3a1de3c4f7725c151e31f3ceee994060.jpg

The engine is finished as 6227 Duchess of Devonshire and the next thing to do is see if it still runs so will fire it up and take some video when I have the video posted I will leave the link here.

Looking at this engine and the assembly of parts to produce the Duchess class engine Hornby could have so easily added this to the live steam range with out an extra tooling as the A4 chassis will go straight into the LMS body with no problems, they have a front bogie and pony truck for this engine so no extra work, even the valve gear and cross heads are a stock item.The tender is the only part requiring new parts but this would only be the brass frames the body and an A4 boiler will fit fine with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments 

i must say this engine is a very free steamer and despite my poor track runs well 

have started the next engine Cock of the North I will not write it up this time as it takes as long to write and photo as it does to build but hope to put up a picture now and again 

enjoy your railways s I do Happy Christmas all

Ken

Great job, Ken, as always. Love your recording of the details and tribulations of the build, you always win through! Lots of wheel spin when accelerating out, and as Rob says, the tea service was taking a bit of a bashing there!

keep up the good work, looking forward to the next build

Rod

When the duchess broke the steam speed record of 114 mph all the china in the restaurant car was smashed to bits I was just trying to see if I could copy the run 

/media/tinymce_upload/b71114f8fc0a97c49cd962701352ac20.JPG

The other thing is I named my engine the Duchess of Devonshire 6227 and just remembered that I had the film on DVD and if you have seen it or remember your history she was a pritty fast woman?

Ken

Archived