Overload

slowshunter

My DCC  Select controller seems to be stuck in OL.I've got a train on the lay-out and I've tried taking the plug out and switching off for 10 seconds but when I switch on again it still shos OL.I suspect I've got a bad track connection but I can't find it. Would my controller work if I took the DCC controlled train off the lay-out and switched on again while that train was off the lay-out?

Try disconnecting the track feed wires from the output of the Select itself to prove whether the fault lies within the Select or in the wiring.  You could also try leaving the power supply to the Select disconnected for a bit longer to see if that has any affect.  I would suggest 30 minutes without power.

AS Roj suggested. Disconnect the track wires, reset the Select, and see if the overload warning clears.

If it does, take EVERYTHING off the tracks, reconnect the track wires, and see.

If still ok, put just the engine (and tender, if it has one) on the track.

If still ok, and the engine works as it should, then put the trucks or coaches back on, one at a time, and see, until the overload triggers - that's the faulty one!

If there is nothing on the track, but the overload triggers, there's a crossed wire somewhere, or a bit of metal debris that shouldn't be there.

There are loads of other fault-finding threads on here, if you look for them.

OK chaps, I've detached the wires that feed the track from the controller and then restarted the controller aaaannnnndddd yes, the controller is still showing OL. Unless anybody has another suggestion I'll take the controller down to my local model shop for the electronic genius there to have a look. I'm just hoping that it is repairable because I dont want to buy a new one. However the controller was part of a Hornby set(Mixed Freight) I bought off Amazon last November so what's the chance of Amazon allowing me to swop controllers?

Anyway, thank you to everybody who have tried to help. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Phil

And run through Page 33 of the Select manual step by step. If you have both a 1-amp and 4-amp power supply try them both as the fault you describe should only be seen with the larger power supply. The lesser supply should initiate a continuous reboot of the Select.

Rob

Archived