TTS Decoders and bachman dynamis

marc_johnson

So about a year ago I purchased a hornby TTS sounds fitted class 67 from rails of Sheffield brand new direct from the ebay website. I went give it 4 digit address and it wouldnt write the address to the decoder.How ever wen I wrote a 2 digit adress it worked fine.Im looking to purchases some more TTS decoder some more of my locos but want to keep the for 4 digit adresss they got programmed already and just wondering if Illbe able to give them 4 digit adresse me as opposed to 2 digit addresses?

The dcc system I use is a standard bachmann dynamis that ive had for about 7 or 8 years.

Sometimes when issues have been observed writing DCC addresses to decoders when the loco is on the programming track (Direct Mode Programming). More success can sometimes be had using (Operate Mode Programming). The Hornby Elite for example supports both of these programming modes in addition to 'Paged Programming Mode'.

I suggest you have a read of your Dynamis manual and investigate what alternative programming modes (to Direct Mode) that the controller supports if any.

Note: Operate Mode is sometimes referred to as 'Programming On the Main (POM)'.

See also this previous post by Hornby Admin

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/hornby-tts-decoders-reported-problems/

I have never understood the need for 4 digit addresses. You can have 99 locos before needing  to go further. The industry accepted default is  2 digit. I presume it’s summat to do with4 figure loco numbers. My locos, go from 01, to 22, and I have list on screen with RailMaster. No doubt, I will have the compulsion of 4 digit numbers explained to me. John

Hi John,

Like you mine are numbered 1 to 20-something, excluding 3. However, some people like to have part of the loco running number as the address. For example, I have a Thompson Class B1 number 61138. Some people might prefer to address it as 1138, as it is easier to remember.

Ray

I use four digit addressing as it is easier to remenber loc numbers when I have not run teh layout for some time.  As my layout is BR blue it is very easy.

Warships are the exception as they only have 3 digits so can be 800, 823 etc.

Westerns are 1000 - 1073

For diesels with 5 digit TOPS numbers I use the first two and last two digits so 37 419 is 3719. etc for 5 digit TOPS starting with zero I use th e4 last digits so 08 411 is 8411.

Hope this helps

4 digit addressing has to be enabled in CV29, further info is in the TTS decoder instructions.....HB

Hi HB

i didnt realise this was the case ill look into on the instructions for my class 67 and then enable the four digit adress programming and then this may work as Ive not tried that before

Thank you 

Marc

Some controllers automatically adjust the values of CV17, 18 and 29 when it detects that you are attempting to configure a four digit address into CV1.....see note further below.

If your Dynamis doesn't do this, then as others have said, you need to set CVs 17, 18 & 29 manually.

HB has given a link for a CV17 & 18 online calculator. But to complete the configuration you will probably find this online CV29 calculator useful too.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

To use the CV29 calculator, read your current value of CV29 on your decoder (it is likely to be 6, but cannot be assumed to be the case). Enter the CV29 value into the CV29 Value (Back Calc) row (bottom row). Clicking the 'Back Calc' button will populate the options that have been configured. If not already ticked, tick the Bit 5 (Long Loco Address) row. This will give a new CV29 value to write to the decoder.

You might find this alternative online CV17 & 18 calculator a little bit more user friendly:

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=DCC-long-address-calculator

With CV29 Bit 5 set as per previous description, enter the long (four digit) address you want in this calculator. The calculator will tell you the values to write to CV17 & CV18 to set that address.

Note: In essence the four digit address is held in CV17 & CV18 rather than CV1 which holds the two digit addresses. Whilst Bit 5 (32) in CV29 tells the decoder to use CV17 & 18 rather than CV1. Thus all three CVs have to be correct for four digit addressing to work.

That's the point, John, those that use 4 digit don't need to remember the nos........they read the number off the loco they wish to motivate..........I have only 40 locos and can remember most addresses but have a picture list anyway to refer to........HB

Back on manual v auto 4-digit address programming, it seems to me that Marc is telling us he is already programming 4-digit addresses with his Dynamis but his method doesn’t work for TTS decoders. 

So I think the question is why won’t it work for TTS?  It’s not a matter of how to do it in general with the Dynamis, he knows how for other decoders.

So I think the question is why won’t it work for TTS?

Which was the tack I took with my very first reply on page 1 of this thread. I suppose it is also possible that the manual approach might overcome what is preventing his Dynamis from doing it automatically.

Archived