Getting hold of X7125 tyres

Guest Chrissaf

This is the incorrect section for this question. Somebody will move it eventually.

The wheels with grooves are the ones that have tyres. Is the loco tender drive?

The rubber tyres on my Hornby Gordon the engine’s tender seem to be missing. How many are there supposed to be and on which wheels? Horbby quote part no X7125 but don’t stock it –do you know who does or sells compatibles.Thanks

Scroll well down this page which lists sizes...

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares_wheels_and_tyres.htm

Measure up your wheel grooves using a vernier caliper, taking ID, OD and width for comparison, then buy same size tyres from another model.

See also this thread ...

https://www.hornby.com/us-en/forum/r9290-james-the-red-engine-traction-tyres/?p=1

Which begs the question are we talking about Gordon or James ?

Rob

I think it is unlikely that the traction tyres in packs X7125 and X8030 are similar.  As the latest Gordon has a can motor tender drive, the tyres are probably thinner in width and depth (viz X9721/2) than their rather chunky UK predecessors although I do not have the ability to compare the two physically.  Whilst it is not unknown for Hornby to issue a new part number for a reissued but unchanged component, I imagine the new number in this case does indicate a new specification.

GS

I couldn't resist in coming back, as one off, just to clear up some things, on this topic.

Both versions of Gordon (R383 and R9291) are tender driven. R383 Gordon has a ringfield motor and R9291 Gordon has a can motor.

Both are also the smae length. Other differences is cosmetics (Meaning faces and colours). Also, R9291 Gordon is DCC Ready and R383 Gordon is not.

R9291 Gordon also has traction tyres, but I am unsure of the type. 

R383 and R9291 Gordon's are the same length and height.

R9289 Edward, R9290 James and R9291 Gordon all have the same tender's, with the same motors. Each one shares the same service sheet.

I think I've covered everything.

GNR-Gordon-4

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone found out how to get X7125 traction tryes for James???  A bit of a joke that these are a part that wears out regularly on a relatively new model (I realise that it is now discontinued) but you cannot get a replacement for love nor money!!!  It's a bit ridiculous really.

If you can accurately measure up the X7125 tyres then go to Peters Spares and simply search from the main page for Tyres.

You will get three pages of tyres of various makes listed, many of which are fully dimensioned and you may be able to make a match with some other makes of tyres. Notable is that Peters Spares is producing more and more parts under their own PS spares numbers.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input guys.  I ended getting X8030 from an Ebay seller where it listed them as compatible with James, seller called tracksidecars.

JAMES DOES NOT RUN WITH THESE TYRES FITTED. Unless I am doing something very wrong.

Not shouting just want to make that clear!  I called Hornby who said that X8030 was the correct tyres for James...and suggested that they must be fake if they did not fit.  Well, they do fit but the loco (tender) will not run.  They suggested I call Peter's Spares which I will do Monday and report back.  I'm suprised there is not more of a hoohah about this as there are gazillions of James/Edward/Gordon locos and no spare traction tyres???  Seem preposterous!  Whydo Hornby not just make the X7125 available?  They locos were only discontinued a few months back but this seems to have been a problem for ages.

As per my previous post, X8030 traction tyres are suitable only for UK- and early China-made tender drives with Ringfield motors.  Later Chinese tender drives will not accept these 'chunky' tyres, hence X7125 tyres being produced, which have a smaller profile.  In the absence of pack X7125, try pack X9722 if it is available.

GS 

Okay...

So, it is evident that the tender's of James R9290, Edward R9232 and Gordon R9291 have the same wheel set X7120 so will also have this same problem.

X8030 do not work on these trains, that is established

X9722 are have not been unavailable for a long time, even if they do fit.

Peter's Spares are on the case, lovely chap Martin is racking his brains to find a solution.  I gave him measurements and he mentioned X8439 which fits an A3/A4 Ringfield motor...or something you guys might understand better, presumable the same motor/wheel set up.  Any he is going to get back to me.

I could do another rant...unbelievably upset that I cannot run a loco I spent good money on and also will have same problem with two other new engines in due course, just because Hornby cannot be bothered to produce a tiny part which wears very quickly.

I really hope we can bring this topic to a conclusion so future users will not have to have the headache!

I will get back to you...