14XX (R2381) Traction Tyres

derek_dawson

Are they narrower than the Hornby version?

I was thinking about a friend's Airfix 0-4-2T where the slots /recesses in the wheels aren't as wide as Hornby's locomotive.

Well, they seem a good fit in the grooves on my engine's wheels. I don't have any new Hornby ones to compare the Marklin ones with. The diamater of the new ones seemed small, but they stretched to fit. Acording to the description I saw they are supposed to be for 20-22mm wheels.The old Hornby traction tyres were perished, hardened and broken so not really able to compare. I can't comment on the Airfix model. However, as they are made from a stretchy/flexible material I imagine they may adapt a bit to different dimensions?

I have just restored a Hornby 14xx that I bought off eBay a few months ago. the traction tyres had perished luckily I had some in my spares box these were the last pair I had. 

I can't see why Hornby are not making them any more as they have released the

R3692 14xx  in the railroad range again this year only came out a few months ago. 

will have to hope the tyres on my two models last a long time if they're not going to be available spare parts. maybe Peters spares well have some replacements made like they have for some older lima models.

A bit expensive, initially, but are the 14XX wheels for the latest models compatible with these older models?

Do they have tyres?

Could replace the wheels and get a small stock - keep out of sunshine and sealed - of spare tyres - if the loco is 'a keeper'.

Al.

The phrase "We're sorry, the website has sold out of this item and we're not expecting any more stock." doesn’t necessarily mean the tyres won’t appear again. This has appeared before and the item has reappeared. I reckon "we don’t know when any more will be in stock" would be better. Fingers crossed.

According to Hornby Technical Support no spare tyres are expected to be produced. Peters Spares told me they would need to produce a minimum run of 5,000 but were unable to do so because the 14xx is a current model and would break license agreements. Perhaps Hornby need to be more clear on the future situation regarding this particular spares item.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can any good soul compile and post a list of locos that have traction tyres ?  Then such 'orrid beasts could be avoided or at least the purchaser would be forewarned of possible problems. The presence of traction tyres is not usually listed in loco specs.  Or am I wrong ?

Me too!