Hornby Dublo sound

James Kirk1707819258

Most of my locos are 2 rail Hornby Dublo with some later Hornby. In fact it was my intention to collect at least one of each of Hornby Dublo locos and rolling stock.

I never caught the DCC bug but I do appreciate that the sound makes a great difference to operating a layout.

I am now retired and do not have loads of money to spend now, but I have considered buying some Lenz loco decoders but as I understand it the basic loco decoder does not produce sound, but control only. Hornby appear to sell the TTS sound decoders for various locos, but my HD locos draw 600 – 750ma even after remagnetising -too much for the Hornby TTS. I take it I would have to purchase these as well and piggy back them to the control decoder? If so does it have to be a Hornby control decoder or can the TSS sound be fitted with any other decoder.

I have also seen some American model rail forums where sound decoders are available to operate off the original 2 rail DC controlled layout this may be my preferred route – are there any UK suppliers of DC (analogue) sound decoders?

However I would bring your attention to this highlighted sentence on that web-link page:

/media/tinymce_upload/0c12a02fdee1430c368e159f9deaf5c6.jpg

You only get the running sound.....that is 'steam chuff' or 'diesel engine running'. So that means that you wouldn't be able to hear any of the 'spot sounds' like whistles and horns etc. And it would appear that you need to change some digital CVs to get it working. So that kinda puts you in a catch 22 situation. You need a DCC Controller to change the CVs, but you want to run it on DC because you haven't got a DCC Controller.

There are totally separate battery operated sound modules that operate on a 'motion detection' basis. And a lot cheaper than a full blown DCC Sound decoder. See this website:

http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/sound/sfx-sound-capsules

PS - You cannot use the cheaper TTS sound decoders on DC, DC on TTS is not supported. This is actually stated on the TTS data-sheets.

James, hi, MTH locos run on DC, and give a range of sounds including Cab Chatter. These run on DCS, DCC, and DC. I am not suggesting you buy the locos, as they are extremely expensive, speaking from personal experience, having received 2 from the states  via my son. The point i am making, is you can buy the decoders. You would need, i belive to contact MTH, via their website, to see the specs these require, and if they would fit your locos. If so, you could then enjoy the sounds, as i do, both on DC, for now, and DCC, in the future. Might be worth a little research.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your replies.

I am old school philosophy and I believe the layout operator should be the train driver, the signalman, and shunter, so I will be keeping the layout mimic switch panel. I certainly would not go down the road of a fully controlled DCC layout including point signals and automated train control, so I would not spend excessive amounts on top of the market DCC components.

I may pursue the DC sound option, but if DCC did improve the HD loco performance as well it may be worth pursuing.

I might try it on one of the HD locos on a test track using a Hornby TTS and a budget Hornby DCC controller before I commit to wholesale expenditure on the layout.

You do not have to buy these 'very expensive' Amercan loco's.

If they ARE so costly, why not bite the bullet and go for DCC.

You do not have to go fully automated and computer control. You can keep your mimic panel for signals and points, and still work them with probe and stud, or whatever.

You say that you 'want to drive the train' - but with analogue you don't, you drive the track! With DCC you drive the locomotive (several at once, if you wish!) without running back and to selecting block sectors, and messng about with isolated sections.

very expensive american locos, Eric ?. Like for like, they out function, out perform, anything in uk. Fleischmann, Marklin, Rivarossi and Trix, all about the same price.  I agree, they are more expensive then TTS hornby, but .  Uk prices, are catching up.

It just occurred to me that if you wanted to ‘piggy back’ a TTS sound decoder onto a more current capable motor decoder then unless TTS can sense the bemf from the motor the increasing chuff vs coast sequence will not work correctly.

Doing this with diesels is fine as they do not need bemf sensing to work correctly.

Rob

You might also find that the two motor-drive outputs would conflict - rather like putting two DCC contrllers together on the same track!

-

@ Yelrow - although it may not be obvious, (my error) I was quotng from an earlier post in this thread. I haven't looked up the prices.

The 'NEW' streamlined Duchess is a little bit short of £200 - (I think I saw £175) silly money. Add a DCC decoder - - - - - .

James,

I started out with DC but the thought of all that wiring for isolating sections bothered me as it would take ages to install and would cost quite a bit as my layout is 4m x 4m.  I decided to go DCC and first had a Hornby Select and then an Elite.  I found the programing and use of these controllers non-intuitive and so sold them and traded up to the NCE Power Cab which I love.

The benefits of DCC over DC are that you can control a loco anywhere on the layout just by using simple button commands on the handset.  On my layout I have kept turnout control analogue using a stand alone transformer for the power supply and mimic panels for the point layouts.  I find this works very well.

Which DCC loco decoder?  I have tried Hornby, Bachmann, Gaugemaster and DCC Concepts and am now standardisong on Lenz STandard 8 pin and Lenz Silver + 21 pin for non sound locos.  I find thier motor control is superior. For sound locos my preference is ESU Loksound with Legomanbiffo diesel sounds.  Having said that I have a Bachmann class 37 DCC with factory fitted sound and am experimenting with a Hornby Class 67 with TTS sound but that won't be availabe until 25th.

I hope this helps.

Further to Eric’s and the suggestion you might connect both decoder motor drives to the single motor - the chances tha5 this would be feasible are remote.  Remember that the motor output is PWM and, even if the decoder throttles sync to the same speed step, there is no way of syncing the PWM pulses, meaning the outputs will be periodically out of phase so each will be continually presenting the other with pulsed short circuits.

I just stepped into DCC my layout is now wired for both just a matter of changing plugs. As for the driving experience my newer locos are far more controllable with prototypical acceleration and braking not to mention sound. I still keep my point control on the mimic board. I like to think it's the best of both worlds. Total cost to date £228 that's for the z21 dcc system and two tts sound chips.

Archived