Setting up non Hornby loco on rail master

GWR 77

How do you set up a non Hornby loco on rail master

I have just been trying to set a bachmann dukedog and obviously this is not in the list of locomotive.  I understand that when you choose a loco in rail master it takes into account the characteristics of the locomotives motor.  How do you do this for a bachmann loco?

If Hornby have introduced there Train detection module you could map the locomotive characteristics!

Loco detection has nothing to do with ID’ing a loco down to that level. It will know the loco address, speed and direction as it passes a sensor.

To ’map’ a generic other make loco try the double arrow button at the bottom of the loco function list. This cycles through Hornby steam and diesel to Bachmann steam and diesel. Once you have the basics populated amend them to suit your specific loco manually as usual.

Rob

I've  never seen an answer to this issue.

This has has been covered before on the forums...

The same old excuse, not Hornby's problem, and not Bachmann's problem.

Hornby makes great efforts to incorporate support for other makes kit into RM e.g. very many loco and accessory decoders and the Baccy sound loco generic profiles....

Rob

Pretty pathetic really isn’t it Rob?  You would think all you’d have to do is put all your locos Hornby and non-Hornby on the track, start up RM and it would check what’s there, what decoders they have in them (from the extensive range of Hornby and non-Hornby decoders it recognizes), check to see if they are in the RM roster or not, put them there if they aren’t, program them all to appropriate IDs, label all of their functions and intuit the correct shunt and cruise speeds for them.  This doing it all manually is for the birds!

Or in the absence of Hornby having completed this feature, maybe someone like Ray could write a program to do it all?

PS.  Rob, good summary of the features that are already in RM.

Pretty pathetic really isn’t it Rob?  You would think all you’d have to do is put all your locos Hornby and non-Hornby on the track, start up RM and it would check what’s there, what decoders they have in them (from the extensive range of Hornby and non-Hornby decoders it recognizes), check to see if they are in the RM roster or not, put them there if they aren’t, program them all to appropriate IDs, label all of their functions and intuit the correct shunt and cruise speeds for them.  This doing it all manually is for the birds! 

Or in the absence of Hornby having completed this feature, maybe someone like Ray could write a program to do it all? 

PS.  Rob, good summary of the features that are already in RM.

I blames it all on Brexit Fishy.

I've  never seen an answer to this issue.

This has has been covered before on the forums...

The same old excuse, not Hornby's problem, and not Bachmann's problem.

Hornby makes great efforts to incorporate support for other makes kit into RM e.g. very many loco and accessory decoders and the Baccy sound loco generic profiles....

Rob

I've been following this forum for many years and don't recall an answer to setting up Bachmann locos.

If RM support Bachmann locos please enlighten me.

I generally get the view that you can't expect RM to cover Bachmann.

It is not full Bachmann loco support in the way that you might be anticipating by previous comments.

There are two default choice options inbuilt within RM for Bachmann sound equipped locos. All it does is populate the RM function list with one or other set of sound function labels based upon typical Bachmann sound function assignments. Any function button labels that then do not match your particular loco then have to be manually edited. It is not a full database list of Bachmann locos in the same way that Hornby do it.

You use the double arrow button highlighted in yellow to cycle through the four sound loco options which are:

Hornby 1, Hornby 2, Bachmann 1 & Bachmann 2 (not necessarily in that order)

/media/tinymce_upload/d7c761e548f1f6b2e6da68ea24fd74ea.jpg

See also RM manual page 42 for details. From that section of the manual, you can also read that if LD (Loco Detection) was available [which it isn't yet] then you could use it to auto profile non Hornby locos such as Bachmann. But even without LD, the manual gives instructions for doing the profiling manually. I did try manually profiling one of my own Bachmann's but did not have much success with it. I found that my Bachmann loco ran more effectively on standard default RM settings, and trying to profile it just made the running worse

PS - As I understand it, using the LD kit (obviously a pre-production development version) is exactly how HRMS profile the Hornby locos before adding them to the RM database. This is why there is sometimes a delay for the loco appearing in the Hornby database, as HRMS have to be given a production model of each loco by Hornby when they are released to do this profiling on [i remember many moons ago, HRMS making a comment confirming this when answering a question about delays for a loco appearing in the RM database].

More often than not, most of these little hidden features are documented in the manual if you read it enough times.

Thats sort of what I said - the double arrow thingy to find a generic Baccy sound set.

Searched in content for Bachmann sound and got a lot of hits includng this one from May this year, scroll down to my posts where I talk about double curly arrows...

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/loksound-in-a1-with-rm-help-needed/#post-338607

Rob

It is a within RM application upgrade. Go into the RM 'Help Screen' to fill in an online upgrade purchase form. Once your card payment has gone through, you should recieve an email with the ProPack unlock key. You enter the key in the 'System Settings' screen via the 'Loco Detection' tab.

Do keep the key code very safe and make a note of the mail account you used to recieve it. If you ever have to deactivate the main RM key (say to transfer RM onto a new PC), you will need to 'deactivate' the ProPack key as well as a separate action. Thus there will be two keys to deactivate, the ProPack key followed by the main RM key.

Archived