Worst Schemes to paint?

Hawkerhurricaneguy

My modelling nemesis seems to be Luftwaffe mottling. Can’t seem to get the hang of it. Been using an airbrush for a couple of years now and get good results when I build RAF or USAAF subjects but I’ve binned a couple of BF 109’s trying to paint them. When I finally build a 109 where the mottling looks good, the champagne will flow! Oh well, as long time contributor to the forum, John the Pom says “we do this for fun”. Cheers, Stuart.

My modelling nemesis seems to be Luftwaffe mottling. Can’t seem to get the hang of it. Been using an airbrush for a couple of years now and get good results when I build RAF or USAAF subjects but I’ve binned a couple of BF 109’s trying to paint them. When I finally build a 109 where the mottling looks good, the champagne will flow! Oh well, as long time contributor to the forum, John the Pom says “we do this for fun”. Cheers, Stuart.

ive never attempted to do Luftwaffe mottling, when i do i may get a mask for it or a super fine airbrush; i need to get a super fine airbrush anyway as im planning on doing a scheme like this for a ICM Ju-88a-4/Torp/media/tinymce_upload/f1aec2a5cb9acc4817f59a271a8045a0.jpg

The inital green will be easy to do but the RLM 65 will be intresting to do

Many, many years ago, as a teenager, attempting German WW1 lozenge patterns - basically ended up as random blobs of the colours.     All done as decals, now, although I suspect forming them around fuselages etc will be just as bad.

More recently, before I got an airbrush (and before I discovered proper thinning), trying to get a consistent coat of any colour with a hairy stick

Ive never attempted to do Luftwaffe mottling, when i do i may get a mask for it or a super fine airbrush; i need to get a super fine airbrush anyway as im planning on doing a scheme like this for a ICM Ju-88a-4/Torp/media/tinymce_upload/f1aec2a5cb9acc4817f59a271a8045a0.jpg

The inital green will be easy to do but the RLM 65 will be intresting to do

Now that would just do my head in!

Lozenge camo..... without a doubt !

/media/tinymce_upload/a5f439d6c3258774c5c5fad809d73751.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5da16d823df4534dcce07654f637c2c2.jpg

That's why lozenge pattern decals were invented ....

Real lozenge camouflage was printed onto the fabric covering so decals are more representative than painting on the pattern as well.

Or the Italian WW 2 fighter schemes give me the hee-bee's.

Maybe an easier way to do WW 1 losenge patterns is to make some decals in a drawing program. It's a lot easier than painting, and I can get a whole A4 sheet printed for less than 20P ( R. 10) plus the cost of decal paper. the joy is that once you have th basic losenge pattern you can easily change the colours for upper and lower surfaces and or 4 and 5 colour patterns. Just remember to get the printer to set the colour to maximium.

Remember we do this for fun                             John the Pom

My latest attempt at a mottled camo, which can be seen on my recent Gustav build!

/media/tinymce_upload/b6dda3cc2fc4c51e9d0ed0cf2a7458a2.jpg

Its kind of what I was intending. But was discovered by chance when I realised the tip of my airbrush needle was worn/damaged and at lower pressure was spitting out lol! It has now been replaced with a new item but I have saved the old 1 for any future effects if needed  😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

..... i can recall that my attempt at painting an Airfix Me262 uppers Eau de Nil (Dulux as I recall) back in the 1960s was highly regarded by 'me mates'.  I'm pretty sure I used one of the brushes left in the jam-pot after household decorating.  Painted 'around' the 'transfers' too as i recall. 

..... Luftwaffe mottles were done using a cut down paint brush using a method called 'stippling' if I remember rightly - Airfix M2 (dark grey) being most commonly used as I recall. 

'Worst' finishes were the Saturn 1b and Saturn V rockets featuring black panels on white.  The plastic was already white, but the Airfix Gloss Black (n a triangular bottle if I recall rightly) was applied before the concept of masking had entered my realm.  And the runs down the sides complemented the thick splodges in those areas it was meant to be.  Won second prize in my (infant) school class for the Saturn Ib!  And yes, to have had a go at painting was far, far better than not and finishes were greatly admired however awful we might think of them today!  

I also recall using washing up liquid to clean my brushes, never 'branded' thinners.  White spirit when modelling coincided with household decorating!  Never thinned paint - to stir was rare too.  One or two vigorous shakes would suffice.

Alway found white difficult, still do!  But success through use of properly mixed paint, thinned, and applied over an undercoat of matt white similarly prepared using a clean 'chisel edged' brush being the key to any success achieved!  Thin, multiple coats over an apt matt undercoat always the best way forward for me, a dedicated user of the hairy brush!

Hannatnts (and others) sell reusable metal spray masks to make it easy(er) to do most kinds of Luftwaffe mottling type cammo.  

I've also never had a probelm with spraying Vallejo yellow over white undercoat - or XF-3 over white come to that.  Lots of thin coats and build up the colour gradually.