DCC Concepts DCD-ADS-8SX

Gbh4

Does anyone know where one of these might be in stock?

I've had it pre-ordered at Hattons for ages, but no chance of getting it from them before Christmas now, which kind of messes up my plans to show off the layout to family!

I missed out on one on eBay yesterday, but now looking for any in stock anywhere!

Thanks.

Check out the DCC Concepts DCD-ADS-8FX as an alternative 8 port Accessory Decoder for Solenoid point motors. My understanding is that the FX model replaces the SX model. I think that is why you are finding the SX model 'out of stock' in most places. In other words, the SX only available whilst stocks last and will be made obsolete in favour of the FX once SX stock is exhausted. I maybe wrong, but that is my understanding of the current SX situation.

/media/tinymce_upload/19d45df1b05a70746718d7f026bee4ae.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/3e8513d4f0c520c73c199467c3b9317d.jpg

I was fairly certain that one replaced the other.....but was not 100% sure as to which one replaced which. Hence my "I maybe wrong" comment. A call by GBH4 to DCC Concepts would confirm the correct information.

In hindsight, I took the 'out of stock' to be an indicator that the SX was the old model. Looks like that might have been flawed logic if your understanding is the correct one, and that it is 'out of stock' due to high order demand instead.

If the FX is indeed the previous model, then it could still be viable to use as a 'short term' emergency stock alternative, even with the 'short comings' you have highlighted.

The SX is definitely the newer model.

I've had so many issues with the 8FX and the 2FX, which only recently on their move to the UK has DCCconcepts acknowledged that they had a problem.

Their previous position was to blame the user for any shortcomings.

The SX is a far superior product with a capacitor discharge button and a full body cover to the electronics.

In no circumstances would I waste money on the FX.

Hi the ADS8SX replaces the ADS8FX, I have a few of each on my layout I had a channel go down on one of my ADS2SX and contacted Dcc Concepts, they said they would send out a new one to replace the faulty channel but said they were still in production and it would be 6 to 8 weeks that was back in the middle of november maybe thats why they are out of stock at the moment

Paul...

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add to this.I've finished my layout and somehow have finished up with 9 points, which is typical me.

So as the ADS-8SX can only take 8, is there a really cheap single decoder for one more point motor?

Gbh, I don’t get the reluctance to start a new topic. Here you’ve added to a topic discussing merits and availability of the 8FX and 8SX and your question is not about either.

If you started a topic titled What Single Port Accessory Decoders are Available, don’t you think you may be more likely to get the answer?

I have the ASD-8FX and in the first month, one of the 8 decoders had blown. ISo now I have a 7 function accessory decoder. They were quite good about it and sent me a 2 function model so I now have 9.

It does seem like they are ultra sensitive, and the exposure of all the electronics goes against everything I have learned in 20 years of supporting IT and networks... Glad they have improved the new model by the sound of it.

As an update. An airfreighted batch of the 8SX is expected towards the end of this month. This is coming from China, who have just started a two week celebration for their New Year. This will then need distribution to retailers and matching against pre-order lists etc. etc. etc.

A sea freight consigment will follow - when that will get here is anyone's guess.

This from DCC Concepts Yorkshire outpost.

R-

Explain please.

Rob

The ADS 8FX physically differs from the ADS 8SX model in that the main electronic components on the FX board are uncovered and exposed. Normally not a big issue for most low voltage electronic devices, but DCC Concepts found that the exposed electronics seemed to be more prone to a higher level of failure. Possibly caused by charges retained on the CDU capacitors or static induced. The later SX module, covers the exposed electronics. The issues with the FX exposed component design is well documented both on the net and on the DCC Concepts site. See comparison images below.

ADS-2FX                                          ADS-2SX

/media/tinymce_upload/24e44eecbfb012ac677a1a80b5e8285e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/4426aefe707730659effb8655ceb45b6.jpg

Thanks for the replies and the help.

@Fishmanoz yes, I could have started a new topic, but it is related to this one, as RogerB has sort of answered.

@RogerB my 8SX is only controlling point motors, it's not doing anything else. I take it if I wired two point motors to one port they would activate at the same time, so I obviously can't have 9 motors switching independently without getting the 2way that Chris suggested above.

The 8SX is designed solely to operate points. The issue with a crossover (one road connecting to another) is that you will always want both points to switch at the same time.

If you DO NOT use the frog polarity switching facility of the 8SX that is fine and a good use of one decoder port. You do not need to have each point motor on its own port as the 8SX is capable of firing two simultaneously. You will not need any further decoders.

If you ARE using the frog polarity switching of the 8SX (or any other board) you CANNOT use just one port as you will be asking the decoder to switch two polarities to the two opposite polarities simultaneously and you will achieve a dead short. So, if you want to use the frog polarity switching facility of these boards you will need another one.

This screen grab from the manual may help.

R-

/media/tinymce_upload/27f889bd31335a0ce5b2b448dd980500.png

Smartrains

...Exposure of all the electronics...

Explain please.

Rob

As in, it is an exposed circuit board making it succeptible to shorts from loose wires, metal, etc. The new version now appears to be enclosed in a proper case.

Yes - as illustrated by Chris earlier. I have had an ‘exposed’ GM CDU on my layout for donkey’s years and never shorted it with stray wires or tools, etc. Maybe because I try to run a tidy bench.

Thanks RogerB, that’s very helpful information. For some reason I’d not even considered two points together would need to operate at the same time. That makes obvious sense now that I think about it and means I won’t need to get another decoder.

One issue though, it says to use 32 x .2 cable which I’ve got,  but I’m finding the wire connection points on the 8SX to be so tiny it’s hard getting the cable in. I can’t imagine the difficulty of trying to get two of these cables into one point!

Archived