Antique Catalina kit - 05007 (am I mad??)

Aussie Jeff

Thanks for the info Paws - I think I need a book on 'Anatomy of Aircraft' to help with my terminology.  😆

That Catalina is now finished.  I ended up using the original decals given that my handywork was somewhat rough in places and reorted to weathering in an attempt to cover it up.  I did some more weathering on the wing centre section simulating stains from the engine exhausts and as an overall look with the fuselage it looks reasonably convincing from a distance. I'm happy with it anyway - isn't that the point?

I wouldn't mind having another go at one of these if there was a newer tooling available (not sure if there is) or maybe check out another brand (Academy?).

Anyway, here's some staged pics - I sent some of these pics to my wife who was away on business and she thought one of the low shots was a real Catalina that I included for her to compare! She was viewing it on a phone but I'm not sure it iss THAT convincing!!

/media/tinymce_upload/40e310fc66d15bdd806481df62cd58c8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/c01ab31c0b3e0d706d53b5e5899d38b0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d1463bb540f6181ba71a91559649945a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e7e21de98dfbfe09b63a41a3cfe84076.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/abbc2a9932bd040b3d9dd3342ec7206f.jpg

What to build next?

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the info Paws - I think I need a book on 'Anatomy of Aircraft' to help with my terminology.  😆

That Catalina is now finished.  I ended up using the original decals given that my handywork was somewhat rough in places and reorted to weathering in an attempt to cover it up.  I did some more weathering on the wing centre section simulating stains from the engine exhausts and as an overall look with the fuselage it looks reasonably convincing from a distance. I'm happy with it anyway - isn't that the point?

I wouldn't mind having another go at one of these if there was a newer tooling available (not sure if there is) or maybe check out another brand (Academy?).

Anyway, here's some staged pics - I sent some of these pics to my wife who was away on business and she thought one of the low shots was a real Catalina that I included for her to compare! She was viewing it on a phone but I'm not sure it iss THAT convincing!!

/media/tinymce_upload/40e310fc66d15bdd806481df62cd58c8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/c01ab31c0b3e0d706d53b5e5899d38b0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d1463bb540f6181ba71a91559649945a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e7e21de98dfbfe09b63a41a3cfe84076.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/abbc2a9932bd040b3d9dd3342ec7206f.jpg

What to build next?

Did you use the 102 and 32 humbrol paints for the camouflage on the top of the wings? I have recently got this kit and I'd love the camoflauge to be as good as yours!

Well, the Airfix Sunderland is similar vintage, also Coastal Command, and includes beaching gear.

I've just bought one 35 years after I first made it.... It's ok too. Not nearly as many parts as a new tool but crisp mouldings still.

Jeff: awesome job!!! I did the academy black cat in CC colours and yours is far better. I like to weather and white is a brilliant colour to totally c**k up and overdo it. BTW you can get 0.2mm brass wire on eBay which is superb for rigging and serial wires. Superglue gel fixes it neatly

ps when I do coastal command models i normally use model air dark slate grey and extra dark ocean grey. Both are very dark colours. Your final shades are lighter but I like the fact the difference between the 2 colours are obvious. Perfectly plausible weather fading too

What colours did you use for the camo on the top of the Catalina? did you use the recommended 102 and 32 humbrol pattern colours or did you use different colours? I really want my camoflauge to be like yours! :)

Hi DriftyWings,

I've been off-line for some time, probably 5 months or more, due to the horrible bushfires we are having here on the east coast of Australia and also moving house (actually moved just as the fires were easing in the north-east where we were and building up in the south-east where we have moved to).  I haven't breathed 'clean' air since last August!

Anyway, in reply to your question (and thanks for the compliment) I just used the colours in the instructions for the camo - in this case Humbrol 27 (Medium Grey) and Humbrol 117 (Dull Green). Luckily I had both of these colours from 'starter kits' previously purchased, so they were those little plastic pots of Humbrol acrylic. I had only been back into the hobby for about 3-4 months when I tackled this so I wan't too adventurous. 

We have nearly settled back into a normal outine now and I've set up my new modelling space so should be making more posts soon.  Good luck with your 'Cat'.

Jeff: awesome job!!! I did the academy black cat in CC colours and yours is far better. I like to weather and white is a brilliant colour to totally c**k up and overdo it. BTW you can get 0.2mm brass wire on eBay which is superb for rigging and serial wires. Superglue gel fixes it neatly

ps when I do coastal command models i normally use model air dark slate grey and extra dark ocean grey. Both are very dark colours. Your final shades are lighter but I like the fact the difference between the 2 colours are obvious. Perfectly plausible weather fading too

Thanks Peter s, when I unpacked this after moving I was still quite chuffed with the result - it didn't suffer any damage (unlike some) and the weathering looks better each time I look at it.  As per my previous comment the colours were as per instructions (Hu27 & Hu117).

• 4 weeks later...

Great job on that! So I really hate to tell you this, but...  ☹️

That wing is naff. The rear portion of the wing should not have rivets, as it was fabric. Too late to make it accurate now, but if you make another one it's something to watch for. Sorry I didn't check in on this thread earlier. But it does look very nice!

Great job on that! So I really hate to tell you this, but...  ☹️

That wing is naff. The rear portion of the wing should not have rivets, as it was fabric. Too late to make it accurate now, but if you make another one it's something to watch for. Sorry I didn't check in on this thread earlier. But it does look very nice!

This was one of my first builds in over 45 years and my Catalina knowledge is very limited anyway. It was an old kit I got off EBay and was a bit of a pig to build. I do now have an Academy 'Black Cat' in the stash that I'll get around to one day - maybe the wing will be a better representation on that one. Cheers.