00 Gauge Cricket Pitch

Reedy10006

My boss has a pitch on his oo layout. Though to be honest it’s more a village green type as opposed to a county ground. I have some photos of his layout on my phone as was quite impressed. I’ll ask him if I can post one so you can get the idea of what he did. Otherwise I’ll ask him where he got the models and how he came up with his dimensions of you like? Though knowing him it was probably made up.

You don't have to make it exactly to scale.  On our school layout the pitch is only 180mm (scale 45 ft, or 15 yards, rather than 22 as it should be) but it doesn't look particularly short.  I guess that's because most of us view a cricket pitch on TV from the camera's eye view behind the bowlers arm, where it appears very foreshortened.  Our whole ground is about 500mm in diameter (about 41 yards, and looks a bit on the small side - ideally if it was 3 times the length of the pitch it would look better.  I don't have a photo to hand of the whole pitch at present, but here's a view of "Right arm, over the wicket, from the Pavilion End:

/media/tinymce_upload/8412b565b370ee08bdcd5609913af8e2.jpg

That looks good but Doc. Bet they lose a few balls in the turntable. 

Yes , and it's the only ground I know of where the umpires complain of the movement behind the bowler's arm because Flying Scotsman being turned.  Which reminds me, I've go a sight screen made of wooden coffee stirrers somewhere.

• 3 years later...

GREAT thanks for asking it for me. Yes so my 4th 3rd radius return loop leaves an empty circle perfect for this as seen on the back page of the peco catalouge 2018? Anyways you have all answered well I was just seeing some advice on the static grass for the pitch and or making it look mowed with the lines like the real ones. It’s a small country club like the dads army episode NOT LORDS OR THE MCG but want to try and add some depth. I will mould the traditional mound around the edge for spectators to have a picnic and enjoy the view. All advice on static grass and how to do the pitch warmly received.

OPOAT

TV cameras will also use telephoto lenses which work by shortening the distance so objects one behind another will look closer together.

Another way of compressing the scene might be to use HO figures and dimensions. At 3.5mm/foot as opposed to OO's 4mm the pitch would be 7/8 of the size of the OO pitch.

If placed away from most OO items it shouldn't look to bad.