Select digital controller

robert_findlay

The R8247 brand new out of the box comes with a DCC power track clip and couple of short wires. Hornby's original intention as documented in their manuals is that the Select connects to the track using the DCC track clip and then the R8247's also connect to the track using their DCC track clips. Thus the track acts as a DCC Bus to connect multiple R8247 Accessory decoders together.

See the drawing below that describes this physical connectivity:

/media/tinymce_upload/6a5da5d592bf56e1f85d65ea687462c2.jpg

Now this is fine in principle, but the track clips can be unreliable, so in my personal view it is better to connect the R8247's directly to the Select to track power connection wires via screw-down terminal blocks in a wired T configuration.

OK regardless of the physical wiring connectivity details, the end result will be that multiple R8247 Accessory Decoders, plus the track will all be in essence wired in parallel to the output of the Select controller.

The R8247 Accessory Decoder 'out of the box' will have the four ports configured with addresses 1, 2, 3 & 4. This addressing scheme is not compatible with the Select. The Select requires the R8247 port addresses to start at 61.

So in the drawing above, the R8247 Number 1 needs to be configured with addresses 61, 62, 63 & 64 whilst R8247 Number 2 needs to be configured with addresses 65, 66, 67 & 68.

So how do you make these address changes using the Select?

Well firstly, the Select does not have a separate 'programming output'. So you must disconnect the Select from the track and thus everything else that is also connected to the track. With the Select output completely isolated, you make a direct wired connection (as per the dotted lines in my drawing) so that the Select is ONLY connected to the R8247 Number 1.

With the R8247 directly connected to the Select.

/media/tinymce_upload/352d3e506024dae3478f2688a92ff5de.jpg

Now disconnect the R8247 Number 1 from the output of the Select and reconnect it to track.

You can now take R8247 Number 2 and connect this directly to the Select instead. You then follow the documented steps above, but this time instead of entering 61 at 'Step 2', you enter 65. This will program the four ports of R8247 Number 2 as 65, 66, 67 & 68.

Now disconnect the R8247 Number 2 from the Select and reattach it to the track.

You can now reattach the Select to the track and test your R8247 point operation using the Select 'Operate Accessory' procedure. What follows assumes that the R8247 Accessory Decoders have accepted their new addresses correctly and are wired correctly to the point motors and are fully functional.

'Operate Accessory' Procedure.

Example using R8247 Port Address 61

• Use the the Select keypad to enter the address 61.
  • Press the 'Select' button (briefly) to select that address.
  • Now use the 'left and right' arrow buttons to switch the point.

Now say you want to operate R8247 Port Address 66.

• Use the the Select keypad to enter the address 66.
  • Now use the 'left and right' arrow buttons to switch the point.

Now say having set your route through your points you want to operate a loco that is configured on DCC Address 8 (all locos MUST be in the address range 1 to 59).

• Use the the Select keypad to enter the address 8.
  • Now use the 'left and right' arrow buttons to select forward / reverse travel direction.
  • Use the 'control knob' to move loco number 8 off from a standstill and adjust its speed.

Now say you want to operate loco address number 5. Loco number 8 meanwhile continues performing the last command that was given to it, until you select it again to tell it to do something different.

• Use the the Select keypad to enter the address 5.
  • Now use the 'left and right' arrow buttons to select forward / reverse travel direction.
  • Use the 'control knob' to move loco number 5 off from a standstill and adjust its speed.

Therefore each time you want to operate a different DCC device, you enter its address on the keypad, press the 'Select' button to select it, then use the arrow buttons and control knob as appropriate to control that device.

NOTES:

If you haven't yet purchased your R8247's yet........you might want to consider other brands of Accessory Decoder. Virtually all the other brands use 'self learning' configuration which is so much more simpler to set up compared to the R8247.

Note also, that the drawing above shows the Hornby 'Red Black Green' point motor wiring colour scheme. Peco point motors for example use a different 'Red Green Black' colour scheme. Get the wiring crossed and it won't work.

Note also, that if your current layout is DC Analogue and you upgrade to Digital (Select). You must either replace or modify all your current DC Analogue power tracks / power clips to DCC Digital versions. And fit DCC Decoders to all your current DC Analogue locomotives. Using the Select DC Analogue loco support feature should be avoided as you are highly likely to damage your DC Analogue locos using it.

TIP: I write long posts. If you intend to write a reply, it would be appreciated if you didn't use the 'White Arrow in Blue Box' button. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. It is best to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

• 3 years later...

Hi

I read your article on connecting r8247 accessory decoder to an r8213 select digital controller (28 Feb 19). In your article you mentioned a drawing that describes the physical connectivity. However the diagram seems to be missing from your article. Is there any chance of the diagram being republished as I have the same problem as Chrissaf. The instructions are very clear but would like the diagram.

Thanks

SteveR

Steve

There are a couple of very unfortunate things in play here.

First is that Chris posted his initial response on the old forum and all legacy images were lost during the transfer to the new forum. Hornby is supposedly working to retrieve these but we are not holding out much hope.

Secondly sadly Chris passed away recently taking his vast knowledge and resource with him and we have no way of retrieving that.

It is possible that someone may have saved his articles and can repost applicable parts, then we can properly archive it.

If you are thinking of going digital does that mean that you have purchased the Select. If not may I suggest that you look around. There are better devices on the market, which will give you more expandability for the future.

@colin

Check the posting dates. The person thinking of going digital was wayback in 2019. The post was recently dredged up and carried forward without mention of intent other than requesting the diagrams for using R8247s with a Select.

Thanks for replying guys. I know it was a long time ago since it was first posted but thought I'd give it a go. Yes you are quite right I have only been using dcc for about a year but am learning fast - I hope. Hopefully I will get a diagram soon - am looking around, but when I do I will post it. On a personal note to 96RAF - was there mate 1969-2002!

Thanks again.

If it's OK, can I 'jump in' to this discussion, as I was about to post a very similar question in a new thread?

Now that my layout is 95% ready, I was talking (this morning) to my friendly hobby shop guy - who has just repaired a Hornby Terrier and a Bachmann Ivatt for me - about my 'winter project'.

I have decided that I will 'power' some of the 18 points on the layout, maybe starting with 4 that I use most, and in such a way that allows me to stay at the controller end of the baseboard - so manual changing is not an option.

He suggested Hornby solenoid point motors, and a DCC accessories controller to be used with my Hornby Select DCC controller.

That's as far as I've got, other than if I can, I'd like to avoid buying a new main controller.

Can someone suggest if this is feasible and point me towards how it is all wired up.

Thanks, Stephen

@stephen

Your question is answered by Chris in the long post above but as previously stated it is missing the vital diagrams.

You may wish to read FAQs 5 and 6 in the RM section as the basic principle is the same, especially for other make self learning acc decoders which may be a better alternative to the Hornby R8247 units.

The only limitation you have to stand by is the Select can only handle acc addresses of 61-99 in 4-lump groups.