E link not powering track

I started a DCC layout 2 months ago and it has been working fine, until today.  There seems to be no power to the track.  I have checked all of the settings and they are as defined in the manual.  I have also changed the ini file to read "1" in the Alternative comms and Check controller fields.  I have started and re-started both Railmaster and my computer.  A couple of times it told me that the USB needed to be unplugged and plugged back in.  However the system seems to come up normally now until I try and run a locomotive.  I have tried taking the wires from the elink to the tracks in and out.  When I do that I get the message "DCC CONTROLLER ERROR - PLEASE CLEAR THE SHORT CIRCUIT"  I have checked the complete layout and can find nothing that would cause a short circuit.  I did put 2 new, manual, points in today and re-arranged the layout but don't see how that would cause the problem.

Replies need to be fairly simple as I am a total beginner in model railways.

Not wise to start changing unrelated settings that were working fine until you fiddled with something else. Look at the something else to see why it caused the fault as it obviously did or it at least had a causal effect, e.g. you disturbed something else when you fitted the new something, maybe a powerclip got nudged loose when you fitted the point.

Another analogy for not fiddling with the ini file would be - you wouldn't change the gearbox in your car because the engine was misfiring would you.

If necessary go back to the last working scenario then change things one by one checking it still works as you go. when it stops again you know where the problem is.

Also do not overlook the obvious such as the power supply has failed - is the eLink green light on.

I have tried taking the wires from the eLink to the tracks in and out.  When I do that I get the message "DCC CONTROLLER ERROR - PLEASE CLEAR THE SHORT CIRCUIT".

Despite what you think. That error message would seem to indicate that your layout has a 'short circuit' on it. You really need to invest in a cheap eBay Multi-meter (less than £8 delivered options are available) to do proper diagnostic testing. Regarding 'short circuits' see the next section in my reply.

I did put 2 new, manual, points in today and re-arranged the layout but don't see how that would cause the problem.

This seems to me to be a significant clue, that you seem intent on ignoring. As other's have asked, what brand of points are these two new ones? Peco Electrofrog points can create a 'short circuit' if not correctly installed with the requisite Insulated Rail Joiners on the two frog rails. Hornby insulfrog points have been known to leave the factory as faulty items with a short circuit and faulty Hornby points from the factory happen more frequently than you would consider to be normal. So just because the points are new installations it is unwise to just assume that they are not the cause of your issue.

This previous thread describes the Hornby faulty points issue in more detail.

Faulty Point (Short Circuit)

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/loop-siding-short-circuit-problem/?p=1/#post-231478

As Rob says, remove the changes you have made and reinstate the layout to how it was. If the fault clears, you know that it is due to something that you have done as part of the changes. Start putting the changes back, one element at a time and test for the 'short' between each change until you find the change that is causing the problem.

As I said above, if you can get access to a multi-meter you can firstly prove very quickly (before you change anything) whether a 'short circuit' is present or not. And if one is present, a multi-meter will allow you to find the cause of it more efficiently.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

You said you re-arranged the layout.  What changes have you made? 

As has already been said, it is likely that you have created the Short Circuit with the changes you have made.

(As a new Forum member, your initial posts are limited and you may not be able to reply until tomorrow)

Maybe your rearrangement has created a Reverse Loop situation which would result in a short circuit every time you started up.

WW makes a very good point. If you could sketch your revised layout topology and post the image, any Reverse Loop that you might have introduced could be easily identified and a solution to it could also be published back here.

How do I include an image / photo in my post?

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-do-i-include-an-image-photo-in-my-post/?p=1

Maybe your rearrangement has created a Reverse Loop situation which would result in a short circuit every time you started up.

WW makes a very good point. If you could sketch your revised layout topology and post the image, any Reverse Loop that you might have introduced could be easily identified and a solution to it could also be published back here.

How do I include an image / photo in my post?

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-do-i-include-an-image-photo-in-my-post/?p=1

I can reply at last.   I discovered that it was not the points but one of two tracks that I was connecting.  The suggestion of a reverse loop sent me to Youtube and I now know that is the answer.  I have altered the layout and all is working fine now.  Thank you.  No doubt I will be back with another 'disaster' at some stage.

Archived